Data Base got large

Hi,

I have a site that only has 11 Posts that I primarily use as a website for viewing with no interaction with members, I don't take members.  

But my hosting company contacted me to tell me that the Database is unusually large of 14gb.  Is there anything I can do to possibly clean this up?

23 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Without understanding what particular table is large or what is going on at the database level, we can't really tell you if this is normal or not.

Sorry if this is not the right way to do it or if I need to get you channel access

Here's a snap shot of what I can see without doing anything serious to the tables.  I only have 11 posts, and use the gallery.  

Could contain: Page, Text, City

Could contain: Page, Text, City, Number, Symbol

Of your database is that large with only a very small number of posts, then something is very likely wrong on the hosting side, to be honest. However you do have a duplicate set of data there. check your prefix in conf_global.php. If it doesnt start with orig_ then you should delete all the tables that begin with that. Ensure you backup of course

13 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Of your database is that large with only a very small number of posts, then something is very likely wrong on the hosting side, to be honest. However you do have a duplicate set of data there. check your prefix in conf_global.php. If it doesnt start with orig_ then you should delete all the tables that begin with that. Ensure you backup of course

Here's what I see when I open up that file

<?php

$INFO = array (
  'sql_driver' => 'mysql',
  'sql_host' => 'localhost',
  'sql_database' => 'westco5_IPB',
  'sql_user' => '*****',
  'sql_pass' => '*******',
  'sql_tbl_prefix' => '',
  'sql_debug' => '1',
  'sql_charset' => 'utf8mb4',
  'board_start' => '1264124418',
  'installed' => '1',
  'php_ext' => 'php',
  'safe_mode' => '0',
  'board_url' => 'http://westcoastsignco.com/forums',
  'banned_group' => '5',
  'admin_group' => '4',
  'guest_group' => '2',
  'member_group' => '3',
  'auth_group' => '1',
  'use_friendly_urls' => '0',
  '_jsDebug' => '0',
  'mysql_tbl_type' => 'MyISAM',
  'sql_utf8mb4' => true,
);

except for the ***** 

So, these should say for example:

orig_'sql_driver' => 'msql'

Yes, there are not such big tables based on your screenshot. You could also order them by their size by clicking on the table's header. In any case, it seems like your hosting is calculating wrongly the database size.

Unless you have more databases on your account other than the forum one?

P.S.: You might also want to switch your board_url to use HTTPS:

Honestly I’m not sure there is a problem here at all. We are talking about 15 MB TOTAL in size.  Your themes and JS are taking the most space but those will be the same regardless if there is 1 or a million posts. The cache is 7MB but 3 of it is overhead that could be cleaned up. Personally I would convert all tables from MyISAM to InnoDB. But the things that are taking space are not related to the things that would scale based on number of items posted. 

• 1 month later...

So my issue with this froze up my sites from my hosting company because the data bases of 2 of three sites became too large.  

My hosting company wants to know what the table CORE_OUTPUT_CACHE is for.  These have thousands of database entries.

Of the three sites, the only one that is active is less than 10 megs.  The other two for th sites that are not active and only use as viewing websites are 28 Gigs, and other being 11 Gigs.

What is this table for?

Thanks

6 minutes ago, Stuart Silvester said:

It was used for guest page caching in earlier versions. It's no longer used in current releases.

Thank you for responding.  Is there a command or something to run, to clear it out to free up space?

Thanks