Outgoing email settings

Go to solution Solved by Randy Calvert,

I'm seeing these in Gmail on the received emails for moderators (not sure about members) -

signed-by: invisioncloudcommunity.com

Body: "User has posted a post in a topic requiring approval"...

Why is it not using the "Outgoing Email Address" specified in Email Settings?

Where do I configure them to show my email address and domain?

Account on IC cloud.

Edited by WebCMS

If you actually click the reply button, you will see it go to your community address. In order for IPB to send the email on your behalf and not get denied by AWS or other email servers, it has to be done this way.

There is no way to use the IPB mail server and to customize how it’s sent. If you don’t want this, you will need to provide your own mail server by entering the details for it in the SMTP settings. 

Edited by Randy Calvert

Email clients like Outlook and Apple Mail are displaying just the name part (SiteName) with a down arrow when clicked reveals the email address - noreply@invisioncloudcommunity.com

But in Gmail web, it displays the entire "Community <noreply@invisioncloudcommunity.com>". Is it possible to display just the Name part in Gmail? It could display the email part on hovering over the name part which is fine.

Will setting up SMTP would save the thousands of sent and received emails in the email account? Or is it possible to configure SMTP not to save sent emails in Sent folder?

Edited by WebCMS

• Solution

That is not an IPB issue. It’s how the mail client operates. IPS is using the “Sent On Behalf Of” feature of email protocol. This allows them to use their domain and email account without requiring setup of SPF/DKIM, etc. It also means they don’t have to get your domain approved to send email through AWS SES (which is not an easy/simple process).  

So IPS cannot configure how they’re sending email without making every CiC go through a long and painful process that AWS may reject regardless.  

Literally there is no configuration of the CiC email service. You either use it or you use your own mail sender. 

In terms of SMTP, that’s a question for your SMTP provider.  You should pose the question to them as it’s outside of the IPB software. I would highly recommend against using free providers like Gmail, iCloud, Hotmail etc. You are likely to end up rate limited and will need to deal with application specific passwords since most of those services now require 2FA. 

Edited by Randy Calvert

By the way…. I thought this would be a problem on my community when I first moved to CiC. It literally was the last thing that held me back for 3-4 months. 

It’s now been more than a year later and with over 8K unique daily users, I have had literally ZERO people ask about it.  I also no longer have people who end up complaining that email to them is flagged as spam, etc. 

Edited by Randy Calvert

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2023 at 7:08 PM, Randy Calvert said:

I also no longer have people who end up complaining that email to them is flagged as spam, etc. 

I've had some issues since switching to the Cloud and having notifications sent from noreply@invisioncloudcommunity.com. I have had members complaining that their notification emails are getting flagged as spam. I've noticed that DMARC isn't set up. I ran a test through valli.org and found quite a few blacklists (black) and failures (red) for that email address unfortunately:

Data of the received email
Receiving timestamp (UTC): 2023-11-21 08:34:01 Sender IP: 54.240.11.73
Sender HELO: a11-73.smtp-out.amazonses.com Sender address: 0100018bf103208b-04bef0d6-70b9-4d71-8bbc-9802bf8bb27d-000000@amazonses.com
From address: =?UTF-8?B?TG9naWMgUHJvIEhlbHA=?= <noreply@invisioncloudcommunity.com>

DNSBL Blacklist Test Summary 288 of 288 tests done.
Results Not listed: 265 Blacklisted: 14 Brownlisted: 0 Yellowlisted: 0 Whitelisted: 0 Neutrallisted: 0 Failed: 9
Processing All done
DNSBL Combinedlist Test Summary 21 of 21 tests done.
Results Not listed: 12 Blacklisted: 0 Brownlisted: 0 Yellowlisted: 2 Whitelisted: 4 Neutrallisted: 2 Failed: 1
Processing All done
DNSBL Whitelist Test Summary 41 of 41 tests done.
Results Not listed: 32 Blacklisted: 0 Brownlisted: 0 Yellowlisted: 0 Whitelisted: 8 Neutrallisted: 0 Failed: 1
Processing All done
DNSBL Informationallist Test Summary 17 of 17 tests done.
Results Not listed: 5 Blacklisted: 0 Brownlisted: 0 Yellowlisted: 0 Whitelisted: 0 Neutrallisted: 12 Failed: 0
Processing All done
Edited by David N.

2 hours ago, David N. said:

I've had some issues since switching to the Cloud and having notifications sent from noreply@invisioncloudcommunity.com. I have had members complaining that their notification emails are getting flagged as spam. I've noticed that DMARC isn't set up. I ran a test through valli.org and found quite a few blacklists (black) and failures (red) for that email address unfortunately:

Data of the received email
Receiving timestamp (UTC): 2023-11-21 08:34:01 Sender IP: 54.240.11.73
Sender HELO: a11-73.smtp-out.amazonses.com Sender address: 0100018bf103208b-04bef0d6-70b9-4d71-8bbc-9802bf8bb27d-000000@amazonses.com
From address: =?UTF-8?B?TG9naWMgUHJvIEhlbHA=?= <noreply@invisioncloudcommunity.com>

DNSBL Blacklist Test Summary 288 of 288 tests done.
Results Not listed: 265 Blacklisted: 14 Brownlisted: 0 Yellowlisted: 0 Whitelisted: 0 Neutrallisted: 0 Failed: 9
Processing All done
DNSBL Combinedlist Test Summary 21 of 21 tests done.
Results Not listed: 12 Blacklisted: 0 Brownlisted: 0 Yellowlisted: 2 Whitelisted: 4 Neutrallisted: 2 Failed: 1
Processing All done
DNSBL Whitelist Test Summary 41 of 41 tests done.
Results Not listed: 32 Blacklisted: 0 Brownlisted: 0 Yellowlisted: 0 Whitelisted: 8 Neutrallisted: 0 Failed: 1
Processing All done
DNSBL Informationallist Test Summary 17 of 17 tests done.
Results Not listed: 5 Blacklisted: 0 Brownlisted: 0 Yellowlisted: 0 Whitelisted: 0 Neutrallisted: 12 Failed: 0
Processing All done

I have passed on this information