Possible bug with quoted post link in archived posts

Go to solution Solved by sadams101,

I have found that for all of my site's archived posts, which is ~90% of my site's content, that the link to the original post (that appears on the upper-right corner of the quoted post), throws a 404 not found error. This does not happen to the same links in non-archived posts, just in the archived ones. More info on the error code:

Error code: 2S226/3
		try
		{
			$commentClass = $class::$commentClass;
			$comment = $commentClass::load( \IPS\Request::i()->content_commentid );
			$item = $comment->item();
		}
		catch( \OutOfRangeException $ex )
		{
			\IPS\Output::i()->error( 'node_error', '2S226/3', 404, '' );
		}

and an example is the quote in this post:

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/105911-for-celiacs-with-joint-pain/#comment-902358

The link at the upper-right corner of the quoted post there is this one:

https://www.celiac.com/?app=core&module=system&controller=content&do=find&content_class=forums_Topic&content_id=105911&content_commentid=902357

which throws the 404 not found error, as do all links like this in all of the quoted posts that are archived. There are several other quoted posts on the same page to test.

On my test site I've tried disabling all custom plugins and applications, and the problem persists.

Any ideas?

Edited by sadams101

• sadams101 changed the title to Possible bug with quoted post link in archived posts

Here is a page from 2016 (my settings archive posts 5 years or older), and each quoted post on the page has the same problem. Again, only archived posts have this issue, not unarchved posts:
https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/119723-6-month-update-still-broken/

I noticed that your site's archived posts do not include the link in the upper right corner...is this a modification? Should my site not have such links in archived posts?

We would need to look further into this for you, however the access details on file appear to be incorrect or missing. Could you please update these details by visiting your client area, selecting the relevant purchase, then clicking "Review/Update Access Information" under the "Stored Access Information" section. 

We look forward to further assisting you. 

17 minutes ago, DawPi said:

It's really easy to understand Jim. 🙂

URL pointing into forums_Topic item type. It's fine, but as it's archived item then  it should look for \IPS\forums\TopicArchivedPost here:

$commentClass = $class::$commentClass;

Instead of \IPS\forums\Post

Have to remember not everyone is a programmer 😉 .

I have tagged one for assistance. 

• Solution

Another clue to this--the issue began to be recorded in Google Search Console on 7/28/23, and in my notes for my site:

7/21/2023 - Upgraded from Invision Community v4.7.11 to Invision Community v4.7.12.

Something in that upgrade caused these links to break.

Just FYI...and I can't say for sure that the upgrade mentioned above caused this issue, but the evidence I see points that way. Due to this causing, in my case, thousands of 404 not found links throughout my site (Google recorded 15K and counting, and it was going up daily since 7/21), which is just terrible for SEO and google ranking, I had @DawPi create a plugin that fixes the issue. 

I hope that IPB can look into this to determine if this might have been caused by the update mentioned. Sorry I could not wait for the ticket process, but others with the same issue may find this thread and offer some more support for this possibility. 

Edited by sadams101

• 2 months later...