Invision Community 5: The All New Theme Editor

18 hours ago, Ehren said:

The header background in the intro was added via Custom CSS. I've been thinking of the best way to add an image feature for the header, but making a simple UI for something like that is ironically a very complex task since you also need to cater for the multiple header/nav bars as you mentioned. It's very simple to add using CSS, so at least there's a simple fallback if nothing else comes to mind before the release date 🙂

There are no plans for gradients, but since you seem pretty confident with CSS, you'll have no problems adding them using the code editor 🙂

Thanks Ehren - yeah it won't be an issue for me to just add this via custom CSS. 🙂 

With gradients I can definitely work those in manually, but would I be able to reference any CSS colour swatch variables from the settings, or will I need to set those colours myself (i.e. "--lightmode-basecontrast1" or something)? It's no problem either way, just curious - but it would definitely save some effort if there's some dynamic colour swatch CSS variables out of the box 😄

Thanks again for the fantastic effort!

This looks really, really good. I'm so glad to see new CSS underpinning everything - about time! Automatically creating color palettes from main colors is lovely too. While we worked towards some of these changes with v4 it was always difficult without breaking the entire ecosystem. I'm happy you've managed to get a clean break.

You've really done a fantastic job, @Ehren. Congratulations! You've left no work for the designers. We're left wondering what we can improve. You've included all the features. Jokes aside, thank you for your efforts. I have a question that's been on my mind. As we know, design developers create unique templates for themselves in different themes. These templates are visible in all designs after the Designers' Mode process. I actually consider this to be an issue. Each design should have its own unique templates, and these templates should not be displayed in other designs. Is there any work or development in progress regarding this matter?

Will there be any adjustments regarding the Designers' Mode duration? For someone with many designs, this can be quite frustrating. I haven't been in the IPS field for a long time, so I might have missed some updates. I apologize for that. I'll need to review everything again.

6 hours ago, Dreadknux said:

With gradients I can definitely work those in manually, but would I be able to reference any CSS colour swatch variables from the settings, or will I need to set those colours myself (i.e. "--lightmode-basecontrast1" or something)?

You sure can:

body{
  background: linear-gradient(to bottom, var(--i-base_3), var(--i-base-contrast_3));
}

3 hours ago, OsmanK said:

I have a question that's been on my mind. As we know, design developers create unique templates for themselves in different themes. These templates are visible in all designs after the Designers' Mode process.

Designers Mode has been revamped for version 5. Matt gives a brief overview here, but with the addition of "template hooks" in favour of the template editor, you won't have that issue anymore 🙂

Next generation software. At first I was skeptical about IC5 but with more and more announcements, I think it looks very good. Many improvements and facilities for people without experience in creating a theme or plugins.

Personally, I am happy with the new sidebar and clickable panels. The mobile menu is also cool, it fulfills its function because I have such a menu in my community and it makes navigation much easier.

Very good work so far, looking forward to more announcements 🤜🤛