Issue with Uploading Large Files Over 100MB: Need Help

Hi, I have a problem with sending large files as an attachment. When the file is below 100MB, I can send it without any issues. However, when the file exceeds 100MB, the upload process starts for a second and then suddenly stops. I don't get any error messages. In the admin control panel, I have set an unlimited file size limit and allowed all extensions. I am sending a .rar package, but the file extension does not matter. The server configuration is correctly set up for sending large files with options like client_max_body_size = 2048m, post_max_size = 2048M, upload_max_filesize = 1024M. I am attaching a gif to illustrate the problem. Please help.

GIF TEST UPLOAD BIG FILE AND NORMAL

@Jim M

Edited by PanSevence

Would recommend disabling all third party applications/plugins and switching to an unmodified theme to just rule these items out. There should be an error which pops up at some juncture to warn the user the upload failed. If you are refreshing prior to that happening, I would just sit and await that to happen.

@Jim M I recorded a video for you in which I followed the above recommendations. I turned off all applications and plugins. I switched to the default theme. The problem still persists; I can send files up to 100MB without any issue, but anything larger results in an error. The first time, I received a -200 error, but usually, it doesn't show up. It looks like what happened on the second attempt: the file starts uploading for a moment, and then the upload is interrupted.

-200 would mean that there is a server error when processing the upload. I'm afraid, you will want to work with your hosting provider or server administrator to further troubleshoot the issue.

It is worth mentioning that our software does support chunked uploading so having your PHP configuration set super high may actually be hurting it.

@Jim M I have contacted the administrator, we tried many different configurations of php, nginx and apache2 but unfortunately the problem still exists. We are out of ideas on how to solve this issue hence this topic. Why does it look like only 1 fragment is being sent and the connection is interrupted with a larger file than 100mb. How can I diagnose the problem? We tried higher and lower php configurations to no avail. I need to transfer larger files for my community.

2 minutes ago, PanSevence said:

@Jim M I have contacted the administrator, we tried many different configurations of php, nginx and apache2 but unfortunately the problem still exists. We are out of ideas on how to solve this issue hence this topic. Why does it look like only 1 fragment is being sent and the connection is interrupted with a larger file than 100mb. How can I diagnose the problem? We tried higher and lower php configurations to no avail. I need to transfer larger files for my community.

You would need to diagnose this at a server-level, I'm afraid. As it is a server error, we cannot tell you what and why this is happening.

If you use a WAF, like CloudFlare, ensure you're not exceeding any pre-set limits inherent in that service either.

You would need to wait for that change to impact your DNS. Unfortunately, again though, any hosting side conflicts or errors would need to be investigated by your hosting provider or server administrator. If you continue to have issues, perhaps simplifying your configuration may help you find those more easily.

I understand that I probably won't get any tips here that would solve the problem, but thank you for trying to help. I will continue to try to solve this issue. It's unfortunate that there's nobody in support who handles your cloud, as I might then get more technical guidance.

5 minutes ago, PanSevence said:

It's unfortunate that there's nobody in support who handles your cloud, as I might then get more technical guidance.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here as I do provide support to our Cloud, as well. We would only provide software support for our Classic (self-hosted) licensed individuals. Supplying PHP configurations, like you are asking for, would be outside of that support as it is supporting servers, rather than software.

Outside of the information already provided, working with your hosting provider on why you are having issues here would be the best method of support as they should be able to capture the error which is happening here while the upload is being processed on the server and help you troubleshoot it.

9 minutes ago, PanSevence said:

@Jim M It looks like the issue with sending has been resolved, but now when I send a file weighing 2GB, I receive the following error:

0d70436b4c75aab98fe616336b5d31b1.png

attach_filesize on core_attachments is int 10 by default so it should hold 2GB in bytes no problem. Would suggest checking to ensure that your database tables align with the default and this is not from a third party application/plugin.

@Jim M I followed the recommendations and turned off all plugins and applications. I tried sending it on the default theme and encountered the same problem, so the plugins are not causing this issue. In the database, this column is set to int 11 file size 2 129 191 KB

Edited by PanSevence

@Jim M @Marc Stridgen I have resolved the earlier issue. However, when I still upload a file weighing 2GB, I receive this error. In the database, I have the type set to int 11 by default, I tried disabling all plugins and applications and uploading on the default theme without any changes. What can I do to resolve this problem? I am attaching the log from acp.

49cd34e3a1610b87fc106d13a7be3bb5.png

INSERT INTO `core_attachments` ( `attach_ext`, `attach_file`, `attach_location`, `attach_thumb_location`, `attach_thumb_width`, `attach_thumb_height`, `attach_is_image`, `attach_hits`, `attach_date`, `attach_post_key`, `attach_member_id`, `attach_filesize`, `attach_img_width`, `attach_img_height`, `attach_is_archived`, `attach_moderation_status`, `attach_security_key` ) VALUES ( 'rar', 'entry-vm-v1.4.rar', 'monthly_2023_10/entry-vm-v1.4_rar.d2ff72776df73a3561e792020bb3e54d', '', 0, 0, 0, 0, 1697633557, 'f28b1ff52823b48674311484f47e3e01', 1, 2180291008, 0, 0, false, 'skipped', 'c38f32ccf2d9047e5bf1704efc9c40bc' )
Out of range value for column 'attach_filesize' at row 1

#0 /home/sharegon/web/sharegon.pl/public_html/system/Db/Db.php(941): IPS\_Db->preparedQuery()
#1 /home/sharegon/web/sharegon.pl/public_html/system/File/File.php(1366): IPS\_Db->insert()
#2 /home/sharegon/web/sharegon.pl/public_html/system/Helpers/Form/Editor.php(738): IPS\_File->makeAttachment()
#3 /home/sharegon/web/sharegon.pl/public_html/system/Helpers/Form/Upload.php(285): IPS\Helpers\Form\_Editor->IPS\Helpers\Form\{closure}()
#4 /home/sharegon/web/sharegon.pl/public_html/system/Helpers/Form/Editor.php(766): IPS\Helpers\Form\_Upload->__construct()
#5 /home/sharegon/web/sharegon.pl/public_html/system/Helpers/Form/Editor.php(185): IPS\Helpers\Form\_Editor->getUploader()
#6 /home/sharegon/web/sharegon.pl/public_html/system/Content/Controller.php(2694): IPS\Helpers\Form\_Editor->__construct()
#7 /home/sharegon/web/sharegon.pl/public_html/applications/forums/modules/front/forums/topic.php(1247): IPS\Content\_Controller->_edit()
#8 /home/sharegon/web/sharegon.pl/public_html/system/Content/Controller.php(2425): IPS\forums\modules\front\forums\_topic->_edit()
#9 /home/sharegon/web/sharegon.pl/public_html/applications/forums/modules/front/forums/topic.php(1275): IPS\Content\_Controller->__call()
#10 /home/sharegon/web/sharegon.pl/public_html/system/Dispatcher/Controller.php(107): IPS\forums\modules\front\forums\_topic->__call()
#11 /home/sharegon/web/sharegon.pl/public_html/system/Content/Controller.php(50): IPS\Dispatcher\_Controller->execute()
#12 /home/sharegon/web/sharegon.pl/public_html/applications/forums/modules/front/forums/topic.php(39): IPS\Content\_Controller->execute()
#13 /home/sharegon/web/sharegon.pl/public_html/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(153): IPS\forums\modules\front\forums\_topic->execute()
#14 /home/sharegon/web/sharegon.pl/public_html/index.php(13): IPS\_Dispatcher->run()
#15 {main}

The reason for the original issue is that 2180291008 is higher than 2147483647, which is the maximum value of an INT column if the column is signed, which is the default for INT - unsigned (for zero and positive numbers only) allows that limit to be doubled.

https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/integer-types.html

https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/8.0/en/integer-types.html

17 minutes ago, PanSevence said:

When I set the column to big int, I can transfer the file without any issues. However, then I receive a critical error in the ACP database. Is there an option to prevent this so that after changing to big int I won't get this message?

There is no way around it telling you that your table column is incorrect, as its not the original. I have reported internally as a bug however