Pages Database Filter inconsistencies

It seems when using a Pages Database filter for a corresponding database on a page, there are some issues in what is presented/selected in the filtering vs what is presented in the records list.

1. The record count displayed does not reflect the filtered record count but rather the total unfiltered record count in the database.
  2. If you set field defaults, they are highlighted in the filter but not actually filtered on
  3. If you clear a field default, the records will be filtered correctly, however the filter state will show the default is selected

Ultimately there are just several disjoints between the state of the filter and the actual results.

It always worked like that in 4.x. 
I usually avoid using default values for fields because of this behaviour. I’m sure it’s all “working as intended”, just not exactly what a user (or even admin) would expect. 

Suggestions:

1. show the actual number of filtered items
  2. don’t pre-select default field values (which are useful in the record form and during record creation) in the filter widget. 
  3. (Clover’s point 3 is just a side-effect of point 2.)

1 hour ago, opentype said:

It always worked like that in 4.x. 
I usually avoid using default values for fields because of this behaviour. I’m sure it’s all “working as intended”, just not exactly what a user (or even admin) would expect. 

Suggestions:

1. show the actual number of filtered items
  2. don’t pre-select default field values (which are useful in the record form and during record creation) in the filter widget. 
  3. (Clover’s point 3 is just a side-effect of point 2.)

Yes on #1, the summary result count should match the actual count of the results.

Regarding #2, I think defaults serve a purpose both in the report presentation layer and in facilitating form/data entry that feeds those reports, but those are two different use cases with potentially two different sets of requirements/goals. 

I have done this type of work extensively in a corporate setting, and filter management is an essential aspect that has clear coupling to the presentation and the filters should align for the sake of clarity throughout.  The far more complex scenario is getting into multi-component/context and sharing filters across contexts to keep that holistic multi-component presentation unified (even across pages).  With that said, in the IPS world, the Pages reports are single page/report oriented so it's a 1:1 coordination and in that it should always match. 

You can have defaults for a default landing page, but those defaults should not override user selection otherwise you fall out of sync between filter and report, thus leading to confusion for the user.  That customized filter (user selection) is a completely different view and should be treated as such.  With proper analytics, you can observe user trends and frequently filtered target screens to prioritize your own product's (site's) menu links and bubble up those higher demand views.

Also yes on #3, it is a side effect of #2, was just adding that in there to highlight exactly that.  Once you create this disjoint between filter and report it leads to unintended and unclear views.

1 hour ago, Jim M said:

Do you have a database we can take a look at this on? 

I'll add notes to the Client area if you want to review my sites that show this.  But if you set up a simple database with a select box with multiple values and set a default value, you'll see where the default will initially be selected on page load even though the resulting result report isn't filtered on it.

Edited by Clover13

• 2 weeks later...

Just adding to this,

• "Remember My Filters" on the listing page doesn't seem to be uncheckable unless you click the "Clear Filters" in the filter dialog below the Add Record button.  A re-save of it unchecked restores it as checked still.
  • The "Save" of a filters with "Remember My Filters" unchecked seems to only filter on filter properties that have either been defaulted by the field config in the database OR by user action (i.e. selecting values).  However if you check "Remember My Filters", it suddenly considers and uses all filter properties.  If they have not been defaulted or user acted upon, they are considered unselected/empty and therefore no results show (if they are required form properties that always have a value).

• 3 months later...

This looks better for sure, the one thing I noticed that wasn't fixed was the total record count.  Regardless of filters selected, it seems to always be the total unfiltered count.  Not a huge issue, but misleading if you're expecting and/or need the count of filtered items.

The record count displayed does not reflect the filtered record count but rather the total unfiltered record count in the database.