Big spike in users caused by Sorry, you do not have permission for that!

44 minutes ago, Washerhelp said:

Thanks. I’m out at the moment but have a look at the main menus Under Activity

https://www.washerhelp.co.uk/forums/forum/39-uk-washing-machine-repair-questions/

When a GUEST views that page, they don't see "Unread Activity".  They see "All Activity". Those are different URLs.

Could contain: Page, Text

"All Activity" = domain.com/discover
"Unread Activity" = domain.com/discover/unread

As noted earlier...  IPB does not track guest read/unread state.  It's impossible because the read state is different for each guest and there is no way to track "which" guest.  

When browsing the site as a guest, IPB does not display "Unread Activity" anywhere.  It's possible a link was posted by a user and it was indexed, or it's possible there is a random crawler that is trying to scrape your site, etc.  

Edited by Randy Calvert

10 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

When a GUEST views that page, they don't see "Unread Activity".  They see "All Activity". Those are different URLs.

Actually I do see as a Guest not applicable options on some forums using the Default IPS theme. The best example is @DawPi's forum (I believe he did not modify anything):

Could contain: Text, Page, File

I can't reproduce on my forum but I am a little bit behind (IPS 4.7.7).

Edited by Luuuk

3 minutes ago, Luuuk said:

Actually I do see as a Guest not applicable options on some forums using the Default IPS theme. The best example is @DawPi's forum (I believe he did not modify anything):

Could contain: Text, Page, File

I can't reproduce on my forum but I am a little bit behind (IPS 4.7.7).

I just checked my localhost test install...

Could contain: Text, Page

The default does not have it in there.  I'm assuming after the install someone manually changed the permissions in the Menu Manager.  The fix for that is to make sure the menu permissions are set to "Show this item to users who can access this content".  If you've manually chosen groups, you need to remove guests from whatever you've set.  

Could contain: Page, Text, Document, Invoice

Just now, Randy Calvert said:

The fix for that is to make sure the menu permissions are set to "Show this item to users who can access this content".  If you've manually chosen groups, you need to remove guests from whatever you've set.  

vs.

On 4/14/2023 at 2:42 PM, Washerhelp said:

I looked at where the settings are for this under the menu manager. The unread content section was set to "I want to choose which groups can see this item" but guests was already ticked. So I instead ticked the, "Show this item to users who can access its content" option which made no difference. I even tried going back to setting individual permissions, selecting "non" and saving, and then re-selecting "All" including guests. But nothing works.

I just tested changing the setting and it worked fine for me.  Does this happen when trying to change the setting in a different browser?  If not, what about disabling all 3rd party resources and then changing it back to the default value?

One of the staff can check to see if they can adjust it back to default in the menu manager as well.  

Edited by Randy Calvert

On 4/14/2023 at 1:42 PM, Washerhelp said:

The unread content section was set to "I want to choose which groups can see this item" but guests was already ticked. So I instead ticked the, "Show this item to users who can access its content" option which made no difference. I even tried going back to setting individual permissions, selecting "non" and saving, and then re-selecting "All" including guests. But nothing works.

Did you click the "Publish this menu" button after doing these changes?

17 hours ago, Washerhelp said:

There’s nothing to see really. Just menu manager with the option to let guests see unread content. It should be same in any invision as it’s part of it. 

The reality is, nobody else is having the same issue, as you have seen above. Without access, unfortunately we are unable to further advise

Thank you all for your replies. They've been very helpful, and thanks for the tip about the publish this menu option. The publish this menu option is displayed out of sight, above the fold, and on the opposite side to where you make the changes. So I didn't see it.

When you have made changes, there is a Save Menu Item button. But for reasons I can't fathom, the Publish this menu button is completely out of sight, at the top left of the page. See screenshot below

So my solution to this last issue was to untick the option to let guests see unread content. I'd tried that before and saved the changes, but as described above, I did not see the published this menu option.

I'm surprised that we are allowed to let people see content that they are not allowed to, and therefore generating errors. But I do have to admit that I've only just seen the text underneath the option to "let me choose..", Which warns of this very thing. So that's my bad.

I appreciate that there might be certain things a forum owner might want to show to guests - maybe to tempt them to sign up, though if this is the case, I think it would be a good idea to send people who are not authorised to view certain aspects to a signup page saying join our forum to see this content instead of generating an error page.

3 minutes ago, Washerhelp said:

So my solution to this last issue was to untick the option to let guests see unread content. I'd tried that before and saved the changes, but as described above, I did not see the published this menu option.

If you are saving the change, but not seeing a "publish this menu" button then your change isn't really being put in effect.

I'm going to include a bigger screenshot to show where the "Publish this menu" button is, just in case you couldn't see it because it was off-screen when you were working on things.

Could contain: File, Page, Text, Webpage

4 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

If you are saving the change, but not seeing a "publish this menu" button then your change isn't really being put in effect.

I'm going to include a bigger screenshot to show where the "Publish this menu" button is, just in case you couldn't see it because it was off-screen when you were working on things.

Thank you, but I know where the button is. I just published this photo to show that the published this menu button is ridiculously easy to miss because it is not anywhere near the save this menu item.

Edited by Washerhelp