upgrading our forum, ack, please help?

3 minutes ago, raincat said:

OK, I see that too now, if this is the normal end of my board URL:

/board/

now this actually works?

/board/?test

This is my first experience with . . . whatever this is, really hard core caching, because I promise I really was hitting the refresh button, for real.  And the first URL still isn't working for me either, in browsers I've not used in quite some time.

So just contact my webhost and say what would you recommend, if you'd care to add?  Just explain this situation or . . . is there some other name for this?

Thanks so far (not jinxing this by assuming I'm done yet, I might have to come back and complain again gee I sure hope not. 🙂. )

It sounds like they're simply caching the page by URL because I can break the cache by appending a URL parameter that does nothing in our software. That's really all I can say.

So thanks, I just cleared the site caches with the webhost, I am able to load the forum again, but now I'm  anxious.  🙂

If I want to get some third party things going again, particularly some that have an update, would it be better just to download that new update right away rather than trying to turn my third party things back on to see if they work?

Just like assume they don't?

I'm trying not to crash the board again, but confused about what happened here and if there's a lesson I need to learn other than . . . clear caches after any site changes, I guess?  At least with this webhost?  Thanks!

8 minutes ago, raincat said:

If I want to get some third party things going again, particularly some that have an update, would it be better just to download that new update right away rather than trying to turn my third party things back on to see if they work?

Just like assume they don't?

I would check that all your add-ons are compatible with the latest release and PHP 8. Then upgrade. Then enable those that are.

9 minutes ago, raincat said:

I'm trying not to crash the board again, but confused about what happened here and if there's a lesson I need to learn other than . . . clear caches after any site changes, I guess?  At least with this webhost?

That would be something your hosting provider would need to let you know what happened, etc...

Hey thanks . . . I'm looking around now, figuring things out.

One possibly concerning thing about possible crashes, if I click on the support tab in the admin panel, it says I have one critical issue and 4 recommendations?

Is that bad?  I'm just so afraid it might be, eek.

59 minutes ago, raincat said:

One possibly concerning thing about possible crashes, if I click on the support tab in the admin panel, it says I have one critical issue and 4 recommendations?

Do you not have a test environment?

On 2/24/2023 at 10:34 PM, raincat said:

I'm not seeing any critical there now, so assuming you have sorted that one out. The recommended items you should address when you get chance 🙂 This is with the exception of repeating system logs. These are from when you were having issues, so they will eventually disappear as the log is pruned.

• 1 month later...

So hey again, sorry for the delay in posting back . . . if anyone's even noticing that.  Life happened for long minute there and I couldn't get back to this, but in the meantime, the forum was successfully upgraded.  At least we think, at least in terms of function. It seems mostly so.  :)

To 4.7.7?

However, the only way it seems less so is there are still some errors generating under the Notifications, it's a marketplace module with an error URL?  And yes, these are errors since the upgrade, not just from before.  But when I click on it, it says "this file is not compatible with this version of Invision Community."  ?? So I'm not actually sure what's generating it.

I'm wondering if it's the 3 disabled plugins I still have listed.  There are 3 disabled plugins in there we weren't planning on using for anything right now, but didn't uninstall because we thought either we might decide to use them via updating them in the future OR that uninstalling might crash something.  Either way, just left them there, but still disabled.

Should we hit that uninstall button now?  

Would that likely fix this issue with the error URL, or is that something else?

. . . and then if I could ask another question?

Does this mean I can and should or . . . should not do the dashboard updating now?

If it's really going to be that easy if I keep up with it AND there's only the one (previously had two) forums now, can we actually manage to keep it updated like that?  :)

Or is that not a great idea for some reason?

Thanks!  

OK, so I click on the Notifications bell because it has messages for me.  The first one says "an error has been logged."   I click on it, I get this, but you can't actually read the whole URL even if I expand the window:

Could contain: Page, Text

So then I click on the "Error URL" listed there to see what it is, I get this:

Could contain: Page, Text, Chart, Plot

This is in the error log and logging errors which you have encountered and would be expected. The marketplace addon you are trying to view does not have a compatible version for the version you're on so you cannot view it. If the author does not intend to upgrade their application to be compatible, you would want to uninstall that application/plugin.

OK then looking like all plugins are uninstalled and far as I can tell right now, the forum is none the worse for wear.  Yeehaw.

Should I do auto update of forum software and also the theme now?  🙂

Er or . . . is there a good reason that applies to most I would not want to do that?

Edited by raincat

14 minutes ago, raincat said:

OK then looking like all plugins are uninstalled and far as I can tell right now, the forum is none the worse for wear.  Yeehaw.

Should I do auto update of forum software and also the theme now?  🙂

Er or . . . is there a good reason that applies to most I would not want to do that?

If you have any third party applications/plugins/themes, I would check their compatibility for the next release (shouldn't be any different but always good practice to check before doing). Take a full backup (files and database) of your community and then go ahead run the latest release 🙂 .