Age Registration

25 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Could you please upgrade to the latest release first? Then we can further investigate. I remember we used to have a bug with the age on registration so getting to the latest release where I believe this is fixed is the first step.

Now that i can do lol

I've been having this problem for quite a while now - through several version upgrades (I always upgrade pretty much immediately). That said it was a trickle of people a month or two ago, now it's at least 1-2 people a day complaining - so the situation is getting worse. It's been difficult to get real responses back from people when I tell them it's probably some sort of browser problem and tell them to be especially careful entering the year (not sure if that means they did manage to register or they didn't). But I did get the following response that might be helpful…

I was using Google Chrome on my Samsung phone and kept getting the Age issue denial.  Then I tried Samsungs Internet app and it did not have the issue and worked so am now a member.  

BTW, I'm using IPSFocus' Villain theme, if that has any bearing on things. (They pointed me here.)

Edited by jay5r

5 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

If you are getting a few of these a day mentioning it to you, could you please check what browsers each are using, what device, and also if they are using any special keyboards or plugins on their mobile/browser?

As I mentioned, I keep asking, but almost no one gets back to me with their details. Not sure what more I can do.

One thought… The input element looks like this…

<input type="date" class="ipsField_short ipsField_primary" required="" placeholder="Birthday" name="bday" id="">

Older browsers may not know how to handle date inputs properly. And your placeholder value is "Birthday" rather than a proper date format. Perhaps the solution is to change the placeholder value to specify the correct format (e.g. YYYY-MM-DD, or whatever) so that users with older devices get it entered correctly.

10 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

One thing I would say on the samsung one, is that its quite an old device. It may well be that which is causing issues

It may be old, but it's still a supported device and is capable of going to Android 13 too.

@jay5r - send me your site address and I'll do some testing here. I've got a whole bunch of different Samsung devices available to me.

1 hour ago, jay5r said:

Older browsers may not know how to handle date inputs properly. And your placeholder value is "Birthday" rather than a proper date format. Perhaps the solution is to change the placeholder value to specify the correct format (e.g. YYYY-MM-DD, or whatever) so that users with older devices get it entered correctly.

"Placeholder" is just a text attribute. It doesn't tell the browser how to handle the data. That is the job of the "type" attribute. Which, if the browser is HTML5 compliant, it should handle "date."

58 minutes ago, Jim M said:

"Placeholder" is just a text attribute. It doesn't tell the browser how to handle the data. That is the job of the "type" attribute. Which, if the browser is HTML5 compliant, it should handle "date."

Date inputs revert to text inputs in older browsers. In those cases telling the user the proper format is essential since the browser isn't formatting it for the user.

Can you tell me the format you're expecting on form submission? (YYYY-MM-DD is the most dependable in my experience, but I don't want to make the assumptions that it will work in this case.) I can test this pretty simply by writing a Javascript that changes the placeholder value, but I need to know a format that will work.

5 minutes ago, jay5r said:

Date inputs revert to text inputs in older browsers. In those cases telling the user the proper format is essential since the browser isn't formatting it for the user.

Can you tell me the format you're expecting on form submission? (YYYY-MM-DD is the most dependable in my experience, but I don't want to make the assumptions that it will work in this case.) I can test this pretty simply by writing a Javascript that changes the placeholder value, but I need to know a format that will work.

That then would be an unsupported browser. HTML5 date formats revert to YYYY-MM-DD as seen here: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Date_and_time_formats

I just had a user report the same problem with Safari on an iPhone 14, so this may not be a problem with older browsers.

I've asked for a screenshot and what country he's in since it doesn't seem English is his first language (hence the local date formats may differ from those in the US - even though what the browser is supposed to submit should be standardized).

1 minute ago, jay5r said:

I just had a user report the same problem with Safari on an iPhone 14, so this may not be a problem with older browsers.

I've asked for a screenshot and what country he's in since it doesn't seem English is his first language (hence the local date formats may differ from those in the US - even though what the browser is supposed to submit should be standardized).

Would also ask about keyboards, plugins, and anything else.