upgraded today, can not post , can not enter the admin section.

1 minute ago, Stan Jensen said:

I do not know how to put it into recovery mode.    

where and how do I put this?

As mentioned in the Guide, you would add this to your constants.php file on your file system. If you do not have one, you would create one.

1 hour ago, Stan Jensen said:

I may be to stupid to know how to add constants.php file on your file system.

I may as well shut the forum down.

Have you considered our Cloud? You would not need to have to worry about managing files yourself 🙂 .

As Terabyte mentioned, you’d want to create a file name constants.php (if you don’t have one) via your hosting panel or FTP/etc… 

my traffic is no longer big enough to generate enough in come to host here, 

this is what my host said 

- - -copy and paste ---

Hello,

Thank you for your update.

Please note I was not able to find the file 
constants.php so if you prtovide us with the location of the file constants.php we will add

<?php define('RECOVERY_MODE',True);

Considering this, we believe that it would be best to contact an expert developer with a better understanding of this concern.

Please, do not hesitate to contact us again if we could be of any further assistance!

Best Regards,

IS there a service I can hire to fix this?  I never expected this kind of problem from an upgrade.

As long as you provide the correct details in your client area (FTP + ACP account) someone from IPS will be able to take a look at your site and check what exactly is going on.

Today is a Sunday though, so they might not get to it until tomorrow at least. If you can't/don't want to wait you can hire a developer from the Providers list: https://invisioncommunity.com/third-party/providers/

I'm also on that list if you want, just send me a PM.

Edited by teraßyte

11 minutes ago, Stan Jensen said:

Please note I was not able to find the file 
constants.php so if you prtovide us with the location of the file constants.php we will add

You can create the aforementioned file very easily yourself, as posted in the previous posts. After you create it add the recovery code.

On 12/4/2022 at 4:11 PM, teraßyte said:

As long as you provide the correct details in your client area (FTP + ACP account) someone from IPS will be able to take a look at your site and check what exactly is going on.

Today is a Sunday though, so they might not get to it until tomorrow at least. If you can't/don't want to wait you can hire a developer from the Providers list: https://invisioncommunity.com/third-party/providers/

I'm also on that list if you want, just send me a PM.

ok  how do I start this process?  I think they had everything on file.

Thanks

Stan

10 minutes ago, Stan Jensen said:

ok  how do I start this process?  I think they had everything on file.

Thanks

Stan

I'm afraid, we would not provide the service Terabyte is stating there. Both Marc and myself are Invision technicians here and we are instructing you how to get the process done. However, part of being self-hosted is that you would self-manage these troubleshooting scenarios, we would not create files on your hosting for you.

If you have any questions on how to create a PHP file on your hosting, you would need to as your hosting provider. If there are any questions about what we are instructing you to do here, we would need to know.

This would be created in your installation folder.

Take a notepad or editor and copy and paste into it:

<?php
define('RECOVERY_MODE',True);

save as constants.txt and rename the txt file to constants.php

Upload constants.php with a ftp program into your server space where you uploaded on installation the invision index.php

I'm glad this has now been resolved for you, @Stan Jensen!

There are always risks when upgrading, especially if you have a modified Invision Community (even slightly, unfortunately). This shouldn't deter you from upgrading altogether though as there are sometimes very important security vulnerabilities and annoying or limiting bugs that are fixed. In saying that, we don't force anyone to upgrade but if an issue comes up that is fixed in a newer or most recent version, that will be our go to solution.

It's also really hard to advise whether an upgrade will cause an error without actually attempting it first. As always though, there is a resolve and we're here to help should you encounter those errors. 🙂

Our pleasure!

That may be the issue. There have been situations where a theme doesn't agree with an upgrade, but the majority of issues occur when clients are running numerous outdated plugins. Whilst we do our best to ensure the upgrading process is fluid with our core products, we literally cannot cater to every single plugin and theme out there.

At the end of the day your community is up and running again and that's all that really matters. Please don't hesitate to let us know if you encounter any other issues in the future.