Updating a neglected IPB forum

Go to solution Solved by olyclimber,

29 minutes ago, Jim M said:

As mentioned, I don't think there is any advantage to doing this. The straight path is the best path 🙂 .

If there are a lot of modifications installed it might be worth upgrading to 4.7.3 with PHP 7.4 in order to have the tool flag any incompatible modifications with PHP 8.

Other than that, yeah, it's probably not worth the time.

16 minutes ago, teraßyte said:

If there are a lot of modifications installed it might be worth upgrading to 4.7.3 with PHP 7.4 in order to have the tool flag any incompatible modifications with PHP 8.

Other than that, yeah, it's probably not worth the time.

I would just disable everything and have a clean upgrade.  Enable them one by one post upgrade.

59 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

I would just disable everything and have a clean upgrade.  Enable them one by one post upgrade.

yep that was my plan.  however I do need to figure out the order by which I do the conversion from Advanced Tags to Radical Tags.  Right now I'm thinking (if Radical has a version that works with 4.2) to convert now and then disable it and upgrade to 4.7.  thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Do you guys see any problems with me doing the following:

1. Making a clone of of my prod server.

2. I'll change the line in conf_global.php file to be the IP of the clone rather than the prod DNS name.

3. Doing all my test upgrade stuff there before running them on the prod server.

I guess the question is, will the server with the existing license? Looks like in the docs you're supposed to append "-TESTINSTALL".  Can I do that manually?

14 minutes ago, olyclimber said:

Do you guys see any problems with me doing the following:

1. Making a clone of of my prod server.

2. I'll change the line in conf_global.php file to be the IP of the clone rather than the prod DNS name.

3. Doing all my test upgrade stuff there before running them on the prod server.

Be sure to change the database too, not just the URL 😉 .

14 minutes ago, olyclimber said:

I guess the question is, will the server with the existing license? Looks like in the docs you're supposed to append "-TESTINSTALL".  Can I do that manually?

You can do that in the ACP -> System -> License Key.

But overall, that should work to setup a test URL.

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function IPS\get_magic_quotes_gpc() in /srv/users/serverpilot/apps/wpcascadeclimbers/public/forum/system/Request/Request.php:117 Stack trace: #0 [internal function]: IPS\_Request->clean('36ec51714dd65fc...', 'ips4_device_key') #1 /srv/users/serverpilot/apps/wpcascadeclimbers/public/forum/system/Request/Request.php(54): array_walk_recursive(Array, Array) #2 /srv/users/serverpilot/apps/wpcascadeclimbers/public/forum/system/Patterns/Singleton.php(41): IPS\_Request->__construct() #3 /srv/users/serverpilot/apps/wpcascadeclimbers/public/forum/system/Log/Log.php(106): IPS\Patterns\_Singleton::i() #4 /srv/users/serverpilot/apps/wpcascadeclimbers/public/forum/init.php(525): IPS\_Log::log('Error: Call to ...', 'uncaught_except...') #5 [internal function]: IPS\IPS::exceptionHandler(Object(Error)) #6 {main} thrown in /srv/users/serverpilot/apps/wpcascadeclimbers/public/forum/system/Request/Request.php on line 117

just copied the files up to do the upgrade and when I got to the /admin/upgrade/   I'm getting this error message?  Any idea of how to resolve, or should I roll back to a backup and start over?   I disabled all apps/plugins before doing the upgrade.

Please download and use the compatibility checker:

When visited with a browser, it will tell you if there are missing extensions/dependencies. You or your host would need to address any requirements. Once it shows as being ready, then you should be able to perform the upgrade.

Yes, that could explain it.

When using Filezilla, and if the related view option is chosen (it displays at the bottom of the transfer window), it will show you all files that failed to transfer. That failure is usually due to the permissions. Make sure that the account you use for Filezilla has full permissions to both folders and files.