Upgrade failure: session_start(): Failed to read session data

Go to solution Solved by Clover13,

I have PHP 8.1 selected and the IPS ACP shows 8.1 running and ips4.php shows 8.1, however the upgrade failed due to 

We were unable to start a PHP session. You will need to contact your host to adjust your PHP configuration before you can continue. The error reported was: session_start(): Failed to read session data: files (path: /var/cpanel/php/sessions/ea-php72)

Not sure why I'm getting an error referencing the local value instead of the master value.

Directive Local Value Master Value
session.save_path /var/cpanel/php/sessions/ea-php72 /tmp

Why is the upgrade referencing 7.2?

1 minute ago, Jim M said:

You would want to contact your hosting provider for assistance. Unfortunately, this is not something our software is doing but rather your server's PHP configuration.

I have, they are reviewing it but they also don't understand how the IPS upgrade process is referencing something other than what is specified when the 8.1 php version is selected

2 minutes ago, Clover13 said:

I have, they are reviewing it but they also don't understand how the IPS upgrade process is referencing something other than what is specified when the 8.1 php version is selected

Unfortunately, your phpinfo screenshot there is clearly showing it as well which is your local configuration so that would indicate something on your server is altering it.

1 minute ago, Jim M said:

Unfortunately, your phpinfo screenshot there is clearly showing it as well which is your local configuration so that would indicate something on your server is altering it.

Right but the question is why would the ips upgrade reference the local when there is a master override for the selected version (8.1)?  Is that normal for local to be referenced or is there different scoping whereas local needs to be 8.1 and operates differently than master as 8.1?  I had though the master was the primary and superseded the local when it is specified.

Just now, Clover13 said:

Right but the question is why would the ips upgrade reference the local when there is a master override for the selected version (8.1)?  Is that normal for local to be referenced or is there different scoping whereas local needs to be 8.1 and operates differently than master as 8.1?  I had though the master was the primary and superseded the local when it is specified.

Local changes would override master changes in PHP where configured to do so. Any questions you have on that would need to be directed to your hosting provider. Our software does not have control over this.

Remember… the phpinfo output is not from IPB. It’s from PHP itself. Meaning it’s a server configuration issue. This is one of the challenges associated with supporting multiple concurrent versions of PHP. Some hosting providers have figured it out and do it well while others don’t necessarily do so. 

Unfortunately, it’s not in IPS’ power to be able to fix the server setup.  

24 minutes ago, Clover13 said:

OK thanks guys I'll follow up with the host

The other odd part is the ips4.php shows full compatibility, would this not be flagged/caught as part of that compatibility check or as part of an upgrade compatibility check?  Or is there no way to do that?

The compatibility checker is simply checking to see if required PHP modules exist along with certain known settings (such as minimum memory) are met.  It does not test to make sure those modules are working as they're expected.  Just that they exist.  It's assumed if they exist, your host set them up correctly.

1 hour ago, Jim M said:

You would want to contact your hosting provider for assistance. Unfortunately, this is not something our software is doing but rather your server's PHP configuration.

@Jim MIs there a way to revert to the previous version of Invision until I sort of this PHP8 issue? We need to make some upgrade to my website as PHP8 is affecting some functionality so I had to revert to PHP7.4. But now Invision Forum throwing errors. 

4 minutes ago, Warren McPherson said:

@Jim MIs there a way to revert to the previous version of Invision until I sort of this PHP8 issue? We need to make some upgrade to my website as PHP8 is affecting some functionality so I had to revert to PHP7.4. But now Invision Forum throwing errors. 

There is not a way to install an older version.  In order to roll back, you would need to work with your hosting provider to install a backup taken prior to the upgrade if one was available.  

8 minutes ago, Warren McPherson said:

As Randy mentioned, the only way to "go back" would be to restore a full backup (files and database) that you made prior to your upgrade attempt. However, if you're having the same issue as OP, your hosting provider should be able resolve it quickly.

14 hours ago, Clover13 said:

FWIW, got it sorted it out forcing a manual update of the local parameter initially.  Something with CloudLinux not behaving/updating properly, host had to toggle from PHP Selector mode to MultiPHP Manager mode and things synced up properly when he went back to PHP Selector mode.

Glad to hear you got the issue sorted out with your hosting company there 🙂