site stuck when running upgrade

getting the following error when running upgrade script - am now unable to restart /cancel upgrade so site is down. php version is 8.0

We were unable to start a PHP session. You will need to contact your host to adjust your PHP configuration before you can continue. The error reported was: session_start(): Failed to read session data: files (path: /var/cpanel/php/sessions/ea-php71)

surely teh update script should be capable of determining which php version is installed and storing anything in teh correct location. given the number of people on php8 this smells like it wasn't properly tested

in the meantime the site is unusable as its now stuck in the upgrade loop. is there any way to force the site to abandon the upgrade?

7 minutes ago, RyPingu said:

surely teh update script should be capable of determining which php version is installed and storing anything in teh correct location. given the number of people on php8 this smells like it wasn't properly tested

in the meantime the site is unusable as its now stuck in the upgrade loop. is there any way to force the site to abandon the upgrade?

This is an issue with the server configuration, unfortunately PHP code cannot do anything about that. There isn't a way to cancel an upgrade once it has started, but as noted your web host should be able to fix this for you.

thanks for teh non help. just saying your host should be able to fix this without saying what needs to be fixed or changed is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. 

looking through other threads for people that have experienced the same issue we managed to work it out. but given that you have had several users with the same issue I would suggest that the testing for this wasn't quite through enough and the inability to cancel the update once it had been started is less than ideal too. 

12 minutes ago, RyPingu said:

thanks for teh non help. just saying your host should be able to fix this without saying what needs to be fixed or changed is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. 

3 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

correct the issue with PHP session data being stored.

Sorry to hear that you are not happy with our support. I quoted the above which I believe you may have missed from my colleague which points to the issue here. Expanding more on that - your PHP configuration is referencing a path on your server which is no longer valid for session data storage and needs to be corrected for PHP 8. It is not possible for our software to change this, I'm afraid.

This is the path from the error you posted: /var/cpanel/php/sessions/ea-php71

Additionally, passing your hosting provider the error our software outlined would provide them enough information to investigate the issue going on.

Keep in mind that server configurations/management are outside our scope of support. While we will try our best to point you in the right direction, we only provide support for our software so detailed information about why and how to correct something misconfigured on your server would need to be answered by your hosting provider.

The only way to undo an upgrade would be to restore a full backup taken prior (files and database). I am sorry that you do not like this answer but it is the only way to remove the updated files which are expecting information present.

If managing all this yourself is something you're not comfortable with, our Cloud platforms are available where we have your community on our infrastructure and take care of all of this for you. You will only have to worry about your community. You can read the following page for more details on that: https://invisioncommunity.com/buy

• 9 months later...

Hi guys,

I am experiencing the same issue.  Stalled out on me.  

I get the issue regarding the path not being able to begin a .php session - I nmigrated servers and am no longer using cPanel, but rather Interworx.  Will the IP software work on a non-cPanel server?

I'm stalled out and would appreciate any guidance you can provide.

24 minutes ago, borangeatx said:

Hi guys,

I am experiencing the same issue.  Stalled out on me.  

I get the issue regarding the path not being able to begin a .php session - I nmigrated servers and am no longer using cPanel, but rather Interworx.  Will the IP software work on a non-cPanel server?

I'm stalled out and would appreciate any guidance you can provide.

Our software will work on any servers which meet the minimum requirements. The path provided in this topic is merely an example path because that's what the client provided. You will have your own path which needs to be corrected in your PHP settings.

6 minutes ago, borangeatx said:

Thanks Jim.  So to clarify - my host needs to change this path within the server?  And none of the IP files need to be changed to reference an appropriate path?

Appreicate it!

It needs to be changed at the php.ini. Ipb files don't need any changes. 

• 2 months later...

This bit me this morning, caused a bit of a panic. What you need to do, or at least what I needed to do, was to look for out-of-date settings for session.save_path somewhere, probably in .htaccess, user.ini (in the, y'know, main folder) or php.ini (in the weird folder one up from that). As far as I can figure out, that can reference a folder that doesn't exist or doesn't have the right permissions. 

Editing those, or if you have access to something like Cpanel's Multiphp INI Editor, might fix it, and it seems like using "/tmp" might work if you don't know what the setting SHOULD be. 

55 minutes ago, rgf100 said:

This bit me this morning, caused a bit of a panic. What you need to do, or at least what I needed to do, was to look for out-of-date settings for session.save_path somewhere, probably in .htaccess, user.ini (in the, y'know, main folder) or php.ini (in the weird folder one up from that). As far as I can figure out, that can reference a folder that doesn't exist or doesn't have the right permissions. 

Editing those, or if you have access to something like Cpanel's Multiphp INI Editor, might fix it, and it seems like using "/tmp" might work if you don't know what the setting SHOULD be. 

Thank you for sharing