Links in emails not working

Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

For a couple of weeks now the links included in emails are just dropping members to the forum homepage, eg topic/message notifications, even the 'forgot my password' link which is a real pain! 

Any ideas where I need to start checking? I use Sendgrid and that's all ok from what I can tell?

2 minutes ago, abetts said:

Still not working with it turned off (I've turned off 'click tracking' which I assume is what they call it!). 

This would only work moving forward with new emails sent out. Older emails will still have their click tracking on it so you can't change that.

Sendgrid have been looking into this and have sent this - It appears there's a redirect in the uncoded url the forum is sending out... Is this correct and how it should work? Looks like the link I sent was for a new report notification.

I'm so sorry to hear that you are having problems of this type. I took the links provided by you and decoded them and I saw that for both of them, there is a redirect url.

For example, for this link:

http://url9376.thelotusforums.com/ls/click?upn=BBzVdn2vzgbvzfhZx9vzPzJeXaL-2FWcITQ3e7zMYRy8vRi-2Bk6IZkQVzgwXqC6kJbLYSryj6-2BUivoiznYu06X6eF-2BgVVCn-2Fnx-2BQ2EdUWSQvMSazbgzKGmB4N9mv58qbWlWNVLJiZaS0kbjY3TV-2F2kmULCbv9lpPQJY18-2BLuwHG5qsl3uqtO6VpTfvANq9RHK-2Fe-2FgBfnDKaRP0ZIWh4PRkGOiqtU7GOpkSC4mSrgRCANldKbvc1Fzcond46-2BEOHDgOeI9rNc05TLGl882qpzUm-2BRIvqXw5ceNnKX7wJwgoQ9aF0wkAl1PFYO3U7cWPA8cyx9b9DaHmRFIbRJcULrNRL0Gu76fTrg8JJSVcGpxsEkfs-3DdrhC_nwmWHbQklCPBoSpUsdblirzT5dMS50f48-2FhV4DH6NoJ7T-2FYvUsE097UkL6aDk1MX8uKAQEhYIlp6flbqn0-2B6zCHUbHJViqxi6b2XZZQF0X-2F4Nn0BGTxTRzzAwXCVaVVtG6CY30Kmm6hjm5LzO-2Fi8D0K-2FqeHGPdjpIweiVCfx2t4FOjBy3D3bR5XbqV3cCSZtoO35pHtKdMMIatK02-2BE-2BHyMu57YQMe21WBmKfLAHkDU-3D

The decoded link is: 

https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=system&controller=redirect&url=https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/modcp/reports/1045/&key=8fc1730eefe92416c37b61ed68c4be34caef5ffb520d1440ca1ed79fd3e74203&email=1&type=notification_report_center

From the above link I am able to see that there is a redirect url which is redirecting again your link. 
Could you please confirm that this is the right link with that redirect?

They want to know if this link is correct as well, sorry!! 

Thank you for the follow-up!

For the second link: http://url9376.thelotusforums.com/ls/click?upn=BBzVdn2vzgbvzfhZx9vzPzJeXaL-2FWcITQ3e7zMYRy8vRi-2Bk6IZkQVzgwXqC6kJbLYSryj6-2BUivoiznYu06X6eF-2BgVVCn-2Fnx-2BQ2EdUWSQvMSazbgzKGmB4N9mv58qbWlWNVLJiZaS0kbjY3TV-2F2kmULCbv9lpPQJY18-2BLuwHG5qsdDCge9w6zGSc9gGqCX3938mEh89ShpOkMFTf7F63nceZYSHI4bdgnSvKr3F-2BOp3Q-2BM9JqKAo2sDkkYh1k6ULiAqDekFzBYs1hb1JpC5bGG89zadxFkTrbPT0V3kBWTafbVwabFsO7iiwYXdHnQpX9TuLgcum-2B3XkbWYnJIH-2FwRE1OOH3mqown9hdKmAuGL6rLfs6rcD8jidacpmvPWj-2FU0OjJ95Y25n5ALQzzEdyxA7acniUO7zpadq76JeK81BU-3DpCY__nwmWHbQklCPBoSpUsdblirzT5dMS50f48-2FhV4DH6NoIU4Sjst5Se-2FjgOuwablw0gMJUVBHSkUAnkSA8IMR8bDouJO3y9HAExH8uV9oIecz4W-2BFmlVxGULipNqpdZIaMJe3f-2FAYuNYxJPlpa-2F2srxEZelRtlCxDVpZBlQ0M1FDEOCphqhVnZR1A1iiSUmDqxIK-2BQiAffGqF019uUIyMDThSuHfxeN84gsDt-2FFA8cI00s-3D

When we decoded it here is the link:

https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=system&controller=redirect&url=https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/messenger/75493/?do=findComment%26comment=184602&key=8bad71d34e1a6094be7db4d55273f8b2f30de212d082e99b59fc6a41818ccaf9&email=1&type=notification_new_private_message

Could you please confirm if those links that we decoded go where they should?

Also, could you please do a test and disable click tracking to see how the links are sent and if there are any problems?

Thank you for your patience. I am looking forward to your response.

When I click on the link directly it take me to the forum homepage and not the PM...

5 minutes ago, abetts said:

If the redirect is correct, how come when I click it I'm not being taken to the PM if refers to, but the forum homepage?

Because it was not encoded by Sendgrid properly.   This is a garbage in/garbage out scenario.  

The redirect SHOULD exist.  The problem is because it was encoded incorrectly it does not take you to the right spot when unencoded.  

Try turning off Sendgrid and sending via SMTP or PHP...  I'll bet you then find those links work correctly.  I had this problem with Sendgrid myself as well with certain links.  It's one of the reasons I switched to AWS SES for sending email instead of Sendgrid.  

Edited by Randy Calvert

It requires a third party plugin:

There is also some setup work on the AWS side to setup things like the feedback loop to automatically handle bounces, etc.  But @Jon Erickson is very helpful and responsive if you run into problems.  I also found SES to be much more reliable for delivery of mail (around 20% of mail was marked as spam by major ISPs such as Yahoo and Comcast with their non-dedicated IPs).  

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
Options -MultiViews
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /forums/
Redirect 301 /forums/new-content/ http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/discover/unread/
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /forums/index.php [L]
</IfModule>
<IfModule mod_security.c>
SecFilterEngine Off
SecFilterScanPOST Off
</IfModule>
## Begin - Expires caching
<IfModule mod_expires.c>

## This rule will create an ETag for files based only on the modification timestamp and their size. 
## Note: It may cause problems on your server and you may need to remove it
FileETag MTime Size

SetOutputFilter DEFLATE
Header set Expires "max-age=29030400, public"
Header unset ETag
FileETag None

# Enable expiration control
ExpiresActive On

# Default expiration: 1 hour after request
ExpiresDefault "now plus 1 hour"

# CSS and JS expiration: 1 week after request
ExpiresByType text/css "now plus 1 week"