iCalendar Feed Import Not Adding Recurring Events

Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

Hello,

I am working on a new site and since Invision does not support events recurring by X day of the month.  I figured that I would simply do an iCal import for those events.  However, the feed is not bringing in the recurring events at all.  It works perfectly fine for stand alone events, but recurring events are not added to the calendar.

I have the same issue. Came here to report the same problem. 

• I created a Google Calendar. Made it public. Grabbed the iCalendar URL
  • Verified permissions on the calendar and events (all set to 'Public')
  • Provided the iCalendar URL into IPS. 
  • Verified permissions for all users (including Guests) to be able to see all calendar events
  • Only "some" of my events show up in the IPS calendar.
  • At least one event (an annually occurring one) shows up. But many others do not. 
  • The iCalendar Valdiator shows "warnings" but no errors on the feed. 

iCalendar feed link here

IPS Calendar here

Other Notes 

1. When I download the iCalendar file directly from Google and open it in a text editor, it contains all events. (1,200+ lines of text)
  2. When I download the iCalendar file from my IPS site, it only has 100 lines. 
Edited by jwdenzel

12 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Are there any dates which are in the future (or have a repeating occurrence in the future) from when you imported it that did not import?

Yes, most of them. The calendar I linked to above is designed to be a historical, "on this day in history" type calendar for our community. If you look at the source feed, it's full of many events that repeat annually.  The vast majority of them are not importing. Only a couple of them are there. Follow the links and you'll be able to see for yourself.

Thanks for the reply!

1 minute ago, jwdenzel said:

Yes, most of them. The calendar I linked to above is designed to be a historical, "on this day in history" type calendar for our community. If you look at the source feed, it's full of many events that repeat annually.  The vast majority of them are not importing. Only a couple of them are there. Follow the links and you'll be able to see for yourself.

Thanks for the reply!

While I appreciate what you're saying here, could you please provide an exact event which did not import? It's going to take time to crawl through that file and I'd rather look here apples to apples then guess/check, guess/check.

Oh yeah, sure.  So...

Here's the iCalendar entry for that event. 

BEGIN:VEVENT
DTSTART;VALUE=DATE:20191017
DTEND;VALUE=DATE:20191018
RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY
DTSTAMP:20221004T193950Z
UID:631c6vumo7j54veecea1vdaf9h@google.com
CREATED:20190426T213910Z
DESCRIPTION:Born 1948
LAST-MODIFIED:20191016T161651Z
SUMMARY:Robert Jordan's birthday
TRANSP:TRANSPARENT
X-APPLE-TRAVEL-ADVISORY-BEHAVIOR:AUTOMATIC
BEGIN:VALARM
ACTION:AUDIO
TRIGGER:-PT15H
X-WR-ALARMUID:B6410EE7-1D91-443F-9B6F-47BF9E52DBFB
UID:B6410EE7-1D91-443F-9B6F-47BF9E52DBFB
ATTACH;VALUE=URI:Basso
X-APPLE-DEFAULT-ALARM:TRUE
ACKNOWLEDGED:20191016T161651Z
END:VALARM
END:VEVENT

This is only one example. Like I said above, if you compare the iCalendar file from Google and the one from IPS, there's about 1,100 line of text difference. 

Thanks!

Unfortunately, testing this myself, in my own instance, this and a lot of events came over. You may wish to check if there are any timeout errors on your server or other issues.

Additionally, we did make some changes in regards to things for changing the Calendar application over to Events in 4.7.3 so that may also have helped me import this. If you continue to see this issue on 4.7.3, I would advise checking your server for timeouts, errors, etc... If you see anything software related, please let us know.

If it helps, here is a very simple Calendar via Google:

https://calendar.google.com/calendar/u/0/embed?src=2b0a55f600e6555f0d8a75b0bfb89d7203c634552a9cc6a58aca3763dc6a926a@group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/New_York

Here is the iCal:

https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/2b0a55f600e6555f0d8a75b0bfb89d7203c634552a9cc6a58aca3763dc6a926a%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics

The Slocum EMS Meeting is a single event on Sunday the 16th and imports without issue.  The Slocum Fire Meeting is the first Wednesday as a recurring event and does not import at all.

This is the same result I get with Zoho Calendar.  Also running 4.7.2.1

Edit: I did look at the validation tool and both Zoho and Google fail, I'm not entirely sure how to address that as I don't believe I can control any of the input fields.

Edited by UncrownedGuard

8 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Ah, I see the issue there from your description. The latter one does not import because the option of "first weds every month" is simply not a recurring option within our calendar application

Is there any chance this is fixed in the new events update?  Also, is the new events app just an updated calendar app or a whole new app?

• Solution
21 minutes ago, UncrownedGuard said:

Is there any chance this is fixed in the new events update?  Also, is the new events app just an updated calendar app or a whole new app?

I'm afraid, this would be a new feature, not a fix as the system is currently designed not to do this. You can certainly suggest it by going to our official Feature Suggestion forum.