When updating, what happens to incompatible themes?

Go to solution Solved by Marc Stridgen,

I want to update however it says some of my themes are incompatible. I understand that I'll have to incorporate my changes in the new theme.

What I'm trying to understand is:

1. After I update, what will happen to my incompatible themes, will I continue to be able to access their code?
  2. After I update, which theme will automatically be applied by default? A new default theme, or the current incompatible theme?

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Jamynee said:

I want to update however it says some of my themes are incompatible.

You should always upgrade in the following order: IPS software > custom theme (and other third-party stuff). You will get the incompatible message during the first step.

3 minutes ago, Jamynee said:
  • After I update, what will happen to my incompatible themes, will I continue to be able to access their code?
  • After I update, which theme will automatically be applied by default? A new default theme, or the current incompatible theme?

1. Themes will stay "accessible" to be updated or removed. For minor upgrades it will be sufficient to use "Upload new version" feature. But in case of large upgrades such as 4.4 to 4.7, you should do a fresh installation of your custom theme.

2. That would be the theme currently set as "default". For safety reasons, I always swap a default theme from my custom theme to the Default theme before upgrading. Then after upgrading I upload a new version of my theme and set it back to "default".

The above is correct, however I would say it terms of number 1 there, it atcually depends even on a large upgrade. If you havent change much for example, it may be a case of just reverting a template and re-adding your changes. If its a custom theme written by someone else, you really should refer to that person for advice before you upgrade

Ok so I did not revert any templates, I performed the upgrade, everything went well and the themes that were supposedly incompatible are still working exactly the same as before. The ad code is still there, all the custom modifications I had made to the HTML are still there. 

So I'm unclear as to whether the template files were updated successfully or not, or if there's anything left for me to do? 

2 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Any template that is manually edited by yourself will not have been amended in any way by the upgrade procedure. Therefore the templates mentioned, you should check. Take a look at this, which gives you a better idea of how to check these by comparison

Got it, thank you. I have some reading to do.