Prompt or Suggestion for Push Notifications?

Hey All,

I was wondering if there was supposed to be a prompt or suggestion for Push Notifications?

I don't see any settings that would suggest such a thing. Furthermore, I only just realized I didn't have Push Notifications enabled for this community, only because I was looking around my settings casually and found it.

Edited by The Dark Wizard

You wont get a prompt to see if you want push. Those are something set up in your account notifications. You will however need to ensure you have add the app, which will show differently depending on the device. For example on android if you click the menu icon on your device when visiting the page, you will see "Install Application". On Chrome it shows in the address bar that you can install the application (and it prompts)

On 7/27/2022 at 1:31 AM, Marc Stridgen said:

You wont get a prompt to see if you want push. Those are something set up in your account notifications. You will however need to ensure you have add the app, which will show differently depending on the device. For example on android if you click the menu icon on your device when visiting the page, you will see "Install Application". On Chrome it shows in the address bar that you can install the application (and it prompts)

You will however need to ensure you have add the app? Wait, is there an app, or an application? I just logged into invision community on my mobile device and clicked on the notification icon, then clicked on notification settings, and finally, after scrolling all the way down, I find a note that I should click to enable for this browser.

'Enable' is very different than installing an application or an app.  I'm so confused. I'm unfamiliar with Ambassador Spock.

Okay, I don't see that icon in the browser bar but I did find it by clicking on the three horizontal buttons and then selecting apps in the drop down, and then selecting 'manage apps.'  Now I have a new tab that has 'Apps' on the left but what do I type in the search field? 

Then I had an idea - maybe I need to login to Invisioncommunity.com. I did that and then reclicked on the Apps selection and the Invision Community app appeared below the search bar.  I clicked on the manage apps thinking that is what I should do. Suddenly there is no Invision Community and if I type it in the search apps field, nothing shows.  

So then I close that Apps tab, and repeat the steps again with the three horizontal buttons and Apps, and this time, when the Invision Community appears below the manage apps, I click on it and I am led through the installation process.

Okay, so now it is installed.  There was also a new window with the Invision Community website that popped up.  I just assumed it was a wrong key stroke so I closed it.  Then I went back the Apps setting, and saw the installed application and clicked on 'Open.' Again, a new window opened with the Invision Community website.  

So I'm still confused.  Is this new window just another browser tab in Edge or is this somehow a special application that has other features? 

Next question: is there a pwa application for my android phone?

The new window you're seeing on a desktop machine would indeed be the PWA. It will open in a new window as it runs separately from the browser. If you have separate configurations of your browser (or aren't using Edge as Marc outlined), it may be in different spots. What Marc showed, is the default configuration of Edge.

6 minutes ago, TracyIsland said:

ext question: is there a pwa application for my android phone?

Yes. The following is for Chrome as that is the default browser on Android:

On 7/27/2022 at 4:31 AM, Marc Stridgen said:

For example on android if you click the menu icon on your device when visiting the page, you will see "Install Application".

Once you install the application, you will see it as an app on your device.

Okay, I now have the app installed on my phone by going to chrome and going to invision community.  I found two routes to installing the application: one was a pop up note at the bottom of the screen and also clicking on the three button vertical menu icon at the top.  

So I found the application displayed on my phone.  So this application is universal to any browser or does it default to Chrome? Can I change it to default to Edge?

7 minutes ago, TracyIsland said:

So this application is universal to any browser or does it default to Chrome? Can I change it to default to Edge?

On mobile device, only Chrome would work for Android and Safari for iOS. For desktop, it would be what you installed it with.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Marc. I seem to be struggling to get android to popup. I dont get any links to install an app and I cant find one in my site menu. If I go to account settings notification, push is enabled, the web browser is enabled but I only get notifications when I actually open chrome. I have added a shortcut to the home page, what am I missing?
The parts are filled in under icons and logos etc in the ACP

Desktop notifications work ok

5 minutes ago, optrexnz said:

Thanks Marc. I seem to be struggling to get android to popup. I dont get any links to install an app and I cant find one in my site menu. If I go to account settings notification, push is enabled, the web browser is enabled but I only get notifications when I actually open chrome. I have added a shortcut to the home page, what am I missing?
The parts are filled in under icons and logos etc in the ACP

Desktop notifications work ok

Are you stating that you are not receiving push notifications or the prompt to install? Please note that you will not receive the prompt to install the PWA if it is already installed. Which from your quote above, sounds like it is already installed.

1 minute ago, optrexnz said:

I’m not getting the prompt to install on android I’ve had to go in and do it myself in the account settings 

This prompt actually comes from Chrome, not our software, so please ensure you're using Chrome and do not have it installed. Then Android OS with Chrome browser should prompt you when it detects the manifest.

We would need to look further into this for you, however the access details on file appear to be incorrect or missing. Could you please update these details by visiting your client area, selecting the relevant purchase, then clicking "Review/Update Access Information" under the "Stored Access Information" section. 

We look forward to further assisting you.