Upgrade 4.6.10 got stuck

Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

Upgrade froze when extracting files.  Notified Sucuri and they whitelisted my IP. When I clicked on "complete upgrade" I got a list of errors which I have never seen before when completing previous upgrades.  I haven't done anything with these files to cause them to all of a sudden be unacceptable.  The message says I can't proceed with the upgrade until the errors are corrected.  Meanwhile the site is down.   Our previous "go to" person's mail box is no longer receive messages. Can someone help? 

8 hours ago, Runar said:

Yes, but you’ll have to post the error messages. 😉

These are the error messages in question.  Please understand that these files have been present on our site for the last two years and have been present for every upgrade.  I did not upload them. I don't know how to upload manually. I do not know how to set permissions. I am not a developer or tech person--just the site owner who assumed responsibility for the site January 1, 2020.  Mark Round was familiar with our site and assisted on occasion during 2021. 

image.png.e615158a06f6004b014edac3f72ef067.png

You would need to check with your hosting company how to upload files. As a self hosted customer, it really is something you need to know as a basic in order to successfully operate your site. In this case, you need to download a fresh set of files from your client area, then upload them via ftp to your server. The issue isnt that the files dont exist, its that the files will be out of date

• Solution
13 minutes ago, beardsleydee@gmail.com said:

I see many people are having problems with this latest upgrade.  Permissions are set correctly.

As another client said, the problem is with the extraction.   Is there any way to return to the previous verion?  Thank you.

You would need to restore a file backup which you took prior to starting the upgrade process. That is the only way to return to the previous release, I'm afraid.

If you do not have this, the only way forward would be to work with your hosting provider to upload the set of files from the Client Area.

5 hours ago, Jim M said:

You would need to restore a file backup which you took prior to starting the upgrade process. That is the only way to return to the previous release, I'm afraid.

If you do not have this, the only way forward would be to work with your hosting provider to upload the set of files from the Client Area.

Thank you, Jim.  Because of your excellent response, our host was able to restore the files and we are up and running again.  We are however unwilling at this point in time to upgrade to 4.6.10 because of the fails.  

14 hours ago, beardsleydee@gmail.com said:

Thank you, Jim.  Because of your excellent response, our host was able to restore the files and we are up and running again.  We are however unwilling at this point in time to upgrade to 4.6.10 because of the fails.  

You're very welcome.

While you are in a time that is not "urgent, site offline mode", I would recommend learning how to upload files manually to your server or find some way to accommodate this for the future. While the auto-upgrader is a fantastic tool, like any technology, it can fail and there needs to be a way forward. Often, these auto-upgrade issue result back to the server themselves with not only permissions but further things like owner/groups of the folders/files, /tmp directory having issues, connection failures, etc... Having your hosting provider investigate these things now is a good idea but in the future, manually uploading files will allow your community to get back online faster.