How to create a social subset of the Member group?

How would this group differ from the existing member group? Special permissions, access to certain areas? Will it cost money to join this group?

If you want to simply open up an area for these users to discuss and be a part of a sub-group of your community. Our Clubs feature is a perfect fit for this. You can see a basic overview of our Clubs feature here. Also, can see it in action here on our community here. To activate Clubs, you would simply go to ACP -> Community -> Clubs -> Enable (if you haven't already). Then ensure your member groups have permission to access them.

I think this illustrates the difference between "User Group" and "Permission Group".

It may not be a bad idea to separate the two since their usage are quite different:

• User group symbolize affiliation
  • Permission Group symbolize rights (and responsibilities)

Until then @sofos, maybe a custom field would suffice unless you want to manage many user groups with the same permissions?

2 hours ago, Jim M said:

How would this group differ from the existing member group?

in the paradigm of my community, it means

1st to love the same artist, consider him as a badge on the jacket that allows you to recognize yourself among many others.

2nd being able to access special areas or partecipate in reserved topics.

3th the greatest skill in being able to give opinions and suggestions about that artist.

It is a kind of Club but inserted in the community core, not in a separate space.

1 hour ago, sofos said:

in the paradigm of my community, it means

1st to love the same artist, consider him as a badge on the jacket that allows you to recognize yourself among many others.

2nd being able to access special areas or partecipate in reserved topics.

3th the greatest skill in being able to give opinions and suggestions about that artist.

It is a kind of Club but inserted in the community core, not in a separate space.

Due to you are granting access to "special" areas (your 2nd point), this would be a permission and I would advise setting up a new member group for this. Then you can either assign it as a primary group (shown publicly) or a secondary group (hidden to users in the core software). 

If you wanted to show secondary member groups, you could use the following add-on (please note that all support for third party add-ons are through the author): https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/9897-secondary-group-display/

• 2 weeks later...