Can't see any content after upgrade

Go to solution Solved by CoffeeCake,

I just moved from IPB 3.4 to Invision Community 4.5.4 on a different server, and I can't see any content from my old database.

I exported everything from the old installation, copied the .rar file to the new server and imported the SQL dump. 

Then I did the /admin/install and I hope I filled in everything as I should (at least I got no warning).

I can see the data in phpMyAdmin, so I know that the database is up and running, but it feels that IPB can't "see" it –  it's only the test site and an empty forum.

In IPB3 you could do some SQL stuff, but I don't find those option in v4.

What have I missed?

Browsing around all settings and stuff I realize one thing: When asked about the host, the default value was "localholst". When I look in phpMyAdmin for the server it says "localhost:3306", ie port 3306.

Can that be the error? If so, where can I set that?

Just now, Paul E. said:

No idea how you upgrade from 3.x to 4.x, but my guess is the part where you said /admin/install/

Perhaps this should have been /admin/upgrade?

Maybe. But I didn't have any working installation on the new server. This was a clean installation.

Doing it now only gives me "There are no applications available to upgrade".

If your 3.x MySQL database is not on the local web server, then this could be an issue.

Maybe it would help if you outlined every step you took to prepare your new server in detail.

I am not familiar with the steps involved in a IPS 3.x to 4.x upgrade, yet I would think that it would be similar to other upgrades, where you'd update your conf_global.php file to point to the IPS 3.x database, then run the upgrader and never run the installer.

Right now, it sounds like you've installed a new copy of IPS, with its own new database. You'll need to wipe all that and start over.

47 minutes ago, acarlsson said:

I just moved from IPB 3.4 to Invision Community 4.5.4 on a different server, and I can't see any content from my old database.

I exported everything from the old installation, copied the .rar file to the new server and imported the SQL dump. 

Then I did the /admin/install and I hope I filled in everything as I should (at least I got no warning).

I can see the data in phpMyAdmin, so I know that the database is up and running, but it feels that IPB can't "see" it –  it's only the test site and an empty forum.

In IPB3 you could do some SQL stuff, but I don't find those option in v4.

What have I missed?

You should not run the installer, but the upgrader. Did you overwrite your 3.4. files with those from the latest version of 4.5 package? Can you please outline step by step everything you did?

38 minutes ago, Miss_B said:

You should not run the installer, but the upgrader. Did you overwrite your 3.4. files with those from the latest version of 4.5 package? Can you please outline step by step everything you did?

I could outline what I did, but it sounds better if I do it again, correct this time. 😬

What I did:

I installed IPB4 in an empty folder and ran the install function. 

What I should do now?

Delete everything in the forum folder. 
Copy the old forum to the new folder. 
Copy the IPB4 files to the new forum, overwrite files if that happens. 
Run admin/upgrade

😬🤔

5 minutes ago, acarlsson said:

I could outline what I did, but it sounds better if I do it again, correct this time. 😬

What I did:

I installed IPB4 in an empty folder and ran the install function. 

What I should do now?

Delete everything in the forum folder. 
Copy the old forum to the new folder. 
Copy the IPB4 files to the new forum, overwrite files if that happens. 
Run admin/upgrade

😬🤔

You have installed Ipb 4.5.x in the new server and uploaded the database copy of your 3.4x forum at the same database of 4.5.x forum? Did I get it right? If so, you must run the upgrader to bring the database up to date with the new version, 4.5x. But note that like this you will loose all attachments/avatars etc. 

You say that you are moving hosts too. The best way to go about this imho, is to first move your 3.4. forum to the new host and do a proper upgrade there afterwards. 

Please see these links. They contain a lot of useful info. Hope it helps.

Edited by Miss_B

5 minutes ago, Miss_B said:

You have installed Ipb 4.5.x in the new server and uploaded the database copy of your 3.4x forum at the same database of 4.5.x forum? Did I get it right? If so, you must run the upgrader to bring the database up to date with the new version, 4.5x. But note that like this you will loose all attachments/avatars etc. 

You say that you are moving hosts too. The best way to go about this imho, is to first move your 3.4. forum to the new host and do a proper upgrade there afterwards. 

The problem is that I only have PHP 7 on my new server, and it seems like a real PITA to downgrade PHP... 

Catch 22 anyone? 😝

Thankyou for you insights and tips. I'll eventually get this to work.

10 hours ago, Paul E. said:

Maybe do the upgrade on the old server then, and then move everything to the new server.

That was my original plan. But IPB3 won’t work with a newer version of PHP, but that maybe doesn’t matter? However, I'm also afraid of doing that upgrade, after that I will be unable to reach my old forum no matter what.

Later today I will read what Miss B included, now it’s time for my daughters birthday! 🥳

Thanks again everybody. 

Edited by acarlsson

13 hours ago, Paul E. said:

If you click on the phpinfo link at the upper right of the compatibility checker, the path to the PHP version being used by your web server will be shown.

Did that and it points of course to the old version. How do I install PHP 7 in this location, *or* get IPB to point to the new install?

That entirely depends on your server configuration, OS, and/or distribution. PHP can be running in a number of different forms, and the integration with your web server can be happening a number of different ways.

You can use the information in phpinfo to help guide your searches and figure out what the next steps are. If you're using some sort of control panel/system admin type tool like cPanel, etc. there's probably some sort of process that's unique to that type of setup.

Today I am on an old OS X 10.11 El Capitan server that is my own. So I can basically do whatever I want with it.

I'm moving to a VPS at Digital Ocean, where everything is ready with PHP 7.2 etc etc.

I am no expert on these things (as you probably have noticed 😂), but I am patient and I can do installations based on instructions. But now I am stuck – I don't know how I can update PHP that IPB uses. 

1 hour ago, Paul E. said:

I have actually done the brew installation, but the result is as mentioned. 

But I will try it again, what could possibly go wrong? I also saw in your URL about "brew uninstall" which I haven't done. My guess though is that it will just sabotage my 7.2 installation and not the v5 installation. 

No, it won't magically change the outcome.

You need to review your phpinfo to see where exactly PHP resides on your hard disk and upgrade it at that location. You need to investigate how PHP is running (is it mod_php? Is it running as cgi? Is it php-fpm? etc.) and determine how you'd upgrade on MacOS (presumably).

How do you handle PHP security upgrades?

Without having access to your system, none of us will be able to tell you the steps you'll need to take. You'll need to understand how your setup is working and what steps you'll need to take to upgrade the PHP that matters for your site.

Thanks Paul.

If I check the IPS4 checker it says that the php.ini file is located in /etc while the terminal says it's located in /usr/local.... 

So, how the eff do I upgrade THAT version to 7? 

...or change what PHP version IPB (Apache I guess) will use?

There's a reason I'm moving to Plesk and an own VPS, I haven't updated this machine in a couple of years, so when you ask me about Security upgrades I'm like "douh?" 😂 

(sorry, that's the harsh truth.)

In short, you either update the configuration of your web server (apache? maybe?) to point to the version of PHP that exists in /usr/local (and ensure execute permissions are good), or put a newer version of php in /etc.

You may be able to address this with a symlink, and simply replace the PHP in /etc with a symlink to the one you upgraded.

Again, this is entirely speculation without access to the system. You may consider not messing with your production site since you're at a place where you don't know how things are working and perform the upgrade on a VM or something similar.

There will be more downtime for your end users, but you'll know what's going on and if things go wrong, you aren't risking something you don't understand.

• 1 month later...

FWIW: 

After countless tries of upgrading PHP to v7, I eventually moved all other services (email and web) on the server to other places, so it was only the forum left. After that I upgraded the Mac to High Sierra (that includes PHP 7.1). And after that I could do the upgrade from IPB 3 to 4.

I don't know how many hours I have spent on trying to upgrade PHP manually. Brew, Xcode, manual installations, etc etc. Someone that is a Unix Wizard would probably solve this in 10 minutes, unfortunately I am not... 😝

Now I'm about to move v4 to the new server. Wish me luck! 👍😀