Can't see any content after upgrade

Go to solution Solved by CoffeeCake,

20 minutes ago, CoffeeCake said:

Whatever you do, don't go to admin/install. 🙂

It's like putting up a sign saying "Don't touch this surface".... 😂

Actually, I'm stuck at taking a backup of the database. I wonder if I could use the backup I took before the upgrade? I guess not, but I'll figure it out....

Just take multiple backups, and be sure that your backup is using the correct character set.

I'm not sure about 3.x, yet you need to make sure that your 4.x backups are encoded with utf8mb4. Otherwise, any emojis in your posts will be forever lost in time. This is not the default behavior of most backup tools.

https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/8.0/en/charset-unicode-utf8mb4.html

This isn't mentioned in the above guide and probably should be. @Jordan Invision

To make a backup with mysqldump, you'd want to do something like the following:

mysqldump -u <yourmysqluser> -p <yourIPSdatabase> --default-character-set=utf8mb4 > mycarefullytakenbackup.sql

You can never have enough backups.

Thanks. I have tried taking a backup with phpMyAdmin, I get some errors and a backup is never taken.

If I run mysqldump i get "command not found"... 😞 

I did upgrade the character set during upgrade. Edit: Aha, the *backup* must be correctly encoded. Understood!

Again, I am stuck. How the eff do I take an SQL backup if mysqldump don't work...? 😩

Edited by acarlsson

Gaaah....

bash-3.2# mysqldump -u root -p aslsweden --default-character-set=utf8mb4 > /Users/admin/Desktop/aslsweden_backup.sql
Enter password: 
mysqldump: Couldn't execute 'SELECT COLUMN_NAME,                       JSON_EXTRACT(HISTOGRAM, '$."number-of-buckets-specified"')                FROM information_schema.COLUMN_STATISTICS                WHERE SCHEMA_NAME = 'aslsweden' AND TABLE_NAME = 'ibf_bbcode_mediatag';': Unknown table 'column_statistics' in information_schema (1109)

Actually, I installed an entirely new entity of mySQL... 

I have some errors reported on my IPB (how do you abbreviate Invision Community?) installment, I should fix those first. 

But that will be tomorrow, I am too tired now to think. I was so happy after the succeded update of macOS/PHP and IPB4, so i just wanted to move the stuff...

Thanks CoffeCake, you are awesome!

Yey! The forum is up an running! Couldn't have done it without the help from you splendid people! 👍🍻

I have some small issues, that I'll look into later. 🙂 

Edit: Actually, I have two errors that I can't seem to solve:

1. Avatars are gone, and all embedded pictures are gone (replaced by question marks). The paths to these are set correctly, what have I missed?

Edit: Example: Look at this page. Avatars and pictures are not there. If you hover the embedded pictures it says the URL should be /uploads/monthly... etc. I don't have any "monthly" folder in my uploads folder. And I didn't have it on the old forum either!?

Edit 2: Ok, weird: The update package contains a folder called "Uploads". In the instructions it says you should upload the package and replace all files. Thusly, all Uploaded files was overwritten. I'm currently restore a backup, but *why* is this folder included in the update package!?

2. I have this error: "You have one or more InnoDB tables that are using the `Compact` row format. This may limit the amount of data that can be stored within the table. We recommend changing it to 'Dynamic'. If you are not sure how to do this, you should contact your hosting provider or system administrator for assistance."

I have googled this but can't seem to find a correct solution.

Edit: I found this thread and am awaiting answer.

😅

Edited by acarlsson

9 hours ago, acarlsson said:

1. Avatars are gone, and all embedded pictures are gone (replaced by question marks). The paths to these are set correctly, what have I missed?

Edit: Example: Look at this page. Avatars and pictures are not there. If you hover the embedded pictures it says the URL should be /uploads/monthly... etc. I don't have any "monthly" folder in my uploads folder. And I didn't have it on the old forum either!?

Did you copy the filesystem from your existing server to your test server before the upgrade? You need to restore both the files on the filesystem and the database.

I'm not sure how things worked in 3.x, but with 4.x files are typically saved on disk.  You might have something like Amazon S3. Again, not sure how it worked in the 3.x branch.