Need more granularity for notification settings

Dll

100% agree with you @Joel R - this really feels like a huge backward step in forum engagement and a number of our VIP members have now complained to us that they had to turn the setting completely off as they were getting 20-100 email notifications per day now.

That means they're missing the important notifications of when they were being tagged and quoted in posts, which was their trigger before the "upgrade" to go and interact.

Really hoping IPB can address this one shortly. 

11 hours ago, AlexJ said:

No - that doesn't work. IPS Support staff told me that once you do that, you need to unfollow each and every single topic that you have followed. That button is just for show and I actually clicked on that link like 5 times and it doesn't stop all emails. 

I have logged an internal report for investigation because if that is what is happening, it isn't intended. The link should stop all emails without any further action.

On 1/21/2021 at 11:01 PM, AlexJ said:

No - that doesn't work. IPS Support staff told me that once you do that, you need to unfollow each and every single topic that you have followed. That button is just for show and I actually clicked on that link like 5 times and it doesn't stop all emails. 

We investigated this and it turned out to be a bug whereby daily/weekly digests were not disabled when the link was clicked. The fix will be in the next release 🙂 

22 minutes ago, Rikki said:

The fix for disabling email notifications I mentioned will be in our next release, but I don't know when that will be. We are continuing to discuss the other issues brought up here, particularly separating some of the notification types.

Great, anything that generates potentially a lot of notification emails should have its own control. You should turn on email notifications here for all staff so they can experience it 😉

Notifications in the dropdown/phone are less problematic but large amounts of email can be a big issue if you get a popular post.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2021 at 2:24 PM, SUBRTX said:

just upgraded to IPS 4.5.

We so wished we didn't upgrade 😣

It's not only the complaints that are painful, it's also that this has affected usability of our clients experience. 

And, IPB Support has said that they have talked about it internally and might make some changes one day. No matter how polite I was asking for some clarification on potential time-frames so we could let our members know - they wouldn't give us any.

I so hope they will fix this soon. 

• 4 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Nigel Moore said:

We've had more complaints since my last post. 

Has anyone come up with any creative workarounds?

"On the subject of notifications, one more thing: we've heard your feedback about notifications for new replies/mentions being merged with notifications for likes/quotes, and will be separating these two types into their own permissions in 4.6. We're acutely aware that making notifications annoying results in users turning them off, so we're always looking to ensure there is a reasonable balance."

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/3/2021 at 2:13 PM, SUBRTX said:

"On the subject of notifications, one more thing: we've heard your feedback about notifications for new replies/mentions being merged with notifications for likes/quotes, and will be separating these two types into their own permissions in 4.6. We're acutely aware that making notifications annoying results in users turning them off, so we're always looking to ensure there is a reasonable balance."

Thanks @SUBRTX - that's at least a step in the right direction, which is great news.

However, as I've just posted over in the comments on that link, I don't think it's been thought through very well.

Here's what I posted over there.

========================

I just had a closer read of it and and whilst it is a step in the right direction, I still don't think it's amazing.

Most people that use these notifications will still want to be notified when one of their posts is quoted by someone else.

But no-one wants to be notified when their post get a like/reaction.

So, keeping "quoted" and "reactions" bundled into a single option is a mistake in my opinion.

I feel like "quotes" should either be bundled with "replies / mentions" or setup as it's own option.

To be honest - for the best granularity - IMHO all 4 options should be separate.

I.e.

- REPLIES         [ON / OFF]
- MENTIONS   [ON / OFF]
- QUOTES        [ON / OFF]
- REACTIPONS [ON / OFF]

On 3/18/2021 at 8:48 PM, Nigel Moore said:

- REPLIES         [ON / OFF]
- MENTIONS   [ON / OFF]
- QUOTES        [ON / OFF]
- REACTIPONS [ON / OFF]

On 3/19/2021 at 12:42 PM, sudo said:

I dont mind reactions being shown in the notification menu but damn I dont want emails for it. 

+1.