Fresh install of books.  Screenshot of first book added:

image.thumb.png.7c58e7f21e66cae4d40e5061f0c08fb1.png

No "Buy Book" button showing.

Click on book and it shows "Buy this book" button:

image.thumb.png.307ae0ebf5d0c36448654bd55833063a.png

Visit various other parts of the site and return back to "Books" and click on book again:

image.thumb.png.83ffedfdfea9c394f41fc92c39c773e3.png

Buy button missing

Refresh screen, buy button does not return. Refresh screen, buy button does not return. 

Exit "Books"

Return back to book and the "Buy" button is not present:

image.thumb.png.6692b8a601496aac1f658b7338dba9f4.png

Refresh screen and "Buy" button appears. Click on "Buy" button and it goes to appropriate Amazon page.

Add a new book.

No "Buy"button. Refresh screen - No "Buy"button. Log out of website and log back in.

Navigate back to book:

image.thumb.png.8dd2ec484fb37e2296e76270d6bec4f0.png

Buy button present.

Log out and login as another user.

No Buy button present for the two books, refresh screen and sometimes the "Buy" button appears and sometimes it doesn't.

Edited by Chris Anderson
On 4/20/2022 at 10:17 AM, Chris Anderson said:

I've tried utilizing the Amazon Affiliate Program settings for both the User and Site with the same results.

None of the books I add will consistently show the "Buy" button. 

Provide the ISBN for these books so I can test. The script checks it the URL is a valid URL and if it doesn't return a HTTP response 200, it won't show the button.

On 4/28/2022 at 12:45 PM, Adriano Faria said:

Provide the ISBN for these books so I can test. The script checks it the URL is a valid URL and if it doesn't return a HTTP response 200, it won't show the button.

I checked all books via the following website:

Google Books

I only added books that the ISBN numnber I inputted populated all of the fields.  The ISBN list I attached all displayed the buy button for brief periods of time.

books.txt

For the very first time there was an error logged:

Could contain: White, Texture

Edited by Chris Anderson

The error is clear and it is about the URL taking more than 3 seconds to load for some reason. That’s why the BUY THIS BOOK button doesn’t show up in this book.

Let me know if you want to increase the seconds in your install. I won’t change it in the app.

Edited by Adriano Faria
8 hours ago, Chris Anderson said:

I'm willing to tweak the code to see if it will solve the problem.

Ok. Open applications/books/modules/front/books/view.php and find:

$page = \IPS\Http\Url::external( $buyUrl )->request( 3 )->get();
			if( $page->httpResponseCode == 200 )
			{
				$showBuyButton	= TRUE;
			}

You can increase the 3 there or simply remove it all and leave only $showBuyButton    = TRUE;. That will make the button always to show up, even if the link is not accessible.

Edited by Adriano Faria
  • 2 weeks later...

@Adriano Faria   

I am wanting to utilize Amazon Affiliate program and noticed quite a number of books I attempted to add will not work as Amazon does not consistently have an ISBN-10 number assigned to the book or they have an ISBN-13 number listed instead. As your app currently forwards to Barnes & Noble if an ISBN-13 number is provided many books I would like to add can't if I want to generate affiliate revenue from them.

Could you please tweak your code to allow for both ISBN-10 & ISBN-13 numbers for Amazon?

Thanks

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, hayleyflynnbcf@gmail.com said:

Hi, we just got this (absolutely love the idea for our book-themed forum!) and I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong but every time I enter an ISBN I just get a 'this field is required' error. Any ideas?

Not sure I follow. I tested it a month ago in 4.7 and worked fine.

Do you type the ISBN on book post screen, it retrieves the book data and then shows an error (missing ISBN) when you try to save?

3 minutes ago, hayleyflynnbcf@gmail.com said:

It's more as though it doesn't recognise that I've entered an ISBN at all. This is what happens:Could contain: Page, Text

Then, after pressing 'add book':

Could contain: Text, Page, File

So I can't actually add anything to the shelf. 

Nope, that’s not how shelves works. You can only add existing books (in the app) in shelves. It is requesting a book, as you can see, not the ISBN. So type a book title already added to the app instead.

1 hour ago, Adriano Faria said:

Click in + Create menu, choose a category and type the ISBN.

I'm really sorry for being a pain but this is the part I don't quite get. Where do I just enter the ISBN? I can create categories (and subcategories by clicking the +) then go over to the forum and add whatever I want to the shelf by giving all of it's information under 'submit a book', but it's supposed to be pulling that information from Google books automatically, right?

No, mate! Create the categories and add books to them and after that go to your shelf and choose any existing book (from anyone, not only the ones you submitted)  by typing its name in that popup and add it to the shelf. You don’t add books to shelves directly; you select existing books! Shelves is just a showcase of existing books from the categories!

I will make a screen video later.

Edited by Adriano Faria
2 hours ago, Adriano Faria said:

No, mate! Create the categories and add books to them and after that go to your shelf and choose any existing book (from anyone, not only the ones you submitted)  by typing its name in that popup and add it to the shelf. You don’t add books to shelves directly; you select existing books! Shelves is just a showcase of existing books from the categories!

I will make a screen video later.

Here goes 2 ways to add a book (existing book!) to a shelf:

1. via book (in the book view)
  2. via shelf -> Add book -> selecting an existing book

• 1 month later...