Saving post is very slow.

Tennman

When I click the Submit Topic button after making or replying to a post, the button grays out and it takes an excessive amount of time for the post to be saved. This just started recently. Any ideas what could be causing this to happen? Thanks!

There are many possibilities.

• Email sending could be slow.
  • You may have a plugin that does something when posts are saved.
  • Elasticsearch indexing could be slow.

Generally your best bet to start with is to use the support tool and disable all third party stuff (apps, plugins, themes), then test again to see if it's still happening. If it is, you can submit a ticket for someone to take a look.

I will try that. The only third party plugin I have installed is the scroll-to-top button I downloaded from the marketplace. I'm using the default theme with some custom CSS.  Nothing on the email has been changed from the default settings.  I'm on a shared server. Perhaps that is slowing down email sending?  Thanks for the advice!

13 hours ago, Tennman said:

I will try that. The only third party plugin I have installed is the scroll-to-top button I downloaded from the marketplace. I'm using the default theme with some custom CSS.  Nothing on the email has been changed from the default settings.  I'm on a shared server. Perhaps that is slowing down email sending?  Thanks for the advice!

You can also quickly scan through your System Log or Error Log to see if there are errors in the background.  

But send in a Support Ticket and IPS can help you diagnose.  

• 3 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, NZyan said:

I had the same problem, Elasticsearch was the reason.

If you use it, try to switch to mySQL search. Did the trick for me.

Andreas

There is a fix for this coming in the next maintenance release. They released Beta 1 on Monday and Beta 2 yesterday, so we should see the final one soon.

We've had our install patched with that fix for a couple of weeks, and our posting time and error count has drastically improved. Haven't seen any timeout errors related to Elastic since then.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2019 at 7:17 AM, AlexWebsites said:

Did you switch email sending to a different method? It's tied to email notifications I believe.

You were correct.  Changing the mail delivery method from PHP to SMTP appeared to have corrected my problem with delays in posts being saved. Only time will tell for sure but so far so good.  Thanks to everyone for your help!

Archived