Nitpicking

xdrox

Hi,

We've just upgraded to 4.3.x and I've noticed something irritating (first world problem, lol). It occurs on this board, too.

On Microsoft Edge, when opening the Leaderboard or the Who's online page, the table acts like there is a sidebar, then one second later realises that there's no sidebar, and fully deploys to cover the whole page.

It's hard to explain. Do you understand? Here's a video :

I can confirm this on all themes. @liquidfractal it isn't a theme issue, it happens on the default theme too. I remember something about this being reported, I just can't find the topic. My site loads too quickly for this to be noticed. But if you click the leaderboard link here on IPS (provided above), it happens there too. I think it was something to do with the check for the sidebar occurring later in the loading process, and not being able to handle it (and thus set display none on the sidebar) until that point. I'll do some searches on these boards tomorrow.

35 minutes ago, AlexWright said:

Happens even when logged in, with no widgets. 

It's due to the guest widget, it loads the site, and the sidebar, then sees you are logged in and hides the guest widget. Since there is nothing else on the sidebar in this case, it then hides the sidebar. The work around/solution is to either remove the guest widget or add another block to the sidebar so it will display all the time to logged in users. 

2 hours ago, Rhett said:

It's due to the guest widget, it loads the site, and the sidebar, then sees you are logged in and hides the guest widget. Since there is nothing else on the sidebar in this case, it then hides the sidebar. The work around/solution is to either remove the guest widget or add another block to the sidebar so it will display all the time to logged in users. 

Found it. In our instance, it was the "newsletter" widget. Thought I had removed it everywhere.

17 hours ago, AlexWright said:

I can confirm this on all themes. @liquidfractal it isn't a theme issue, it happens on the default theme too. I remember something about this being reported, I just can't find the topic. My site loads too quickly for this to be noticed. But if you click the leaderboard link here on IPS (provided above), it happens there too. I think it was something to do with the check for the sidebar occurring later in the loading process, and not being able to handle it (and thus set display none on the sidebar) until that point. I'll do some searches on these boards tomorrow.

Ahh, ok, yeah my site loads pretty quickly so I don't notice it either.

Archived