OG Image for Forum Topics (Support Topic)

13 minutes ago, Fred Krugger said:

It doesn't work

It doesn’t look like the topic you are testing has attachments. It has images, but not forum post attachments. From the product description:

This plugin will use the first image uploaded as attachment in a topic and set it as as Open Graph image (“og:image”) …

• 4 months later...
8 minutes ago, wegorz23 said:

Fore example I put this link https://www.audiostereo.pl/magazyn/magazyn-kulturalny/muzyka/massive-attack-mezzanine-reedycja-r708/ on facebook and it is without iamge.

That link will be shown with an image. I tested it. But it has nothing to do with my plugin, since it is a Pages article, which already supports OG:Image. 

My plugin only changes forum topics, which currently do not have an automatic OG:Image. 

Strange. Sometimes its working on pages, sth not.

That’s because Facebook will not crawl the page instantly. If you share the link for the first time, you might not see the picture instantly. But it will get added. That’s just how Facebook works. 

But still... Ive checked https://www.audiostereo.pl/topic/102152-tani-wzmacniacz-do-porady-dla-poczatkujacych/ for example and there is no image also ;/

There is. 

2140084132_Bildschirmfoto2019-03-29um12_10_15.thumb.png.44322e991126e58d0488f46f571315f2.png

• 2 months later...

Great plugin, thank you!

Just a question and a suggestion.

My question, I just tested the url in Facebook and it worked perfectly. However with Twitter I'm seeing this

1720585376_Capturadepantalla2019-06-20alas1_39_14p.m..thumb.png.9a720af6a5693c3412cc8450c9fc41d1.png

here's the URL (https://mundoregio.com/foro/topic/59007-tips-para-buscar-en-google/?tab=comments#comment-60373

and I've an attachment. Thank for your help on this one (I hope it works with twitter too).

and my suggestion...

It will be great if we can include an IF statement in order to give administrators and moderators a chance to use this incredible plugin and prevent a misuse of it as regular members might not use it properly.

Thank you again for this useful tool, you made my day!

Jesus

28 minutes ago, dlg said:

My question, I just tested the url in Facebook and it worked perfectly. However with Twitter I'm seeing this

It should work with Twitter as well. I can’t see any problems with other sites. 
The TwitterCard validator doesn’t give much information, but the Facebook Debugger shows problem on your site in regards to “name” vs ”property” in the code. I would suggest to investigate that. My guess is, if Facebook doesn’t give warnings anymore, Twitter will be happy too. https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug/sharing/

Edited by opentype
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, FASEOFMARS said:

seems to take a while to propagate will it change itself or will I need to keep scraping it?

I got it working on one post eventually then tried it on another post and it's just showing the sharer image.

The change on the site in the code is instant. I can’t influence what the social media sites are doing. If you see the regular sharer image, it was either cached by the social media site, or the plugin couldn’t find a proper attachment to use. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

great idea, but it seems rather than attachments, most users these days just paste links to external images (which IPS thankfully auto-embeds)...

therefore, i was going to ask if you might add support for using the first embedded image. however, i just read that Facebook and possibly other major social sites will be enforcing that the og:image URL be from the same domain as the page (or a white-listed domain) - so i guess adding such a feature would only be practical if our site was using the IPS cache-remote-images feature.

so instead - would you consider adding a way to specify a fallback image per-forum for when there are no attached images on a post? then at least we could have an image that is more appropriate to a particular link than our default site-wide og:image.

thanks!

• 5 months later...
On 5/28/2018 at 1:39 PM, Nathan Explosion said:

From the plugin's description:

Hi,

I know it used the first image but it would be great if we can choose/change the image.

Indeed, members doesnt care about the image used by Facebook and sometime use extenal images.

Thx

The plugin provides just a simple template change: look for attachments, set one as og: image. 
That’s why it’s so cheap. I expect that IPS will add that functionality themselves one day and this plugin becomes useless. Until then, you get a simple and useful feature for a small price. There are no plans to add any options.  

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, joseaguerrero said:

Hi, i downloaded archive, arrived in a .zip file. Inside there is a .pdf and a .xml file.
I tried to install it, following instructions, but there isn't .tar file inside.

It’s not an application. It’s a plugin and gets installed in the plugin section of the ACP
That message from IPS in the download area is wrong. I will tell IPS about it. Please check the PDF. 

Edited by opentype
  • 1 month later...

This is a great plugin.

I am starting a new community and i am thinking on buying it. My question is: most of the times people just paste a link to an image, would it be possible to do like this pseudocode (i believe it's better than explaining in words):

if (attachment && type(attachment) = image)
	ogImageTag = attachment;
else
foreach (post)
{
	if regex(imageURL in post) 
    {
    	ogImageTag = imageURL;
        break;
    }
}