OG Image for Forum Topics (Support Topic)

4 hours ago, xtech said:

This is a great plugin.

I am starting a new community and i am thinking on buying it. My question is: most of the times people just paste a link to an image, would it be possible to do like this pseudocode (i believe it's better than explaining in words):

There are no plans for this for various reasons. (Performance issues, work required … and the fact that linked images are also often GIFs, emoji and so on, while if you go through the trouble of actually uploading an attachment, it’s much more likely a proper “topic image”.)

• 6 months later...
7 hours ago, juggler_pl said:

Привет. Купил, но у меня не работает. В моем случае og: image всегда одно и то же (определяется в админпанели форума). 

Посмотрите пример с приложением:  https://www.xperiasite.pl/topic/38680-czy-xperia-1-iii-pojawi-się-jeszcze-w-tym-miesiącu/

Можно ли перезаписать изображение по умолчанию? Я могу внести изменения в код темы, чтобы заставить ваш плагин работать, но мне нужны советы. 

9 hours ago, juggler_pl said:

Hello. I bought but it doesn't work for me. In my case og:image is always the same (defined in Admin Panel of forum). 

Please look at example with attachment: https://www.xperiasite.pl/topic/38680-czy-xperia-1-iii-pojawi-się-jeszcze-w-tym-miesiącu/

It seams to be a problem of your default theme. I switched to “dark” and then the OG:image is set correctly. 

As an explanation: Theme hooks need be attached to a certain HTML code. In the specific case it’s:

<div class="ipsClearfix">

… in the topic template, called via:

#elClubContainer > div.ipsClearfix

But if your theme designer changed or removed that code, then the hook will not be executed. 
You might pass on this information to your theme designer and maybe he adds that code back for you. 

9 minutes ago, juggler_pl said:

Thanks a lot for your reply. I cleared cached via support in AP and now is ok - for new topics 🙂

Could you confirm or not that your plugin works only with new created topic? Topics created before installation of plugin have default ig:image and it is normal?   

It will work for every topic that has an attachment – old or new. 
But social networks might cache older images if the link was shared before. So it might take some time to see the new og:image. 

Ok. One more question because for my old topics it doesn't work - in code is figured default og:image. Even on default IPS theme. For new topics as I wrote is ok. 

Is it important for your plugin that some of my pictures (old) were uploaded in domain/uploads/ and new are placed in domain/uploads/monthly_year_month/ ? Or it doesn't matter? 

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I just deleted the first (and only image) of the first message of a topic to put a new one. Unfortunately, the plugin now puts the following image of another message in the topic, an image that has nothing to do with the first message.

I tried to change the attach_date with an older date but it still pick the wrong image. It looks like the plugin get the lowest id of all image in the topic.

I don't want to change the attattachments id because I don't want to play with attachments_map.

Can I filter by topic ID to change this in the plugin hook :

{{\IPS\Output::i()->metaTags[\'og:image\'] = $imageurl->url;}}

?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @opentype - do you know if this would cause any issues with sites hosted on Invision Community's Cloud plan? 

It's attempting to pull the first image uploaded to the post, but is having trouble doing so 😅

I am seeing this: The following required properties are missing: fb:app_id

Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 12.45.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 12.45.17 PM.png

Edited by breatheheavy
43 minutes ago, opentype said:

I guess there is a (temporary?) problem on Facebook’s side. I don’t see sharer images for any link I try. 

38 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Correct - at this moment in time, another site I am involved in (not using Invision) is experiencing an issue with the sharing image.

In short...F*****book.

So weird. Facebook has been giving me trouble last few days in other ways, too. It wouldn't fetch the links at all yesterday. Ok well kinda(?) relieved it's on FB's end and not something IC-related 😅

Hopefully it will resolve itself soon! 

Appreciate you following up!! 🙏 

Edited by breatheheavy
  • 3 months later...
6 hours ago, OMGTECH said:

hai,

this plugin is work. but not the .webp file. 

The plugin works for any image format that Invision Community supports, including WebP in IC 4.6.

However, I cannot control which image formats social media websites accept. I did a quick test. Twitter seems to accept WebP images, Facebook doesn’t currently. But you have to tell that to Facebook. It’s out of my control. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, JanGT said:

Hello you know if this plugin also works with telegram. I have inserted a bot on telegram to post the contents of the forum but it does not publish the images, do you know if this solves the problem of not having images? Thank you

I am not using Telegram, so I can’t say for sure, but I would expect it would work. 
Feel free to try it by posting a test URL like this one on Telegram, which uses my plugin. 

• 2 weeks later...

have used the app for years now, a great no fuss app that should be in core

a suggested improvement

below is from facebook

There are three ways to avoid this and have images render on the first Like or Share action:

<snip>

Use og:image:width and og:image:height Open Graph tags: Using these tags will specify the image dimensions to the crawler so that it can render the image immediately without having to asynchronously download and process it.

the width and height are recorded by invision on the attachment upload so could it be a simple add? 

Edited by sound
  • 8 months later...

Hey there! Back with another quick question. 

Is there a lot of heavy lifting involved to update the plugin so the admin can select what the featured image would be versus the plugin using the first attachment? Let me know please! 😃