Selling mp3 music downloads

kar3n2

I did successfully add an mp3 file into the description but a simple click on it and it allowed it to be downloaded and saved so that rather defeats the object of having it is a file to purchase

I was thinking how it might just be played there and then like soundcloud does

You may also want to look into this plugin

Or also check other plugins, you can do that by typing mp3 or mp4 into marketplaces search. I hope that helps

If you can get a player to work in the editor then you can create a extra field too then have the player only play a bit of the song. Then if they want the download they can purchase it and get the entire file. You would of course need to if using a manual style mp3 player add the shortened soundtrack yourself unless the company your dealing with offers that too.

What you want isn’t a stock feature. You probably want to reach out to a developer who would set this up for you. Basically, as mentioned before, you need an extra field for the preview mp3* and then some template tweaks or a plugin to output that field as an audio player. 

*) assuming you have preview mp3s. If you want the server to create them, then it gets a whole lot more complicated. 

1 minute ago, opentype said:

What you want isn’t a stock feature. You probably want to reach out to a developer who would set this up for you. Basically, as mentioned before, you need an extra field for the preview mp3* and then some template tweaks or a plugin to output that field as an audio player. 

*) assuming you have preview mp3s. If you want the server to create them, then it gets a whole lot more complicated. 

Yes that's right.

Its a way to preview a song first before making the purchase so a one click audio player would be perfect in the description area

47 minutes ago, kar3n2 said:

Hi

Is anyone selling music mp3 downloads on their sites?

Before I purchase the downloads I was wondering if a song can be heard via an mp3 player in the description first  before a person then clicks to buy the downloaded mp3 file to own

Check with @Nathan Explosion and his HTML 5 player.  That's the only known plugin to play audio (unless you go for a full app like Musicbox by @onlyME).  Keep in mind this still downloads the physical file.  

36 minutes ago, kar3n2 said:

I did successfully add an mp3 file into the description but a simple click on it and it allowed it to be downloaded and saved so that rather defeats the object of having it is a file to purchase

I was thinking how it might just be played there and then like soundcloud does

I think you gave yourself the solution :).  Let your users upload to SoundCloud and then add the link in the file description.  

3 minutes ago, Joel R said:

Check with @Nathan Explosion and his HTML 5 player.  That's the only known plugin to play audio (unless you go for a full app like Musicbox by @onlyME).  Keep in mind this still downloads the physical file.  

I think you gave yourself the solution :).  Let your users upload to SoundCloud and then add the link in the file description.  

yeah but its not as professional asking people to upload elsewhere is it?   All gets a bit messy I think. How nice would it be to keep it all together. upload your file for sale and upload it for previewing

...    It's a pity its not core as that would open up IPB downloads to some really nice music sales sites would it? 

4 minutes ago, kar3n2 said:

13 minutes ago, Joel R said:

Im just looking at Musicbox    thats really good... just need to make it work in conjunction with downloads then    thanks @Joel R

Even if you ask for an inbuilt player like an HTML5 video / audio player (which is a reasonable request for IPS) that won't prohibit people from downloading the actual file.  It's like an image attachment that you can right-click and Save As

You're asking for a streaming service or a custom music player, and I don't know if its worth the cost than to just tell your users to upload to SoundCloud for free.  

Archived