Increase Upload limit of 100 files

DReffects2

14 minutes ago, Daniel F said:

Is this an upload to an album? If yes it's the album - images setting controlled via => ACP => Members => Groups => ... and then inside the gallery tab "Maximum number of images per album"

It is an upload to an album but the group setting is already set to "unlimited".

image.thumb.png.49422b76c87abcb36a9adb28b725a57a.png

I vaguely remember that I've asked about this in the past for beta 4 and I had to edit a javascript settings file somewhere. This was a hard-coded limit for the upload thingy itself ;-)

14 minutes ago, Daniel F said:

What's the english error?:D

:sweat:

Hmm the entire setting "maximum images in album" does not seem to have any effect on the uploader. no matter what value i set in group permissins, it always tells me that i can upload 100 images.

I think the issue you refer to is a hardcoded value. I have experimented with a higher value previously but it was set at that level for a reason IIRC.

Are you asking "how to change that to allow more in one 'upload batch session'" or something else ? :unsure::) , you can potentially run into problems if it is too high however.

3 minutes ago, AndyF said:

Are you asking "how to change that to allow more in one 'upload batch session'" or something else ? :unsure::) , you can potentially run into problems if it is too high however.

Yes!

I am uploading galleries at the moment with 300-800 images each. can you point me to the right file? :)

This is a hard limit and bloody annoying, which is why I don't use the front end uploader anymore.

Uploading an album of 206 images takes six uploading processes.  Three for uploading 0-100, 101-200, 201-206, and then three more repeat for Amazon AWS storage.  And you have to babysit each step by clicking next next next.  There goes your afternoon.  For one album.  

@Joel R I agree it is frustrating, would be great if they made it an adjustable option in the Admin CP.

Today I tried the unsupported core file edit (literally just adjusting 100 to 400 in a few places) in one of the files and did a big upload of 400 images on my test board. 

It seems to work fine but as expected it does take a lot longer - especially on the last step for processing images (when you apply the caption/tags to all images on the last step).

I can see why IPS may have hard-limited this with the conservative 100 number.

I remember on one of the XenForo gallery add-ons I tried there was an issue with uploading large amounts of images in one go (200+) due to the approach of the plugin author. You could edit all the titles, tags AND caption all on the one page as each image was being uploaded. Then a server error would occur if you had 200+ images because the server wasn't accepting the whole form submission - to resolve it I had to increase php variable max_input_vars  from 1000 (default) to 5000. I suspect many non technical users wouldn't be able to do this easily and the hard limit perhaps helps mitigate this. 

On WordPress I didn't have this issue when bulk uploading images but then again you couldn't edit the caption/title/description until after the images were uploaded. I made use of a plugin to bulk edit a set of images in the WP Media Library AFTER they were uploaded.

Will do a few more bulk upload tests, but otherwise it does look very promising as I can now finally bulk apply %n and the tags now for large albums. :)

Just made a quick test and you can increase it yourself. The issue here is that is only doable via file edit; it can't be hooked, AFAIK. Made a quick test with 149 pictures:

KIW3bgx.png

3Etic58.png

Open applications\gallery\modules\front\gallery\submit.php and find:

'maxFiles'			=> 100 // @todo: Look for a better way of storing temporary gallery data so we can get rid of this arbitrary limit

Find:

if ( count( $val ) > 100 ) // @todo remove this limit: Just to prevent the session data exceeding it's storage size

In both cases, change 100 per your number.

Don't increase it too much, as explained in the comments above.

Btw, I also have no idea if it will have any impact in external storages (like Amazon AWS, etc.), as I don't use it.

On 10/11/2017 at 12:06 PM, Joel R said:

This is a hard limit and bloody annoying, which is why I don't use the front end uploader anymore.

Uploading an album of 206 images takes six uploading processes.  Three for uploading 0-100, 101-200, 201-206, and then three more repeat for Amazon AWS storage.  And you have to babysit each step by clicking next next next.  There goes your afternoon.  For one album.  

Is there another uploader?

Archived