Jump to content

Community

Fosters

Post Areas - Supporttopic

Recommended Posts

[constructive criticism]

There was a similar plugin for 3x that I quite liked. While this is a good effort, unfortunately, I think the other plugin's implementation was nicer.

Here are some issues I think can be improved:

  • (A dramatic example) If your forum has a hundred forums, and a user posted several times in most of them you'll end up with a long list of forums. Ultimately, I think the full list is pointless because generally the purpose of people using this plugin is to find out where they're posting the most, not where they've posted once or twice.
  • Having the list to the forums themselves is nice and all, but does it serve a purpose? If I click on a forum link, I'm expecting that it's going to show me the list of posts or topics that this user has posted in, does it do this or is it just a plain forum link? It sounds like it's just a plain link.
  • I have about 5/6 profile tabs due to applications installed, in my opinion  however, having a list of forums and your posts/topics in a profile tab is a bit of wasted space, and there is a lot of white-space in that tab as well. In the older plugin mentioned, it utilized the profile sidebar on the left, it also didn't show every forum, it showed the top 3/4 forums  by default or whatever you limited to.
  • The posts/topics is a nice statistic, perhaps if you're looking for more detail and couple that with a forum links which show you those posts (as above). However, when you're checking, just for the sake of checking, I think percentage is a better statistic to show, e.g "Oh look he's spending 80% of the time posting in x forum and only 15% in this other forum and 5% everywhere else.".
  • Options. From what it looks like, it has none. I know you've designed it as plug-in-play, this is fine, thats what defaults are for.... but that doesn't mean you need to get rid of options. Perhaps I want to limit the forums, not show as a tab, or maybe only show this tab to moderators? Without these options, it makes more work for people like myself to setup a plugin to suit my community.

I hope you can take these on board and hopefully some improvements will come out of it. I would like to purchase this, but not in it's version as portrayed by the Marketplace article.

[/constructive criticism]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I turn the app off to set which groups can view the stats and turn it back on the permissions  resets back to all.

 

Edited by DanInMS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello.

I downloaded an successfully installed this application.

But when I'm klicking on the "Post Areas" Tab, I'm getting the following error:

Error: Call to undefined method IPS\forums\Forum::canView() (0)
#0 /domain/applications/core/modules/front/members/profile.php(282): IPS\postareas\extensions\core\Profile\_Postareas->render()
#1 /domain/system/Dispatcher/Controller.php(96): IPS\core\modules\front\members\_profile->manage()
#2 /domain/applications/core/modules/front/members/profile.php(65): IPS\Dispatcher\_Controller->execute()
#3 /domain/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(129): IPS\core\modules\front\members\_profile->execute()
#4 /domain/index.php(13): IPS\_Dispatcher->run()
#5 {main}

I double checked that everyone can access this application by switching it offline.

But the setting is correct.

I'm using a IPB 4.1 Software.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mercury_ said:

Hello.

I downloaded an successfully installed this application.

But when I'm klicking on the "Post Areas" Tab, I'm getting the following error:


Error: Call to undefined method IPS\forums\Forum::canView() (0)
#0 /domain/applications/core/modules/front/members/profile.php(282): IPS\postareas\extensions\core\Profile\_Postareas->render()
#1 /domain/system/Dispatcher/Controller.php(96): IPS\core\modules\front\members\_profile->manage()
#2 /domain/applications/core/modules/front/members/profile.php(65): IPS\Dispatcher\_Controller->execute()
#3 /domain/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(129): IPS\core\modules\front\members\_profile->execute()
#4 /domain/index.php(13): IPS\_Dispatcher->run()
#5 {main}

I double checked that everyone can access this application by switching it offline.

But the setting is correct.

I'm using a IPB 4.1 Software.

It seems that you're missing the forum application. This app is showing the stats for the forums app.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20.10.2017 at 12:30 AM, Mercury_ said:

IPB 4.1 Software

OMG:(
No sorry we haven't tested and are def. not going to support IPS 4.1
If you want, we'll submit a ticket to IPS for a chargeback.

 

The last 4.1 release is almost a half year ago and we had 4 security releases after this. You should really upgrade to the recent 4.2 release if you care about your community.

 

 

Edited by Fosters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, the security patches for 4.1 did apply. No worries.

I do have some extensions, that only work for 4.1 and are not upgraded yet.

For your addon there is actually no information on which 4.x version it is working. Better add this imformation to prevent further conflicts.

 

I would go with your suggestion that I PN you with the order number and you're going to refund the order. Thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:( the application doesn't seem to work properly:

1) it shows post count only in those forums and categories, where the user created any topics. If no topics created by this user in a certain category, but he has left some messages there, no post count for this category in his profile will be shown at all :( , 

2) It is promised in the description for the application, that "Post counts are sorted in descending order"

but it sorts by the topic count, which is not convenient.

IPS 4.2.6.

By the way, I just wonder, why this module was made as an application, not just a plugin?

@Fosters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, will review this.

46 minutes ago, alexxis said:

By the way, I just wonder, why this module was made as an application, not just a plugin?

Because only applications can add own tabs to a members profile 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i think this plugin would be superb if done for user groups,

so as to show to an advertiser ,   where newest members usually read /post most, 

or senior members. (Depending on the group)  its a very good way to show to other people (in ad agencies or clients) what the core body of your forum is up to. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MeMaBlue said:

i think this plugin would be superb if done for user groups,

so as to show to an advertiser ,   where newest members usually read /post most, 

or senior members. (Depending on the group)  its a very good way to show to other people (in ad agencies or clients) what the core body of your forum is up to. 

 

Nice idea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, 

the numbers I get seems to not work properly. The stats given appears inconsistant. See screenshots below.

Could you please help me to identify what's wrong and how to get it work?

I use the current release (4.2.7)

image.thumb.png.6d88610690218b38d0e3e5da9be75962.png

image.thumb.png.701b0c7f62695422b439c940a83b8fd3.png

 

Edited by Librekom2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Joel R said:

@Librekom2 content count in IPS includes everything ... Forum topics and posts, status updates, gallery images, downloads, calendar events, etc.  

 

7 hours ago, Fosters said:

Hi @Librekom2

As JoelR pointed out above, the Post Areas will only show posts from Forums.  What you highlighted is Content Count, which is a much broader metric of all items in IPS.  Hope that helps :) 

FostersJ

thank you both for your answer. However, I still think something is wrong. The community I admin only use a forum, no calendar nor gallery used, and status update are not very popular. maybe private messages, but still, I dont believe a user with 3000+ content count would have less than a third of that as posts.

I have an exemple of a membre where the post area displays only one post, but the content count shows 6, and when i click on "see their activity", I clearly see 1 topic created and 6 posts.  (screenshot below, on the second screenshot, you can see the 3 first posts of the list, you can even see 2 posts in the same topic, but still "post area" displays 1 topic / 1 post).

 

Could  you please verify?

image.thumb.png.d7d5a42d222c5e6921919f1f0bda7d2f.png

 

image.thumb.png.43ed81726c8454dcec8342cf0461e59a.png

Edited by Librekom2
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Librekom2 take a look at my November post on this page with the same bug you have: the plugin counts only the posts in those forums, where the user created topics.

Unfortunately this issue is still not resolved :( 

And still no sorting by Posts (although it was promised to be implemented and should be logically by default, since the application's name is POST areas, not TOPICS areas!) :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

7 hours ago, alexxis said:

@Librekom2 take a look at my November post on this page with the same bug you have: the plugin counts only the posts in those forums, where the user created topics.

Unfortunately this issue is still not resolved :( 

And still no sorting by Posts (although it was promised to be implemented and should be logically by default, since the application's name is POST areas, not TOPICS areas!) :( 

In the exemple I show, there was at least 2 post in the Topic that he has created, but the post area counter still shows 1 post. So, event that seems to not work.

But maybe it's a small fix? @Fosters ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Librekom2 said:

 

In the exemple I show, there was at least 2 post in the Topic that he has created, but the post area counter still shows 1 post. So, event that seems to not work.

Yes, I saw that. I assume, the first post wasn't calculated as "1 post", that's why it showed only one (1 topic + 1 post = physically 2 posts, but the plugin's logic thinks in another way).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, alexxis said:

Yes, I saw that. I assume, the first post wasn't calculated as "1 post", that's why it showed only one (1 topic + 1 post = physically 2 posts, but the plugin's logic thinks in another way).

That's how IPS4 handles the content. The first post counts as topic and not post. Create a test user and create 5 topics with this user. He'll a content count of 5 but 0 posts.
We could probably add a setting to change the logic for this app. ( https://fosters.tech/projects/item/712-definition-of-a-post/ ) 

 

Also please keep in mind that only visible posts are counted.

Edited by Fosters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2018 at 10:06 AM, Fosters said:

That's how IPS4 handles the content. The first post counts as topic and not post. Create a test user and create 5 topics with this user. He'll a content count of 5 but 0 posts.
We could probably add a setting to change the logic for this app. ( https://fosters.tech/projects/item/712-definition-of-a-post/ ) 

 

Also please keep in mind that only visible posts are counted.

Ok, I understand for the post/topic count but it still does not explain my exemple. 

That user is new, he only has access to the less restricted part of our forum, all his post are visible.

How ever, your app displays a count of one post and one topic, when just display his content shows 1 topic and 6 posts. Therefore something is wrong.

Do you want an access to my forum to see by yourself and troubleshoot?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...