Jump to content

Promote Posts to Articles


Adriano Faria

Recommended Posts

  • 4 weeks later...

Errr... I'm not attacking you or anything, maybe my wording wasn't the most appropriate... I meant that I had this in mind when I purchased it, just to have the same functionality I had in 3.4, I think we even talked about it in the private conversation.

Edited by -FP
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2016 at 10:32 PM, Adriano Faria said:

Tags? No, it doesn't add tags. I'll add for the next version, later next week.

I was referring to this one and also the bug where it creates a new thread (duplicate) for existing threads that are promoted

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi,

Does this mod allow you to promote the first post of a topic to a new article, and the replies to the topic become the comments on the new Article, so that you can then delete the original topic? I just need to move my topics into Pages, so I can remove the unused Forums app. I don't need it to duplicate topics etc.

Does it now move the Tags to the Article as well?

Does it allow you to convert multiple topics to articles at once or do you need to to do them one at a time?

Many thanks!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Old Man said:

Does this mod allow you to promote the first post of a topic to a new article, and the replies to the topic become the comments on the new Article, so that you can then delete the original topic? I just need to move my topics into Pages, so I can remove the unused Forums app. I don't need it to duplicate topics etc.

That's the feedback I requested. People want to make it the article topic, not use it for comments. 

2 hours ago, The Old Man said:

Does it now move the Tags to the Article as well?

Currently no, but will be there in next version.

2 hours ago, The Old Man said:

Does it allow you to convert multiple topics to articles at once

No.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Adriano. I don't grasp why you wouldn't want to move replies to articles comments. I'm obviously missing why that's preferable. Perhaps it's because I'm looking to remove Forums which are completely dead on one of sites (people seem to prefer to use social media for convenience), and fully switch to Pages instead. I'm actually looking to move my News articles which are topics that were shown on the home page via RSS, it's a one time transfer.

Think I'm just going to have to move them all (about 200 topics) manually via copy and pasting, changing the date if the article each time to the original date of the topic unless I can figure out how to do it via phpmyadmin. Nightmare!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Old Man said:

Thanks Adriano. I don't grasp why you wouldn't want to move replies to articles comments. I'm obviously missing why that's preferable. Perhaps it's because I'm looking to remove Forums which are completely dead on one of sites (people seem to prefer to use social media for convenience), and fully switch to Pages instead. I'm actually looking to move my News articles which are topics that were shown on the home page via RSS, it's a one time transfer.

Think I'm just going to have to move them all (about 200 topics) manually via copy and pasting, changing the date if the article each time to the original date of the topic unless I can figure out how to do it via phpmyadmin. Nightmare!

 

My need for "Promote Post to Article"  is completely different.  My members bring new topics to the Forums every day, quite a few of those topic posts are original blogs.  I want to create a front page that highlights these topics.  It's a continual process.  However, I don't want to have two locations on my site for a split discussion on the same topic, thus I wish for the comments to go back in the original forum topic for discussion.   

The app currently puts all new comments on pages as you need, several of us have asked Adrian to give the option for comments to return to the original topic post or on the newly promoted article.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

And that's the problem. Everybody wants something different.

Sorry guys, I can't do a plugin withn 10 options. That's why I requested everybody who purchased this to tell what they want; the option with "more votes" will be applied.

 
 
 

Where do we vote?  Several of us here in this topic have asked for the same thing - to have an option to link all comments back to the original forum topic.    I've purchased this and haven't used it yet because I don't want duplicate comment discussion locations for the same topic.    I'm cool with a no comment option for the newly promoted article and I'll post my own link back to the original forum topic for comment and discussion if needed.

something like ..,    Join in the discussion "here"    where "here" is a link back to the original topic post.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can't the plugin just have an ACP setting to choose what to do?

1. Use the existing topic as the topic for the promoted article comments instead of creating a new topic when saving the new article.

2. Whatever other option. I believe is not use the existing comments at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, NoGi said:

I like the way it works now by showing topic replies as comments in the article. I just didn't want a new topic created on promotion which ends up causing duplicate topics.

But what happens to your original discussion that may have started before you promoted the Topic Post to Article?    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...