Promote Posts to Articles

About This File

This plugin will allow users to promote posts to articles, by adding the topic title and post content into the proper fields of articles post screen.

Settings:

• Define which database to use as the Articles
  • Promote only first post
  • Forums where to use the feature
  • Groups allowed to use the feature

Compatibility:

• IPS Community Suite 4.1.X
  • IPS Community Suite 4.0.X

Requirements:

• Forums app
  • Pages app

Edited by Adriano Faria
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just purchased the plugin and had a talk with Adriano about a feature, posting it here for more opinions.

Lets say that you promote the first post of a topic to a category of articles that use the forum to store the comments. In this case, I would want the new article to be tied to the topic it was promoted from, to avoid having duplicated content on the forums, but right now when you submit the article, it creates a new topic, instead of using the existing one.

Now the issue with linking the article to the existing topic: If you promote another post in the topic, one that's not the first one to create new content from it, well, it would be an issue because the conversation would remain in the same topic rather than being a new one.

So I thought that maybe Adriano can hardcode it to tie the article to the existing topic if the promoted post is the first in the topic. If it's not the first post in the topic, then just make a new topic straight away.

All this is in the case that you "use forums for comments" in your articles database.

Edited by -FP

So I overlooked it a bit.

Actually, the article IS already linked to the topic you promoted it from. I got confused because when you submit the article, it's creating another topic, but if you comment in the article, the posts are added to the topic the article was made from, not to this newly created topic after submiting the article. I guess it's a bug.

So from here the question is what happens if the promoted post is not the first in the topic.

My suggestion was to make a new topic and link the article to it if it's not the first post, but if it's the first post leave it as is.

Edited by -FP
26 minutes ago, -FP said:

Actually, the article IS already linked to the topic you promoted it from. I got confused because when you submit the article, it's creating another topic, but if you comment in the article, the posts are added to the topic the article was made from, not to this newly created topic after submiting the article. I guess it's a bug.

Yes, I override that information.

The thing is:

1 - when promoting the first post, I will use the promoted topic as article topic. A new topic will not be created.

2 - if not the first post, I will add the link to the article in this post and will create the new topic to be used as comment.

Reasonable?

1 minute ago, Adriano Faria said:

The thing is:

1 - when promoting the first post, I will use the promoted topic as article topic. A new topic will not be created.

2 - if not the first post, I will add the link to the article in this post and will create the new topic to be used as comment.

Reasonable?

That would be perfect for me.

1 minute ago, Kjell Iver Johansen said:

I'm currently on 4.1.5.2. With this plugin enabled I'm not able to save articles. Get an EX0 error. As soon as I disable this plugin - latest version Im fine

Post the content for this plugin in your log.

4 minutes ago, Kjell Iver Johansen said:

Just a question for clarification - I had a topic that I promoted to article - but this topic is still there and nothing has happened with it. Did it intend to just leave a link to the article in the forumpost?

Yes. Did you read the posts above from @-FP ? We're discussing what to do.

@Adriano Faria I also found that when the plugin is enabled for my group, when I submit an article from the pages app (not promoting it from a topic) and that articles category posts a topic to a forum, I get an error, the article is submitted but the topic is not created. The error is gone if plugin is disabled.

Edited by -FP
Wed, 06 Jan 2016 17:26:52 +0000 (Severity: 2)
89.11.148.90 - http://www./?adsess=ruom9d4k6rlrlcos3rib1g74j0&app=cms&module=databases&controller=records&database_id=1&id=138&do=form
OutOfRangeException
0: 
#0 /home/.no/system/Content/Content.php(81): IPS\Patterns\_ActiveRecord::load(0)
#1 /home.no/init.php(434) : eval()'d code(72): IPS\_Content::loadAndCheckPerms(0)
#2 /home/applications/cms/modules/admin/databases/records.php(488): IPS\cms\hook308->processForm(Array)
#3 [internal function]: IPS\cms\modules\admin\databases\_records->form()
#4 /home/no/system/Dispatcher/Controller.php(85): call_user_func(Array)
#5 /home//applications/cms/modules/admin/databases/records.php(36): IPS\Dispatcher\_Controller->execute()
#6 /home/no/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(129): IPS\cms\modules\admin\databases\_records->execute()
#7 /home/o/admin/index.php(13): IPS\_Dispatcher->run()
#8 {main}

I think this is the error - removed sitename

Thats great. For me I would like the plugin to work as it is intended today. So the routine on our board will be:

After we promote a post to article and the article is fine (we split it into Ingress - and article - and add frontcoverphoto and gpx routes)

Then we manually delete all content in the forumpost and just add a link.

90% of our articles are first made in closed forums (draughts) - with only admin/user axcess anyway - so theres no need to automatically delete anything (my 2 cents)

On 1/6/2016 at 5:26 PM, -FP said:

@Adriano Faria I also found that when the plugin is enabled for my group, when I submit an article from the pages app (not promoting it from a topic) and that articles category posts a topic to a forum, I get an error, the article is submitted but the topic is not created. The error is gone if plugin is disabled.

having a similar error

when the app is switched on if I edit an article and then try and  save it i get an error message

Sorry, there is a problem
Cannot find the page you requested
Error code: 2T257/3

when switch the app  off - saves ok 

also when promoting an article it starts a new topic rather than use the one you are promoting - which doesn't work well, when there is more than i post in the topic

Edited by sound
18 hours ago, Adriano Faria said:

Read the discussion a few posts above and leave yoyr opinion.

I'll take a look in the error.

my opinion is that if you wish a new topic started then you may as well just copy and paste the original post into a new article via the acp  and not use the app

get the errors sorted asp and then set the app up as invison had it would be my call

having to switch it on and off  before and after use due to the reported errors,  and then deleting topics and manual database edits to get the comments aligned is not really what was after

thanks

Edited by sound

What's New in Version 1.1.1:

• Fix erorrs when adding/editing articles directly via Pages
On 01/01/2016 at 10:46 AM, -FP said:

So I overlooked it a bit.

So from here the question is what happens if the promoted post is not the first in the topic.

My suggestion was to make a new topic and link the article to it if it's not the first post, but if it's the first post leave it as is.

On 06/01/2016 at 3:38 PM, Kjell Iver Johansen said:

Thats great. For me I would like the plugin to work as it is intended today. So the routine on our board will be:

After we promote a post to article and the article is fine (we split it into Ingress - and article - and add frontcoverphoto and gpx routes)

Then we manually delete all content in the forumpost and just add a link.

90% of our articles are first made in closed forums (draughts) - with only admin/user axcess anyway - so theres no need to automatically delete anything (my 2 cents)

39 minutes ago, sound said:

my opinion is that if you wish a new topic started then you may as well just copy and paste the original post into a new article via the acp  and not use the app

3 opinions out of 21! Anyone else? I'm willing to update it soon.

Well I think all I need right now is it to stop creating another topic when you submit an article from a promoted topic. (If you use the "use forums for comments" and "post topic to forum" settings)

Edited by -FP