Promote Posts to Articles

2 minutes ago, InsideEdge said:

But what happens to your original discussion that may have started before you promoted the Topic Post to Article?    

Another setting is needed to also choose what to do depending on if you promote the first post of the topic, or any other in the topic.

If you promote the first post, then what NoGi said works just fine, I don't see why it would need to be different.

Edited by -FP
1 minute ago, InsideEdge said:

But what happens to your original discussion that may have started before you promoted the Topic Post to Article?    

I use articles for static content that is useful as reference. The discussion continues in original topic and those posts show as comments in the article anyway.

3 minutes ago, NoGi said:

I use articles for static content that is useful as reference. The discussion continues in original topic and those posts show as comments in the article anyway.

ok,  but if someone comments on the article then it doesn't show up in the forum discussion --- thus there then there is a disconnect of the discussion, right?  This is what I'd like to avoid.  

39 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

Please, decide and let me know.

:frantics:

As reading through this discussion in this thread it seems that several here who wanted the article discussion in the forums have changed their mind and now use the feature to promote the topic post and all comments to the new Article.  

I do prefer to have my discussion content in the forums as the application "Blogs" really didn't work well on my site because my members look for topics only in the forums.  I don't really see my members looking through an Articles database to post comments, thus my need for this app was to highlight the best of the topic posts on a proposed new front page to the site.  The new front page is mainly to attract new members to the site.

Maybe the simplest feature to add for those who choose to only promote the topic post is to choose whether or not to allow comments. -- thus a statement as I wrote above to follow the discussion to the original topic can be manually added as needed.

4 hours ago, NoGi said:

I respect that, it's how some of my other sites work but without Pages, however for my needs on this particular community I'm then forced to keep Pages and Forums, whereas I just want to buy and run the mod once, use it to move topics into articles with any existing topic replies then becoming comments on the article, then I can dispose of Forums permanently. The author should stay the same and tags moved over too once the mod allows it.

At this rate I'm just gonna wait for IPS to re-introduce the feature... lol. @The Old Man what you are requesting... to me it feels a bit out of the scope, right now the topic comments are not really "copied" to the article, they show up in the article because of the IPS Pages setting "store comments in forum topic".

Maybe it would be easier to develop a script to move your topics with all the messages into articles for real. But that's up to Adriano.

Edited by -FP
10 hours ago, InsideEdge said:

ok,  but if someone comments on the article then it doesn't show up in the forum discussion --- thus there then there is a disconnect of the discussion, right?  This is what I'd like to avoid.

A good point, I guess I've never had this issue so don't know. What happens if you lock the article so you can't actually comment in the article hence forcing the comment to be posted in the topic thread?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...