Mod Developer (Do they get a free copy of IPB community Suite?)

media

I would like to upgrade to 4.0 but I have couple apps that needs to be upgraded too, and one of the them is SUDOKU (Free Mod), but the developer answer to my question below

MY QUESTION

Hi there,
I am about to upgrade my board to IPB version 4 but I am wondering if you are planning to upgrade Sudoku?

Thanks

HIS ANSWER

Hmmm it seems v4 is another total re-write and name change from IP.Board to IPS Community Suite so they can scrap the lifetime / perpetual licenses and leave them license holders with no option to upgrade free as original promised

These total re-writes leave mod developers with massive amounts of work each time they do these major changes

Due to these changes and the costs involved, I am considering moving to another forum, either vbulletin or a free one such as phpBB because I do not want to support a company that treats it's customers this way...

Is there something for this kind of developer to keep developing their product on free bases????

Thanks

Makes no sense... So, if app-coders get a free cop, next the themedesigners want a free copy... So, after them,. we translators want also a free copy... and so on and so on.... So, where to start und where to end... No one gets a free copy is straight forward.

Also, switching plattforms to antother commercial product like vB or xF, etc makes no sense... You also get no free copy of their products :) 

As developer we don't get no freebies most people here do it because we enjoy providing files (app,plugins & themes) and enjoy providing support to many owners/admin of IPS so like many before my reply answer question like every one else we pay keep the forum license or suite active.

In my opinion I do not think it was a great idea posting his reply (who ever it is) word for word in the forum. But as for your question, there should be no freebies. I can understand if IPB staff get freebies (don't know if they do or not) but that wasn't the question. I have never seen (in my experience) freebies giving for mods, graphics, skins, etc. That is with any kind of forum software unless they worked out a deal with the company and help them out and in return they get freebies. But that is rare from what I have seen over the years. 

First off this (sorry, don't know how to quote quotes properly):

Hmmm it seems v4 is another total re-write and name change from IP.Board to IPS Community Suite so they can scrap the lifetime / perpetual licenses and leave them license holders with no option to upgrade free as original promised

Is exactly why I switched from VB3 to IPB.  At least with IP's model, I am not having to fork out money for a new license with each major upgrade and quite frankly, the $100 a year I pay for support is totally worth my not having to deal with spam on my board.  Do I like having to renew every 6 months?  No!  Do I feel it's worth it the price, YES!  Very much so!

And B, if they don't want to have to deal with rewriting code, they are in the wrong career ;)

For info, we still offer free upgrades to a standard license, for anyone with an older type license, please file a ticket in customer service and we can upgrade this for no charge for you! :) 

I know the $100 credit thing...

But my question is not about that: Will developer get any kind of developer section to test or create their old mod/product to current version of IPB????

I know the $100 credit thing...

But my question is not about that: Will developer get any kind of developer section to test or create their old mod/product to current version of IPB????

The 100 offer expired in March 2015, that is no longer offered, however we can still upgrade to the standard license at this time. I can't promise how long the free upgrade will last, but currently it's still an option.

There is nothing special for a developer at this time, most developers develop and test apps locally prior to uploading to the marketplace. 

There is nothing special for a developer at this time, most developers develop and test apps locally prior to uploading to the marketplace.

So you are saying, they can download the software and install locally and test it locally????

They do not need a license to do this?
Am I understanding this correctly?
Thanks

First of all, @sipofwater and @Rhett thank you for your answers. I understand...

So .... Because you want free sudoku, IPS needs to give away free copies of their software?

This forum is getting extremely hostile ... Looks like we cannot ask question to IPS. Some members sound like very hostile....

I did not ask FREE software, I asked is there a way for those developer to get an environment to upgrade their free MODs...

That's all... Please chill down

So .... Because you want free sudoku

What if I want free Sudoku, what is wrong with that, you sound like a rich guy????

I have been with IPB for a long time...

I have seen and I know many good people out there without making any money, trying to  help us with their free mods...

And they help us who does not have tons of money.....

This question was about them and US...

I got my answer... Thank you....

The nature of the web (and life).  Have to take the good with the bad ;)

I myself as a developer (although not quite yet for IPS), don't expect the software to be free, even to develop for the sake of contributing freely to the community.  You are right, it sure would be nice though!  But the nice folk at Invision Power need to feed themselves.

What I would love to see, is a developer license like some of the other companies have.  

Majority of my portfolio will remain with WordPress because I simply cannot afford licenses and bi-annual renewals for them.  Until they can justify purchasing a license, they would be money losing endeavors.  

But, a developer license with a fair price tag ($999?  $1499?) for the whole suite, suddenly makes it much more affordable and I myself would be much more invested in contributing to the community and would happily leave WordPress behind.

I'm not sure if they exist, but is there a JavaScript or HTML 5 version of Suduko out there that you could use instead?  Plunk it into a block or something?

sipofwater,

I don't understand what you are getting at, with a developer license.
There already is such a thing, at the same cost as a normal license. All you need to do is download and install the free developers tools.
Here: https://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/7185-developer-tools/

All it costs thereafter, to be able to use the latest version, is the same support costs as for a normal license.
Considering the amount of time it requires to create mods, apps and themes, free ones or not, I would consider having to pay for a developers license as you propose an absolute no-no, unless you mean something completely else by this. I would not know what, because anything else you would get from a decent development environment, rather than the community suite software itself, like Zend, phpStorm, etc., in combination with your own development setup. And if you need more installations than one to test stuff, all you need to do is set these up on localhost, and they will all work just fine.

In short, there already is such a thing as a developers license, just that it doesn't cost you anything extra beyond a normal license.

HTH, kind regards, Wim

sipofwater,

I don't understand what you are getting at, with a developer license.
There already is such a thing, at the same cost as a normal license. All you need to do is download and install the free developers tools.
Here: https://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/7185-developer-tools/

All it costs thereafter, to be able to use the latest version, is the same support costs as for a normal license.
Considering the amount of time it requires to create mods, apps and themes, free ones or not, I would consider having to pay for a developers license as you propose an absolute no-no, unless you mean something completely else by this. I would not know what, because anything else you would get from a decent development environment, rather than the community suite software itself, like Zend, phpStorm, etc., in combination with your own development setup. And if you need more installations than one to test stuff, all you need to do is set these up on localhost, and they will all work just fine.

In short, there already is such a thing as a developers license, just that it doesn't cost you anything extra beyond a normal license.

HTH, kind regards, Wim

What he means is a license that allows to keep all the applications active and develop for them with less renewals. That's what I think based on his post at least.

There aren't many plugins for the blog or gallery apps especially, because most modders focus themselves on more used applications like forums, nexus, cms and downloads. Having to pay a license for applications developers do not use, except maybe the one occasional paid request is a waste of money. Even more so if we have to keep renewing it just to support 1 single modifications to be sure it's compatible with new versions (even worse if the mod is a free one and not a paid one).

What he means is a license that allows to keep all the applications active and develop for them with less renewals. That's what I think based on his post at least.

There aren't many plugins for the blog or gallery apps especially, because most modders focus themselves on more used applications like forums, nexus, cms and downloads. Having to pay a license for applications developers do not use, except maybe the one occasional paid request is a waste of money. Even more so if we have to keep renewing it just to support 1 single modifications to be sure it's compatible with new versions (even worse if the mod is a free one and not a paid one).

Hi teraßyte,

Thank you for your reply.
At the proposed pricing one could buy AND maintain a full license for 2 1/2 to 5 years, however. From that POV I didn't understand the question, considering it is already possible.
As to modding, agreed. For themers this probably doesn't apply - I think they do need the entire suite to cover all aspects, whether it is free or not :).

Kind regards, Wim

So far as I'm aware, you're only allowed one test installation per license?  And yes, I'm aware we can do this but it's not what I mean.

What I mean by a developer license is being able to develop as many sites as I want under one license.  There are companies that offer this with your clients either being completely covered under your developer license and/or they subsequently need to purchase their own license (and support).

I have developer licenses for WordPress plugins (they do it with WP Themes as well).  I purchase a single developer license at a greatly inflated price over a single site license once but can use it on as many of my websites as I want.  Some stipulate that if I sell the website, the purchaser needs to buy themselves a license to continue use.  I have also seen it tiered where you pay a certain price for up to x amount of websites.

I (currently) have 10 websites in my portfolio.  Even being cheap and only doing Pages and Commerce to create a basic website that I can sell advertising on, at 10 sites, is $3,250USD (IPS4 full price - $4300+ with current CAD exchange rate) just for the startup costs plus $1,000 per year for the lowest support level.  

Even at $2,499, a developer license is more cost effective.  Not that I can afford one at this time ;)

So far as I'm aware, you're only allowed one test installation per license?  And yes, I'm aware we can do this but it's not what I mean.

As long as you keep installations local, you can have as many installations as you like. Installations available to everyone, yes, only one official and one test per license.

What I mean by a developer license is being able to develop as many sites as I want under one license.  There are companies that offer this with your clients either being completely covered under your developer license and/or they subsequently need to purchase their own license (and support).

You could do so by developing locally, get your customer to buy a license, and then install on your customer's domain.

I have developer licenses for WordPress plugins (they do it with WP Themes as well).  I purchase a single developer license at a greatly inflated price over a single site license once but can use it on as many of my websites as I want.  Some stipulate that if I sell the website, the purchaser needs to buy themselves a license to continue use.  I have also seen it tiered where you pay a certain price for up to x amount of websites.

I (currently) have 10 websites in my portfolio.  Even being cheap and only doing Pages and Commerce to create a basic website that I can sell advertising on, at 10 sites, is $3,250USD (IPS4 full price - $4300+ with current CAD exchange rate) just for the startup costs plus $1,000 per year for the lowest support level.

Even at $2,499, a developer license is more cost effective.  Not that I can afford one at this time ;)

If you want all sited to be live while developing, well yes, you'd need a license per website/domain.

Personally, I develop locally, on a WAMP stack, and transfer any stuff to one of the 3 web sites I have which are publicly accessible, and for which I do hold licenses and pay for support.
If developing locally is not a problem - I am talking here about coding etc., rather than developing the presence and page views of a site -, then I do think the current possibilities are a good option. But then, I do not have to keep 10 public websites with ICS in the air :).

HTH, kind regards, Wim

Archived