News Support

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just installed News and it's pulling the "news" from a database used by another third-party app called Company Directory, which has an option to allow company profile owners to post their news stories about their company. After I installed it I took a look at it and the news stories there are ones posted by a lawyer in his profile page in Company Directory.

I'm thinking that News is configured to create or use a database with the same name as the one Company Directory uses. So any company news a company owner writes in his profile in Company Directory, it appears as a story in News.

Here's a screenshot of the News application installation, there you can see that it's pulling a lawyer's three news stories from his business profile in Company Directory.

Can something be done to stop News from pulling "news" from the Company Directory application?

screencapture-turkeycentral-news-2020-11-02-13_53_24.png

I also tried to configure the permissions for News. It took me to the overall permissions page. When I clicked on the "Member" group permissions option (the lock icon), there was no permissions tab for News. It seems to be the same for all member groups.

screencapture-turkeycentral-admin-2020-11-02-14_24_35.thumb.png.dd7873db7b0bdcb7359e4d4d83caa337.png

So there's no way for me to set permissions that I can see.

Edited by Bendensin
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm using IP Community version 4.5.4.2 and News version 2.3.0. I'm trying to upload and install News version 2.3.1.

But when I try to upload and install it, I'm getting this message:

2C133/4 The application you are attempting to install appears to be installed already. To reinstall the application you must first uninstall it.

I certainly don't want to uninstall it, because I've already got news stories there. How can I upgrade to version 2.3.1?

Thanks for the reply!

I went to the Applications section of my Admin CP, found News had a tag on it saying "Update Available." I clicked on that and went to a page on DevFuse, about news, with no option to update or download anything. 

DevFuse1.thumb.png.d57ac50d5588b9f2062c8690801db4c9.png

Next at the top of my Admin CP, I clicked the link to "add new applications from the marketplace" and searched for and found News. The only button available said "Install," so I clicked on that. I got this message:

DefFuse2.png.e36c7d3dcca6f288ce64ef08595f223d.png

So whatever I do, I can't upgrade News version 2.3.0 with version 2.3.1 without over-writing everything and deleting the news stories I have so far.

Could this be a problem on my end somehow? As anybody else been able to update to version 2.3.1 without having this issue?

5 hours ago, Bendensin said:

Could this be a problem on my end somehow? As anybody else been able to update to version 2.3.1 without having this issue?

What does your application state - Custom or MarketPlace?

If it says 'Marketplace', and it is doing what you say when you click to update, then log a ticket with support.

If it says 'Custom' then either:

• contact the developer to obtain the update to then manually upload it

or

• log a ticket with support to request assistance with converting the app from 'Custom' to 'Marketplace'

Edited by Nathan Explosion

Just to close the loop on this, I had erroneously assigned the News app as a custom app. That was exactly the problem. I opened a ticket in within an hour or so the Invision Community folks changed the setting for me. I was then able to update the app with no problem. Thanks again, Nathan, for your help.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/13/2021 at 9:20 PM, Bendensin said:

Just to close the loop on this, I had erroneously assigned the News app as a custom app. That was exactly the problem. I opened a ticket in within an hour or so the Invision Community folks changed the setting for me. I was then able to update the app with no problem. Thanks again, Nathan, for your help.

I apologies for the delay, I'm glad you got this fixed.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2021 at 8:10 PM, Unlucky said:

I am trying to set this to truncate to 1 line and it does not work

How does 2 lines work? And is it just not truncating or doing more then 1 line?

21 hours ago, Stuart B said:

Hi Michael, can you pls send me a link to demo?

PM with demo link sent.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2021 at 1:19 AM, Unlucky said:

It's not working no matter how many lines are selected.

Can you reproduce this on the default theme? Or have any template customization for the News template bits?

Seems to be working on a fresh install on IPB 4.5

2JmNTJM.png

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
12 hours ago, Unlucky said:

We have just added a new theme made by @Ehren

It seems to have effected the add comment box and share icons location

The combination of classes used on some of those elements technically isn't correct (they're not used like that anywhere else in the software), but adding this to custom.css should help:

.ipsBox.ipsDataItem{
	display: block;
}

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Would there be anyway to have the news widget use list rather than grid? I think it looks nicer on the front page to use the list style that the actual news front page uses. Also is there gonna be support to add tags to news?

i also noticed if you have any styling on your usergroup it doesnt use it in the news section like the rest of the site does.

Edited by CyanideBurial