Feature Plan and Open Discussions

Ocean West

At the point in time that you have doodled your thoughts with dry erase markers on the walls of IPS for items on the feature plan,  it would be nice to have a link on that particular feature that in that database to an "Open Discussion" in the forums (or some comment system ) regarding the intent of the feature – when you are actively soliciting feedback -  before the code is set in concrete. Focused perspectives from the community may round out the feature, or at least allow ample insight for immediate goals and foundations for future expansion of the feature to satisfy the quorum.

To be fair isn't this a bit late? If IPS wanted to take this approach to open discussion about feature additions or changes to functionality they should have done it during the planning of IPS 4. Closing the stable door after the horse has already bolted :)

This is a great idea, as IPS can better assess focused feedback and real use cases for the features.  

I thought about this too, perhaps a single topic for each 'item' although I can see the disadvantage of this too as it would easily be derailed or go off topic with non-relevant posts in it.

Out of the kindness of my heart, ​I graciously volunteer @AndyF to serve as peer moderator of these topics.  It was really, really difficult for me to make such a hearty recommendation since it requires no time commitment or extra responsibilities on my end, but @AndyF would be great.  

To be fair isn't this a bit late? If IPS wanted to take this approach to open discussion about feature additions or changes to functionality they should have done it during the planning of IPS 4. Closing the stable door after the horse has already bolted :)

​If we're going to be making equine analogies, it's more like the baby pony is still happily shoveling hay into his face in the barn stall, and hasn't managed to go anywhere after 2.5 years.  

On a more serious note, I'd like to add that regardless of the stage of IPS 4's development, wouldn't it be better to still have the opportunity to provide feedback?  It's always more useful to have a 'seat at the table' than to not have any seat whatsoever.  Furthermore, the framework and feature set is just being laid out.  IPS 4 is honestly in its infancy, and although the base framework may be established, we - as a community - have ample time to shape the conversion in IPS 4+.  And, you know, turn the pony into a stallion.

black-beautiful-horse-3840x2160.thumb.jp

(The amazingly magnificent IP.Stallion, only available to clients who provide feedback.  IP.Stallion is most likely "Coming Soon," but according to the Feature Plan, is probably not "Next Up" but is definitely before "Planning Stage."  Also, don't expect an IP.Blog about it.)

• Management

You seem to be thinking backwards on this :)

Everything in the Feature Plan came from discussions posted in our feedback areas and such. To then open a discussion about a discussion would create an infinite loop and crash the interwebs.

Besides there's nothing stopping you from creating topics in our feedback forum as you like. Feel free.

4.0 won't be our last release... ;)

Archived