Followers - Friends

Woodsman

You posted about ego's ?I answered.

People with Ego's are another waste of my time... The whole attitude of Hey LOOK AT ME SEE WHAT I CAN DO!

Yeah So what?

​They might be a waste of your time but many of us care about providing what our users want. It's about providing incentive to contribute.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​A few facts for you:

"Friends" on a forum are not your friends.  It's a familiar word to describe a connection in a many to many table of user accounts. Albeit they might also be your real friends, the word has nothing to do with the former. It's nomenclature to describe joining of two records. A relationship in database records.

"Followers" on a forum has nothing to do with people who stalk you or want to be like you. It's also a forum term to describe a process of joining user records in a database. Only with different functionality than the aforementioned friends system.

I suggest that instead over arguing silly semantics we discuss the functionality of each system. I could care less if it's called friends, followers, or magic unicorns. What does it do? That is what matters here.

​Well Here are few for you:

People I call friends here are people I got to know since 2005. And yes these are friends.

Stalker is not one of my comments. And to say Followers are stalkers may be somebodys interpretation which in some views I will agree.

As far as this particular topic goes, It did not have a thing to do with functionality It had to do with the terms Followers - Friends... If you don't agree go back to the top and look at the name of the OP.

​Well Here are few for you:

People I call friends here are people I got to know since 2005. And yes these are friends.

Stalker is not one of my comments. And to say Followers are stalkers may be somebodys interpretation which in some views I will agree.

As far as this particular topic goes, It did not have a thing to do with functionality It had to do with the terms Followers - Friends... If you don't agree go back to the top and look at the name ot the OP.

​well I am pleased to know that you are using a "friend system" to network with real friends. That's a great use of the system and comports well with the intent. However, the "friend system" is still a separate thing. It's a familiar name, I get that, but it's not the same thing. Joining two records in a table and calling it a friend does not by itself make that person a friend. It's a SYSTEM and nothing more.

Also if this is only about the name and not the functionality then what on earth is the issue? Go ahead and make some language edits and call it whatever you like.

It had to do with the terms Followers - Friends...

​To come back to this then: How do you feel about alternative terms? What is called Following on Twitter, Flickr, Tumblr (for example) is called Subscribing on sites like Facebook and YouTube — even though the functionality behind it is the same. Would that be an acceptable term?

Agian the original topic has absolutely nothing to do with function. Again It wa brought into the conversation and answered quite a few times.

And again it does have to do with others views on the words Friends vs Followers and where did IPS change form Leader to Follower. No where in that that original topic did it point a finger at function. Though function became a part of it, it still had nothing to do with this topic.

So we have a whole thread discussing something that can be solved with a couple of language edits? -_-

​ROFL. I think subscriber is easier to understand but it's just semantics. The issues are easy to distinguish:

(1) Follow/Subscribe System: Everyone agrees it can be very useful, just needs to be adapted from its present implementation with more controls.

(2) Friends: It's gone. IPS believes nobody used it, they didn't make it too useful and plugins wouldn't been created to extend it. The only thing that matters is whether IPS will commit to bringing it back, even at this late date. It will probably be a task but it seems to me that, without it, there is a huge hole in the community. A whole lot of subscribers/followers/stalkers but no friends.

So we have a whole thread discussing something that can be solved with a couple of language edits? -_-

I only wish.... But its a start.

Lanugage edits change very little seeing the mood of the topic was moved to function....

Changing a word here and there does not change the spam network

I can edit terms and blocks from skin themes as a designer but with very little know how in development I can only create a disaster.

​To come back to this then: How do you feel about alternative terms? What is called Following on Twitter, Flickr, Tumblr (for example) is called Subscribing on sites like Facebook and YouTube — even though the functionality behind it is the same. Would that be an acceptable term?

​Again why should it matter what they do?

If people like a following that is their choice and at present this software is right up their alley. Followers and Notifications as the are.

If they prefer the method that worked for them in the past as Friends and its choices of notification then it will work for them.

The big thing I saw with the old system was the lack of understanding what choices people had. Rather than investigating and making the changes that fit them they left everything in default and then complained... REALLY?

So instead of IPS looking to give guidance on some of these chronic complaints they decided to reinvent the wheel rather than improve on it.

So again to recap

Followers + notification as it is - This is OK for those who prefer it. But that will not work for all.

Can Friends + notifications work - Yes Asa matter of fact it can be brought back with all the extra choices of Followers in mind. Then there will be peace in both worlds... Chioces.

​They might be a waste of your time but many of us care about providing what our users want. It's about providing incentive to contribute.

​Fueling ego is never a good thing....Because ego's burst in time.

Giving one notice for a job well done lasts a lifetime.

So let me ask you... Would you rather have your ego fed? or be remembered for what you accomplished?

Yes Feeding an ego is awaste of my time. Where giving somebody a pat on the back for their (call it what you want if not job well done) is an incentive.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

On some forums they complain about the term Users, because it sounds like drug users. (Saw that back when vB was thriving.)

If I follow this topic, what would rather it be called? Watching? But then it sounds like I am a stalker. :lol: 

If you don't like the term you are welcome to edit your language files. Done. It does not mean IPS is a "follower" instead of a "leader" in the indusry. Wow.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

On some forums they complain about the term Users, because it sounds like drug users. (Saw that back when vB was thriving.)

If I follow this topic, what would rather it be called? Watching? But then it sounds like I am a stalker. :lol:

If you don't like the term you are welcome to edit your language files. Done. It does not mean IPS is a "follower" instead of a "leader" in the indusry. Wow.

​And Pot is pot but that does not mean I have to follow trends set back in the 60's

But again this is not about changing a word though as simple as it sounds.

And yes there are a few of us that have been here for some time and longer that has watched this software evolve. Some changes were absolutely trend setting where other software's like facebook and Twitter followed suit, while a few were not taken very well by the community as a whole.

Those of us that remember the old days saw a company that did not back down to trends of others, but steamed on ahead in full power doing what they did best building on a awesome software leaving competioin in the dust.... Yes true Leaders of their time.

I have never been a follower to anyone except for when I was in the military and I had no choice.

I don't follow and I don't expect to be followed either... I have a Great Dis-Liking to Cults and Cultist views.

Now Friends I can deal with. Friends can be more personable to address over a following.

Invision Power was here long before Facebook or Twitter. I guess in a sense, a Leader in community substance, growth and understanding.

So my question is why are we following where we were a community that lead and got these others to follow?

​@Woodsman Is your post a matter of semantics? Like, you're mixing 'leadership' with your personal feelings, and 'followers' between the military and forums ... It makes for a great sounding post filled with sweeping claims and great soundbites but not altogether useful in terms of providing substantive conversation.  

​@Woodsman Is your post a matter of semantics? Like, you're mixing 'leadership' with your personal feelings, and 'followers' between the military and forums ... It makes for a great sounding post filled with sweeping claims and great soundbites but not altogether useful in terms of providing substantive conversation.

And again berore this topic was hijacked into something else It started as a views topic of Followers vs Friends not what it turned out as. So adding this statement this far into the topic is in my view mute. There is quite a bit of Dialog from there to here my friend.

Fueling ego is never a good thing....Because ego's burst in time.

Giving one notice for a job well done lasts a lifetime.

So let me ask you... Would you rather have your ego fed? or be remembered for what you accomplished?

Yes Feeding an ego is awaste of my time. Where giving somebody a pat on the back for their (call it what you want if not job well done) is an incentive.

​It's strange to me how you're repeatedly approaching this conversation from a philosophical perspective.  Excuse me for being blunt but I don't give a crap about philosophy in this context.  I want to know that the code works, and that it works as it should. Nothing else matters here. So if it's about "language" then I suggest editing your files to say whatever you want them to say and if it's about "function" then let us know how you think it should work but for my sake, leave the philosophical debate for the general chit chat forum please!

is in my view mute

"MOOT" FTFY

Ego is just an industry term used to describe a driver of community interest. People like getting likes and being liked. That's ego too. 

Same goes for Friends and Followers. Many people enjoy being liked/appreciated. Nothing wrong with that. 

Archived