Invision Power Software Can't Properly Link to Wikipedia and other sites?

Schot

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You may want to chage ' in URLs manually to %27 as said on Wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hart%27s_Rules

That's not a solution though. I'm aware you can do that. I understand how URL encoding works. The point is IPB itself should be encoding the URL's, not the end user.

This is a bug and it should be fixed. Lindy himself has even confirmed that this is a bug. There's not much else to be said.

(Also, the webmaster isn't putting apostrophe's in the URL manually, this happens simply by copying and pasting URL's in a browser such as Google Chrome, or from any other generic source.)

Who really cares. Wikipedia uses apostrophe's in many of their URL's, as has been outlined here and in the bug report many times. Other websites do as well.

I don't think there's anything wrong with doing it. The URL's are properly encoded when being sent from client to server. It's when the client wants to post the client friendly version on an IPB forum that it becomes a problem. If you think using apostrophes in URL's is bad practice in general and shouldn't be done, you could state your case to Wikimedia, but regardless this is still a bug within IPB.

Take >this post for example, the bug causes HTML to be outputted when a post with an apostrophe link in it is edited. It's definitely a bug, not intended functionality.

(Which we've already confirmed and gotten past anyways)

WOW! I just read some of the original messages and this isn't a Wikipedia-specific issue. Most forum software platforms have this issue and it's exclsuive to just IPS. vBulletin has this issue as well as other forum-related software and it's not just Wikipedia either. This link problem isn't just with Wikipedia, I've ran into this problem with other sites such as Target, Best Buy, Amazon as well.

WOW! I just read some of the original messages and this isn't a Wikipedia-specific issue. Most forum software platforms have this issue and it's exclsuive to just IPS. vBulletin has this issue as well as other forum-related software and it's not just Wikipedia either. This link problem isn't just with Wikipedia, I've ran into this problem with other sites such as Target, Best Buy, Amazon as well.

How does 'most forum software' equate to 'exclusive to just IPS' ?

I'm hoping you're just missing the negative in that sentence...

Who really cares. Wikipedia uses apostrophe's in many of their URL's, as has been outlined here and in the bug report many times. Other websites do as well.

Wikipedia do not follow the rules despite of million of dollars they are collecting as donation for their work and their coders salary.

You should understand that there are excepted rules about allowed symbols in URL (picture above). If someone do not follow this rules - this is not the problem of IPS.

On my site http://www.paintingsgallery.pro/ this type of urls are being automatically converted: any not allowed symbol is being converted to _

Example:
Title: Goncharova's "Still Life (Bluebells)" sells for $4,637,488 at Sotheby's
FURL:
http://www.paintingsgallery.pro/articles/art_news/world_art_news/natalia_sergeevna_goncharova_s_still_life_bluebells_sells_for_4_637_488_at_sotheby_s
This is the proper attitude.

Take >this post for example, the bug causes HTML to be outputted when a post with an apostrophe link in it is edited. It's definitely a bug, not intended functionality.
(Which we've already confirmed and gotten past anyways)

Symbol ' is not allowed in URL. If you follow this simple rule, there no problem.

YouTube do not use ' in urls.

Mr. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Wales is not professional coder being the instrument of the Western world propaganda. As I know he do not like to follow any excepted rules in general. This is the answer of why he is allowing to use ' in their urls.

Okay, so go yell at Jimmy Wales in his mailing lists for not following the "rules." The general IPS client truly will not care that Wikipedia doesn't follow your set of rules and guidelines, they just want the software to work. There's nothing in the HTTP RFC or anywhere that I know of that says "thou shalt not use apostrophes in URL's". Nor does it say anything that I can see against clients automatically decoding %HEXHEX URI's. So I'm not sure where these rules actually exist. It's the webmasters/site administrators/forum softwares responsibility to ensure these URL's are properly encoded and prepared for use, not the end client and not Wikipedia.

When a bug with apostrophes in URL's causes this to happen,

<a data-ipb="nomediaparse" data-cke-saved-href="http://en.wikipedia....ki/Hart's_Rules" href="http://en.wikipedia....ki/Hart's_Rules" s_rules"="">Rules Hart devised is meant to go to We obviously have a problem that needs to be fixed, this isn't something to ignore because you personally don't believe websites should be using apostrophes in URL's to start with.

I've explained this as well as I possibly can now. It is a bug, and being that it's been confirmed as a bug by the CEO of IPS directly, I have confidence that it is going to be fixed.

Edit: And see what happens just by me trying to edit this post to fix a typo?

Double edit: It apparently forced my text into the quote box too! Fun stuff.

Guys, Lindy confirmed the report - we will fix it. In fact, we already had one open (http://community.invisionpower.com/resources/bugs.html/_/ip-board/single-quotes-in-link-titles-break-the-actual-link-r42514) that we would have fixed it from, but I've just closed that since the older report was reopened. :)

Not really much else to discuss at this point. We'll look into the problem. Thanks for reporting it and bumping it back up!

• 3 weeks later...

This issue amuses me, as someone just posted a message on my forum stating apostrophes in URLs don't work when making links. And they cited a link to Wikipedia as an example.. Here's the post:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/215945-forum-upgraded/?p=2823320

Would be nice to see this fixed, even if apostrophes aren't technically valid characters in URLs.

..Al

• 1 month later...

Argh, and one of my members just caught it too. In a link I made to my wiki of which the link has an apostrophe in it so the link broke and no one could follow it. I had forgotten about the apostrophe bug. How embarrassing! So now I'll have to explain again why the link breaks on my forum. Sigh... Just thought I'd stop in here and grumble about it first, lol. For me there's really no escaping this that I can see. We have a game wiki and omg there are literally hundreds of pages that use an apostrophe. The game designers used apostrophes liberally in their naming scheme of in game items for which we document explicitly. Just a small sample is a list of unique game items:

Category:Sacred 2 Unique Items

Go to that page, CTRL+F search for apostrophe, highlight all and then scroll down the list. We have LOTS and I can't link to them from my forum. I know I'm just re-stating what's been said over and over. Maybe what hasn't been stated so clearly though is how greatly this problem can affect some of us.

Is there a way that the url bbcode could automatically parse apostrophes within the url part as %27? That's probably the quickest solution. I've made two custom url bbcodes for specifically linking from my forum to my wiki. All a member has to do is copy/paste the wiki page name into a forum post and then click the wiki bbcode button to have it read/parsed as a complete url to the relevant wiki page. Maybe there's something I can add to my custom bbcode that would interpret/convert/parse apostrophe as %27?

I know you guys have a lot to do but a quick and dirty temporary solution would be nice. :smile: I'm savvy, but not quite savvy enough, heh.

P.s.

Whoops! I just noticed there's been some progress on the bug report. Gonna try out the suggestion there. http://community.invisionpower.com/resources/bugs.html/_/ip-board/apostrophe-in-url-not-handled-properly-r41529

Ok. So I don't actually have 3.4.5. I thought for sure I had 3.4.5. I must have thought so hard on updating many months ago that I convinced myself that I did. Ugh! So for me I have 3.4.3.

Should I create a new report that pertains to 3.4.3? The patch doesn't have an effect on my 3.4.3 board. I tried both overwriting my Linkify.php and then manually checked it using the instructions supplied in the report.

Yup, I read that in the report and the KB article. Though I believe the change is very minor. Two lines changed. Granted I did change it back. Since my board support has expired I still don't have a solution. I have 3.4.3. I don't think asking me to pay for an invisionpower oversight is fair. Especially when I've already paid for my "premium" software several times, IP.Board, whereas my free software, Mediawiki, handles apostrophes just fine... This is a minor bug fix and should not be used as a means to capitalize on. I'm sure, discussed elsewhere, many would agree.

Archived