IPS4: Trophies

gmaister22

I'd like to suggest Trophies as a feature of IPS4! It would be nice to be integrated and work across all official add ons (IP Gallery, IP Content, IP Board etc)!

I think its a nice feature, having people being after a Trophy will bring more activity into any kind of forum!

You could even have permissions depending on specific Trophies, collect more Trophies to get a nice title or new image bar or maybe something else ;)

http://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/5293-hq-awards-free/

There are a few, the second one is abandoned though (that's a reason i dislike using big 3rd party applications, there is always a chance of being abandoned, you can't depend on that)

But anyway i think its a nice feature, plus awards doesn't work with IP Content etc a more advanced build in version of Awards with permission upgrades and other features would be great, i think :)

Awards is a rather involved application. Not something, IMO, that is suited for the core.

That's what custom profile fields are for. That, and so much more.

I don't see enough demand for Awards that would warrant IPS writing another application to include w/ it.

I, for one, don't have a use for it and don't want it..

Awards is a rather involved application. Not something, IMO, that is suited for the core.

That's what custom profile fields are for. That, and so much more.

I don't see enough demand for Awards that would warrant IPS writing another application to include w/ it.

I, for one, don't have a use for it and don't want it..

Well you will be able to disable it, like Trophies on xenForo, you can disable them, no big deal...

I agree with Aiwa. I think this feature is best left as a 3rd party modification.

In a discussion with a developer yesterday, I asked that the rating feature for the calendar and the blogs be disabled. No one has ever used it on our board. Not once.

Unless there is a preponderance of use for a feature on a majority of the boards, I don't feel it should be included in the core.

Agreed. IPS has to design for the masses, not one specific niche market. The 'gaps', for lack of a better word, for each niche are better left for 3rd party modifications.

You can't expect IPS to throw so many features in the core that all communities, big and small, use the core, and only the core, and have settings galore to turn things on and off.

There will always be little tweaks here and there that reach out to a small percentage of the IPS clients, but bear in mind that IPS has to weigh the advantages / disadvantages of catering features for 5% of their clients while the other 95% have no use for it. Their development time is more valuable if it brings features to 95% of users instead of the 5%.

If you'd like some scale, sum up how many times those awards apps you linked above were downloaded, and compare them to the number of 'client' and 'member' accounts on these forums. Keep in mind, though, that MANY IPS clients do not have accounts here. So even that count of 'clients' is a small percentage of the actual and many of the clients here have multiple licenses. I, for one, have 4.

Well you will be able to disable it, like Trophies on xenForo, you can disable them, no big deal...

True no big deal, but if they put everything in IP.Board that just a few want, you will have a good deal of the Marketplace in there, IP.Board would end up being a 100meg download.

• 4 years later...

Sorry to bump this but are there any actively developed third party apps that achieve this?

On XenForo we had the inbuilt Trophy/Achievement system.

Would be great to do achievements for little bits (Creating first club, Gallery, topic, etc.)

Would be even better if achievements could link to a points —> virtual shop system. Did this via Dragonbyte Credits/Shop plug-in on XF but haven’t seen a similar combo on IPS 4.2..

Archived