I Would Like to See Better Profiles

Van2

Hi -

I like your topic and I think you should, if you have the time, detail the addons that you have done for your profiles. I think the IPS staff would find those examples both illuminating and illustrative since you actually added them and your large user base likes them.

Brian

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You mean how it is now or the example I created?

I thought the example you created was for 'Member Profile' not 'Member List'.

The mock I put up was aimed at 'Member List'.

I wouldn't denigrate the importance of other people's suggestions re member List, but I think it would be a mistake to emulate social networking sites and how they display members and friends. Keep it professional and in a list format, but just with more information and user activity detailed.

Re; Importance of member list. Very important. I frequently see new members immediately go to browse the member list. They want to see how many people they already know through whatever means, currently hold a membership there.

on a side note facebook hit 1 billion members today

I would just like to see more content in the profiles, I use Mods like... song in profile, You tube in video in profile, Signature in profile, A new status update in profile, Also the mod that shows how many freinds. likes, gallery images and so on

The main one i would like to see is the option to have more photo's in profile, rate your friends with comments, some fun stuff like that.

I'm sure the guys at IPS can brain storm and come up with some great ideas

I do like the idea of adding better feature in the members list. Like a search like the one in admin

I would also like to see adding a group leader for groups on my board. I would like to see the option where i can pick any member to run the group, The group leader being able to add new members and remove members from the group (like PHPBB), At this time my group leader has to pm me to do these actions, Which is a pain in the butt.

I wouldn't denigrate the importance of other people's suggestions re member List, but I think it would be a mistake to emulate social networking sites and how they display members and friends. Keep it professional and in a list format, but just with more information and user activity detailed.

Re; Importance of member list. Very important. I frequently see new members immediately go to browse the member list. They want to see how many people they already know through whatever means, currently hold a membership there.

I guess it depends on the community. Our members are not allowed to use a real name. All you see is their OnlineID aka username, and most of those names are incomprehensible: fly33, surferwxx, etc.

Yeah I know, was just saying that something like 'active posts' should go away as far as something to always be there. If someone doesn't have the Forums app installed, then it wouldn't show anyway, so treat it like the only things installed are the core and the Members app.

In the contact section there should be Facebook and Twitter added. So URLS can be parsed. FB and Twitter are HUGE, so why are they not there in the profile options by default?

No, what should be added is a way to add/edit IM and social media methods instead of having them hardcoded into the skin. Have AIM be a recognized pre-defined type of field that when you add a custom field, you can say it's AIM and it'll be treated as such. At the same time, be able to add new ones that aren't already supported and have the information automatically linked in the profile view without having to edit the templates.

IM & Social Media should not only be included as optional (admin set) fields, there should also be functionality to make use of IM and social media.
I really like what Nimble has done with their CRM profiles:
%7Boption%7D

While the application of a CRM is quite different than a forum, it does show how social media can be well integrated into Profiles.

I agree that social media is not for every website, as it does turn users away from the community onto the social media.

I really like what Nimble has done with their CRM profiles:

%7Boption%7D

While the application of a CRM is quite different than a forum, it does show how social media can be well integrated into Profiles.

I agree that social media is not for every website, as it does turn users away from the community onto the social media.

I think something like this would be better off being integrated as a third party app somehow.

Not entire sure if that would be entirely possible, but I believe it would make more sense that way.

Profiles in forum communities had been lacking for a very long time. However, there have been some improvements made after the major SN's appeared. But, admins have been requesting features for profiles for years...long before Myspace, Facef, Twit, etc. You only have to do a search here at IPB & VB to see all the great feature suggestions. Some of those contributors have moved on to BuddyPress, Social Engine, JomSocial, PhpFox, Elgg, etc. in hopes of providing what matters to end-users most on a more personal level. After all, it's not like you can't have your cake and eat it too. Some would argue that social groups provide a better environment for on topic discussions (they do include forums, events, blogs, photos, etc.) and that blogs are just as good for any type of discussions. No matter what opinion one has, what's left is giving your end-users what matters most to them on a personal level.

Forums are not just for discussions. People make friends and connections. They upload/share photos, send private messages, leave comments, updates their status, personalize (what they can) their profiles, etc. End-users want what matters to them most on a personal level. That's why the major SN's work for them. Content that matters to them is presented first, a sense of personalization (think Myspace & Twitter profiles), privacy controls (think FB's privacy issues they had), etc. The lists go on. If you don't provide this; they will make connections on your site, share their SN profiles, and continue those connections elsewhere.

Many times profile enhancement requests are shot down because people yell that we don't want to copy the big SN's. Those same people are the ones who detour others from contributing to the discussion. And those same people are either uneducated on the history of forum feature suggestions made long before those SN's appeared or they just never paid any attention to suggestions.

I hope at least one of the big forum community platforms concentrates on end-users and what matters to them most on a personal level. Enhancing the profiles is a huge start. I hope it's IPB.

once again, Marcher Technologies to the rescue!!! As I have said in earlier posts in this topic, I am a fanatic about User Interface (UI). I worship the mantra of "Don't Make Me Think."

Our community members visit often or not so often, and of course, we get new members. If they click on the Member profile, and it is the default layout from IPS, what do they see?

1. Overview and there they can do some very obvious things: send a message, add a friend. Read the member's profile.
2. Below the Overview is a tab that says Profile Feed. How do they know what it means? So they click on it ... and they see two things: comments and status updates ... so already they are turning their heads... not sure what is what.

Then these members click elsewhere in the community and almost immediately, they forget how to leave a comment or they visit another profile and they ARE inspired to leave a comment or a message ... but they have already forgotten what lies behind Profile Feed.

Marcher to the rescue: I asked him to make a hook to move the profile comment field to the right sidebar above friends and below rating and rip it out of the Profile Field page. If one of our community members now visits a member profile, KA BING .... they instantly know what to do ... it is so intuitively obvious

Thanks Marcher!!! And yes, I am happily paying him for his services. So should everyone!

once again, Marcher Technologies to the rescue!!! As I have said in earlier posts in this topic, I am a fanatic about User Interface (UI). I worship the mantra of "Don't Make Me Think."

Our community members visit often or not so often, and of course, we get new members. If they click on the Member profile, and it is the default layout from IPS, what do they see?

1. Overview and there they can do some very obvious things: send a message, add a friend. Read the member's profile.

2. Below the Overview is a tab that says Profile Feed. How do they know what it means? So they click on it ... and they see two things: comments and status updates ... so already they are turning their heads... not sure what is what.

Then these members click elsewhere in the community and almost immediately, they forget how to leave a comment or they visit another profile and they ARE inspired to leave a comment or a message ... but they have already forgotten what lies behind Profile Feed.

Marcher to the rescue: I asked him to make a hook to move the profile comment field to the right sidebar above friends and below rating and rip it out of the Profile Field page. If one of our community members now visits a member profile, KA BING .... they instantly know what to do ... it is so intuitively obvious

Thanks Marcher!!! And yes, I am happily paying him for his services. So should everyone!

Can ya link me to this mod please

Can ya link me to this mod please

Marcher hasn't made it into a mod for the public. I paid him for his time to create it. Best to contact Marcher and see what he wants to do. My input on the mod he made was just this: I paid for it so I wouldn't be thrilled if everyone else got it for free. But if Marcher wants to make it available for sale to others, no problem.

Marcher hasn't made it into a mod for the public. I paid him for his time to create it. Best to contact Marcher and see what he wants to do. My input on the mod he made was just this: I paid for it so I wouldn't be thrilled if everyone else got it for free. But if Marcher wants to make it available for sale to others, no problem.

That's understandable. A mod I made (restricted reply function) was because of a request and I was offered money for it as a custom job, but I did it for a lower cost and made it available in the MP. Except for rare circumstances when a custom mod is custom because of a site (unique function that no one else would really ever use), I think it's a good idea to make it available in the MP, more likely to get more income from it.
:)

Can you please supply a screenshot or a demo to your profiles so i can check before contacting Marcher

Hi,

I agree with you "Levy McGarden" I see the Member Lists as useful, very much so, I am very new to this, but how would the Members, as my Group is for support that is, no selling, beable to send each other PM?

Just a newbie question =D

Peace,

Jan

Good afternoon,

I would like to see a different approach with the Profiles, but my opinion is more feature like.

One again I am very new, and up until a month ago had a Web Developer do everything for me. So I am on my own now just a FYI.

I know when the feature came out to "customize" the Profiles, I know my Members were dis-appointed is all, (not me) I am "very" happy hear to be honest, but the members got all excited as to create there own theme.

When they were done, and the theme was in the background, not a fill in of the template, okay don't know how to explain?

So I will just say this with all good intention, you couldn't really, actually customize the Profile, unless I don't know how on my end, all I seen was a way to put a personal "border" around the original template already there?

Make sense?

Peace,

Jan

Not familiar with this at all but yeah, think I know what you mean.

What would have suited yor members better was if there had been transparent backgrounds on the individual info-fields and boxes within someone's profile, I assume.

Archived