I Would Like to See Better Profiles

Van2

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had an idea earlier. What about something along the lines of a 'portal' page for member profiles, where it could be set to be the default tab when a members profile is viewed. The 'portal' page would be like the portal page that used to be part of IPB, except it would be for member profiles. Toy with the HTML, tags/blocks, etc to give it the look you want. Just a thought.

Can you please supply a screenshot or a demo to your profiles so i can check before contacting Marcher

I actually kinda miss my old profile. I primarily miss the old profile comments system. Now it's just all.. odd.
attachicon.gifprofile.png

I actually miss a lot of things from 3.0.x, but that's just me.

Ditto to both.

One thing I've never understood is why the 'member list' is considered an important enough area of a forum to be placed second in the navigation. Why is it even in the navigation?

I don't think I've ever actually used the member list on a forum. If I want to find a specific user, I'll use the search feature. Unless I'm missing some amazing feature within the member list, It just seems like an utterly pointless feature to me.

I use the member list all the time and so do my members. I do not want to have to go to the admin CP just to browse registered users.

This is why facebook has become so popular over the years This is why facebook has become so popular over the years

More and more I believe people are trying to blur the line between social networking sites like Facebook and forum software like this. They are not the same, and I wish more people would realize this. Here's a thought, if this software was designed to be like FB, well we'd all have own 'social network' sites... which would then unturn make FB nothing special(to other people, it's not special to me at all tongue.png ) nor popular... which then means no-one will be trying to copy it, like you are asking now.

I use the member list all the time and so do my members. I do not want to have to go to the admin CP just to browse registered users.

I'm not saying that you should have to go to the admin cp. Why would you browse through pages and pages of the member list when you can use the search feature from any page within IPB?

Navigation is usually ordered in terms of hierarchy which is why I'm questioning the fact that a page which I and many others barely use is positioned second in that hierarchy.

More and more I believe people are trying to blur the line between social networking sites like Facebook and forum software like this. They are not the same, and I wish more people would realize this. Here's a thought, if this software was designed to be like FB, well we'd all have own 'social network' sites... which would then unturn make FB nothing special(to other people, it's not special to me at all :tongue: ) nor popular... which then means no-one will be trying to copy it, like you are asking now.

I think that IPS has stopped being forum software and started becoming suite software long ago. The suite caters to informative or social websites.

IPS has successfully implemented like, notifications, following and even the style has facebook like elements. I don't think its wrong to copy successful features that the average internet user is accustomed to. Such functionality is simply a reality of modern day. If it makes the software better, then why not?

I think that IPS has stopped being forum software and started becoming suite software long ago. The suite caters to informative or social websites.

IPS has successfully implemented like, notifications, following and even the style has facebook like elements. I don't think its wrong to copy successful features that the average internet user is accustomed to. Such functionality is simply a reality of modern day. If it makes the software better, then why not?

:) In my view that's the direction IPS is headed in and wants to become. However, they are still very much forum software. After 4.0 that may no longer be. :)

So, IPB is forum software that's going the route of being something othan than forum software?

I don't think so. IPB is still and will always be forum software. It will eventually be removed as the core of IPS software, but I'm almost positive IPS is not going to abandon IPB in favor of the rest of its community suite. That'd be pretty dumb, don't you think?

If you want a Facebook clone, you're in the wrong place. There are plenty of knock-off scripts out there that aim to do this.

So, IPB is forum software that's going the route of being something other than forum software?

If you want to get really picky and pedantic, IPB has been far more than(and I would even go so far as to say something other than) a forum software since 3.0.

It is and has been a framework.

Just because there currently is not a button to disable the forum does not mean in any way that many sites do not run with it disabled.

I would say it is what you want it to be(with code ability) or what you install/use.

So, IPB is forum software that's going the route of being something othan than forum software?

I don't think so. IPB is still and will always be forum software. It will eventually be removed as the core of IPS software, but I'm almost positive IPS is not going to abandon IPB in favor of the rest of its community suite. That'd be pretty dumb, don't you think?

I think you missed the point of what was being said. I don't believe anyone said that IP.Board is no longer Board software. That's like saying that Gallery is no longer for images. IPS used to be centered around forum software development, with blog and gallery being add-ons, but is moving towards making it so that IP.Board will be an optional component.

I think you missed the point of what was being said. I don't believe anyone said that IP.Board is no longer Board software. That's like saying that Gallery is no longer for images. IPS used to be centered around forum software development, with blog and gallery being add-ons, but is moving towards making it so that IP.Board will be an optional component.

I probably shouldn't post while half asleep at 2AM, since I did misread the post made as saying IPB should become more of a social networking script rather than forum software somehow.

I probably shouldn't post while half asleep at 2AM, since I did misread the post made as saying IPB should become more of a social networking script rather than forum software somehow.

I don't believe there's anyone here that hasn't posted while half asleep (or literally falling asleep at the keyboard typing something they think makes sense only to look at it later and think, 'what in the world...?').
:lol:

Archived