3.2 Avatars...

Tripp★

Consistency, yes. But not sameness. I would really like to see the [u]option[/u] to have avatars in any size I want. If they break [u]my[/u] layout, this is my problem and nobody else's.

Couldn't agree more...
I'm sure that not everyone want to make/edit their avatars to 90x90 just so that it can be use in a forum.
If for some reason we stick to keeping this avatar edit, can we at least have it set to 100x100... most avatars are usually that size.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't use facebook. I have an account with all those social sites, but other than visiting them once a month I don't go near them. I visit my forum every day. I want to be able to have the avatars and have them a decent size and not have them look all funky. It is one of the things I enjoy about forums over social networking sites like face-crap.

It fine to update things, but to basically look like facebook? No. That's just... No.

Regards,

Wilford Tibbetts

Really disappointed in this, in fact I'm debating upgrading to 3.2 at the moment because I got no end of complaints when avatars in topic view were restricted to 100x100 - nevermind 90x90!

I understand that we can increase this limit by a few edits - which is good, but if uploaded photos are simply stretched to accommodate the edit, then this will lead to very ugly forums.

I hope it can be readdressed by Invision...

Cheers

I'm sorry but I'm gonna have to agree with mostly everyone here in regards avatars. I've been with IPS for almost 4 years now, and I've been really happy with the service, support, and updates. Although 3.2.0 is a really good release the avatar restricted global limit has made a lot of my members upset and myself as well. I run a large gaming community, and they can be very picky about avatars, and like everyone said it would be nice if we could set a limit through the ACP that way they can upload any avatar and if it's too large it will resize it other than that just leaves it as it is.

P.S. I saw the reply about a manual fix, but reading at other comments I'm assuming it forces every avatar to be that size? Anyways, see if you guys can do something about this.

Thanks

Totally needs sorting and that fix is poor, the image quality is horrendous as it trys to enlarge them.. My avatar photo was originally over 250px in size, and changing the code in the css to 150 from 90 looks junk..

I just don't understand why so much importance is placed on the Profile view. I have been admin-ing sites for almost 10 years and almost never go to a users profile other than to PM them or check something. I don't imagine it is a big destination point for very many and certainly not as big a focus as the post view.

I could easily live without much in the way of profiles, on forums the post should be king...........

That's why I said it's not perfect yet :P I haven't spent too much time doing anything other than proving it is possible at the skin level. CSS and formatting is not my thing.

We purchase skins from Skinbox, so until they update their skins I don't update. So I haven't had much of any reason to try other than to prove possible.

Hate what they did with avatar please revert back or put option in acp. i went to acp and alot of options and setting from all over the place are now gone. why is it that as IPB get more advance we get less and less control of options and decision on our forums????

I didn't think that the avatars not visible to guests was considered a bug. Spent a couple of hours looking for the option on my admin cp-
Obviously the forum, without the avatars visible, look like a cemetery with visible only pics in B/W.
Please, can you leave a temporary patch?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! Where do I enable the new setting?

Edit: Think I found it. Settings-->Members-->User Profiles-->Show users full photo in topic. It was set to 0 - or default - I changed it to 200pixels wide and it now shows the avatar perfectly. %7Boption%7D

Edit #2: Hmm... Images aren't quite as sharp though. Did I do something wrong, ya think? Should I try to sharpen the image in an editor and reupload it?

Regards,

Wilford Tibbetts

There was a new setting added to 3.2.1 to use the real size. The black bars are only added when the image is cropped, so you would need to enable the new setting and reupload your image - that should remove the bars I believe.

Anyone know a way to make the black bars a different color? I'm fine having the images cropped, but the black bars are just too bold against the default light color scheme. I couldn't find anything in the CSS file that changed this.

I prefer the "merged" system (i.e. avatars also act as profile photos). In previous versions of IPB, avatars were much more commonly used and viewed than profile photos were, and it makes more sense for a user to have one "face" rather than two. It's a fine testament to the "uncluttering" and cleaner, more streamlined system that IPB 3.2 achieves.

While I sometimes prefer avatars to be scaled to the same size and proportion since it produces a more unified feel, I also think that corresponding settings should be included as options adjustable via the Admin CP like in previous versions of IPB. That being said, I think that on the forum index, topic listings, feeds and various other areas, the avies should always be scaled to the same size and proportion in order to maintain a more unified look, a quality that isn't as easily hindered [by differently sized or proportioned avatars] in threads or posts.

Now, why are remotely hosted non-Gravatar avies not allowed anymore?

• 1 month later...

I know I'm coming in late on this discussion. I just found it on google. I have to agree to some extent. One thing I have always thought was kind of cool on vbulletin was how certain members can have some facebook like banners for their avatar that are styled to be really cool. While other members have the default size. it is a little feature you can give to say people who donate.

It would be nice to make avatars just a little bit bigger.

recently switched to 3.2.3 some members say they cant change there avatar / photo.. I have looked and looked and cant see where the member control planel is that had a "buton" that said some members cannot change personal photo? It was on older versions..

any clue?

• 11 months later...

If I get what you guys are saying, it is limited to the 100x100 box? Well I dont know how, but I managed to change some stuff and got it so I can have default square or if you say put in a rectangle image in, its doesnt shrink below the 100, it just extends the width to say "150px" to accomodate the size, so I can have square or rectangle images as long as height is 100px.

Archived