Download: Shoutbox

Pete T

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Michael,

I recently updated my shoutbox to version 1.1.4 and then shortly after that updated to 1.1.5, I don't know if this is a bug, but I know I did not have this when I was running pre 1.1.4, essentially what happens: soon as you scroll in the shoutbox with in a second or two the shoutbox goes right back to the top, this makes it extremely difficult to read previous shouts because before you even have time to read them the shoutbox is back at the top. Is this a bug, do you know how I could resolve this issue, I have looked through the settings and I can't seem to find one for this feature.... bug, feature I don't know :smile: Can you help ?

EDIT:

I actually notice this happens when the shoutbox is refreshed, so every time the shoutbox is refreshed your back at the top, this is very annoying when you have a faster refresh speed turned on, just thought I'd add this extra info.

The changes between 1.1.4 and 1.1.5 were just these two bug fixes:

http://invisionfocus.com/tracker/issue-252-duplicate-help-entries/
http://invisionfocus.com/tracker/issue-290-sidebar-global-shoutbox-does-not-refresh/

Neither one of those would cause an issue like what you're describing. I've not ever seen this occur, nor have I heard anyone mention this issue. I'd recommend looking at what else you might have changed between then and now.

Im having a lag issue, i submitted a ticket thinking it was a issue with the board and they said it was with a application or hook and to try disabling until i pinpointed the problem. Well i went one by one until i got to the shoutbox and then the issue went away. I have used this amazing app for a long long time with no issue so im confused as to why something is causing this. I disabled it form everywhere but the shoutbox link itself and my board works great but if you click the link it will take up to 10 seconds to load at times. I clean & prune shouts every two days so i dont think its that but at this point im unsure what to think, got any ideas by chance?

This application, especially when showing the global shoutbox hook, can use a lot of resources, that's no secret. If you're finding it uses too many resources for your liking, then you need to try things like disabling the global shoutbox hook, showing it on fewer pages, having it auto-refresh less, or not at all, etc. There's not any way to make this app do what it does without having it use resources, the fancier you make it behave, the more resources it's going to need.

Any updates on new much needed features?

Mobile Support, sidebar running beside the shoutbox and a new feature I will talk about below that would really help out on my site with a busy shoutbox.

A moderator bar that sits just below the text field on the global shoutbox and the shoutbox page, can be hidden as well. It has the ability to warn members in the shoutbox(you can set the about of warns for a shoutbox ban). When the user is warned they will get a popup message telling them they have been warned. Ability to stop the shoutbox to members but allow moderator groups to view the messages. Also the ability to give members a temp ban from the shoutbox from 10 minutes to 24hrs. Also when a member has been warned their row could show a different color eg yellow, orange and red for last warning.

A big issue for me and the community has been the shoutbox, members will not accept it's removal but often fights break out and they are intensely hard to moderate.

when I use the board installer for shoutbox 3.2, it installs, and then displays only this message on my boards

Fatal error: Call to undefined method IPSLib::makeNameFormatted() in /home/bloodlin/public_html/admin/applications_addon/other/shoutbox/sources/classes/library.php on line 700

i have. i have double checked that it is the correct version of shoutbox. the other FAQ do not apply to the error.

If you're getting that error, you do not have the correct version of the app installed, or at least you still have old versions of some files on your site. This version of the app does not contain that function referred to in your error, only the old one did. Re-upload all of the files for this version, making sure they overwrite the old copies of the files on your site.

This application, especially when showing the global shoutbox hook, can use a lot of resources, that's no secret. If you're finding it uses too many resources for your liking, then you need to try things like disabling the global shoutbox hook, showing it on fewer pages, having it auto-refresh less, or not at all, etc. There's not any way to make this app do what it does without having it use resources, the fancier you make it behave, the more resources it's going to need.

I wouldn't know what to look for. If it just started happening, then you need to go back and look at what you might have changed on your site in the past week.

Well i upgraded it to the latest version but cant think of anything other than that. Went as far as removing all hooks and only enabling the shoutbox and it does the same thing, im far from a pro and am willing to give ya [s]$5.00[/s] bucks if you can come be our hero lol!!

I know your really busy michael but im stumped & members are not happy, will $10.00 help out a bit better?

i have installed shoutbox, but when i type any message and click on shout, nothing happens.

Yes, i have checked the permission masks in " Manage User Groups" and also shoutbox is online, i try re-installing it, but same problem :sad:

Even if i try to click on any button of shoutbox (Smilies, BBCode) etc, nothing happens

It's not a question of how much it will cost me to look at it. What you're describing does not sound like anything to do with the Shoutbox. I've giving you the best advice I can already: you need to look back at what you've done to your site around the time this issue started occurring. I would have no idea where to look on your site for that, because I don't know what all you might have done.

i have installed shoutbox, but when i type any message and click on shout, nothing happens.

Yes, i have checked the permission masks in " Manage User Groups" and also shoutbox is online, i try re-installing it, but same problem :sad:

Even if i try to click on any button of shoutbox (Smilies, BBCode) etc, nothing happens

It sounds like you haven't uploaded the javascript files for the application.

Archived