Profile Picture vs. Avatar

Angel Knight Phil

I posted this in the 'Features for 3.2' thread, but since I saw that bfarber said that suggestions should be post in separate topics, well... here I am.

I really do love IP.Board, but I think there should be some simplification of the avatar/profile picture setup, or at least some way for board admins to control it better. Right now, each user can upload an 'avatar'

I noticed the mobile skin uses posters' profile pics in threads instead of avatars. Because, you know, that's not confusing at all! Are profile pics more mobile friendly? Do we want to make smartphone users feel stupid for not recognizing their fellows? Is IPS just that in love with the concept of profile pictures?

I don't hate profile pictures, I just want them kept in their little corner. I do prefer avatars because of their usual dimensions that fit better and scale down nicer than all the various shapes and sizes of profile pics seem to in all the places the board calls for them. That's probably really anal of me.

I noticed the mobile skin uses posters' profile pics in threads instead of avatars. Because, you know, that's not confusing at all! Are profile pics more mobile friendly? Do we want to make smartphone users feel stupid for not recognizing their fellows? Is IPS just that in love with the concept of profile pictures?

They said it was because photos have thumbnails stored while avatars don't, and because avatars can be hosted externally with no limitations on their size.

This has been discussed a lot.
I hope IPS will consider it in their next major version, and sticks with one of them. We don't need 2 photos!
I think the best idea is going the social way (like in Facebook): One profile picture (displayed on profile page) & gets resized to fit other places.

Archived