Hosting vB Forums on IPS Hosting

mld11

I was discussing forum software with my friend, as he is starting a forum and I recommended IPB to him (of course). Later on (after having the board setup and working) he found out that vBulletin boards are not permitted on his host.

So my question to you is, do you allow the end user to run a website using vBulletin software on your hosting packages?

I thought it was an interesting rule, and I don't think anyone has ever stopped to ask this before. I understand everyone has their differences / opinions towards the difference forum software companies out there, but I would like to know this.

I think you need to not think of IPB "hosting" as a regular web host, and instead consider them a software services company. When you get a hosted IPB instance from Invision, what you are really getting is a subscription to a software service, in this case the IPB forum. I would really doubt that IPB would be interested in just being a regular web host that anything could be installed on, Vbulletin or whatever.

Would you go to salesforce.com, or Basecamp, and ask them to host a Vbulletin forum? No, because they are not "hosts", they are software services companies. I don't think Invision is any different.

[quote name='Ditchmonkey' date='16 November 2009 - 01:36 PM' timestamp='1258335384' post='1879609']
I think you need to not think of IPB "hosting" as a regular web host, and instead consider them a software services company. When you get a hosted IPB instance from Invision, what you are really getting is a subscription to a software service, in this case the IPB forum. I would really doubt that IPB would be interested in just being a regular web host that anything could be installed on, Vbulletin or whatever.

Would you go to salesforce.com, or Basecamp, and ask them to host a Vbulletin forum? No, because they are not "hosts", they are software services companies. I don't think Invision is any different.

I (and IPS) disagree with your assessment.

I can see the logic in having an IPB forum hosted by IPS but can't see any logic in hosting a VB forum with them since IPS wouldn't be able to provide any assistance with the forum if things go wrong. Therefore you might as well host the VB forum somewhere else where the price is a bit lower.

But why anyone would want to use VB is beyond me!!

3DKiwi

[quote name='Rikki' date='15 November 2009 - 11:04 PM' timestamp='1258344275' post='1879622']
We do not currently allow other bulletin board scripts on our hosting packages.

Thanks for the simple, yet direct reply. Good to know others have differing opinions on the matter too.

[quote name='Rikki' date='15 November 2009 - 10:04 PM' timestamp='1258344275' post='1879622']
We do not currently allow other bulletin board scripts on our hosting packages.

Why is this? Seems like a strange direction of hosting. As long as the customer abides by the TOS what's wrong about having a vB, you're still focusing on a hosting service on that matter. Just wondering here.

[quote name='Dark Slipstream' date='16 November 2009 - 05:57 AM' timestamp='1258347420' post='1879629']
Good to know others have differing opinions on the matter too.

We have opinions, but Rikke speak officially. wink.gif

Beside, the IPS hosting is not cheap but it became quite interesting because they also include licence, server optimized for IPB and a very good assistance for the package IPB+hosting.

With a vBulletin board you will have left just an expensive hosting smile.gif

[quote name='dr. Jekyll' date='17 November 2009 - 07:37 AM' timestamp='1258400224' post='1879801']
We have opinions, but Rikke speak officially. wink.gif

Beside, the IPS hosting is not cheap but it became quite interesting because they also include licence, server optimized for IPB and a very good assistance for the package IPB+hosting.

With a vBulletin board you will have left just an expensive hosting smile.gif

Actually, only community hosting packages have a license (and no website space). The web hosting packages have no license.

[quote name='3DKiwi' date='17 November 2009 - 01:36 PM' timestamp='1258421815' post='1879906']
IPS aren't in the business of general hosting. They are in the business of providing forum hosting solutions i.e. IPB forum and hosting. They can then offer hosting solutions tailored to meet IPB forums.
3DKiwi

Actually, they are in the business of general hosting.

what hosting company wouldn't allow vbulletin hosting?
did they allow any type of discussion board being hosted?
sounds a bit ridiculous to me to single out vbulletin

sorry to get off topic

I used to be hosted by Invision. It is a good starting website if you don't need a whole lot. I don't think IPB's focus is hosting, but as an extra service to their customers. Its also a great way to have your first website and be able to test the ipb board, but it had its limitations as those boards were encoded so a lot of third party addons did not work with it at the time.

Every time I want to come back, I found that I really can't as I have outgrown their hosting.
They used to have webservers showing on their website, but I don't see that either.
Wish they would have reseller accounts (ones with multiple cpanels).

[quote name='Brandon Sheley' date='17 November 2009 - 05:05 PM' timestamp='1258434333' post='1879937']
what hosting company wouldn't allow vbulletin hosting?
did they allow any type of discussion board being hosted?
sounds a bit ridiculous to me to single out vbulletin

sorry to get off topic

If you actually read what Rikki said, he indicated that they forbid any non-IPB discussion software being hosted. Of course, if we logically extend that why is not Joomla, Wordpress, Moveable Type, Coppermine, aMember, etc, forbidden as they also compete with IPS products. It just seems a bit silly.

What you're discussing is very theoretical - the number of people who have genuinely wanted to use another forum software on our hosting I could count on one hand - and the reason is usually they want to transfer and then convert to IP.Board.

De jure, we do not allow several competing products due to various reasons - a list of the products we don't allow is in the hosting policies: http://www.invisionpower.com/legal/hosting_policies.php
De facto... well, nobody ever wants to.

I think this should be common sense if you guys think about it for a little bit. :) We offer a bulletin board product, so it's not really in our interests to offer hosting for competing products. There are other reasons (some have exploits, some are resource intensive, etc.) why we may not allow specific individual scripts as well (such as Unreal Portal).

I think there are plenty of other hosts available if you want to host a phpbb or vb board.

Archived