IPB vs. vBulletin

SNN

[quote name='Ohn03s' date='15 October 2009 - 12:04 PM' timestamp='1255604641' post='1866827']
You have to wait till its approved(Which can take up to 48 hours but is usually much faster)

I don't think an order has ever had to wait that long ;)

The billing/accounts team start in in about an hour, and approving orders is usually the first thing done :)

[quote name='Klisis' date='15 October 2009 - 01:25 AM' timestamp='1255566303' post='1866682']Vb has been having problems ever since their project leader Kier left as well as over half of former staffs quit. Then some "Ray" guy took over as a manager. With all the thread locking and screening going on, I kinda saw this coming but I didn't expect it to be executed so badly.

God, I didn't know Kier had left... I wonder why... although going by recent events, we can probably guess why, he saw what was coming and wanted to be no part of it.

I purchased the pre-sales VB publishing Suite as i thought it was a great deal (since i did need another license and my current license is still active). But i am starting to have buyers remorse. After reading most of threads and news releases i'm starting to think i rushed into it.

I tried a Demo of IPB and i must say, i am VERY impressed. I know i will definately be purchasing a license for my next project.

When i get closer to actually purchasing the license from IPB i will flood the forums will all types of questions, lol.

Hi folks -

I too am thinking of moving over to IPB, however I do have questions.

I've done a lot of modification of my board (custom banner rotation page, various mods, drop down menus, etc) and am concerned that the functionality that more board members enjoy won't be able to be replicated. Would it be possible for someone to review my site and see if those things are possible under IPB?

- I allow HTML in the signatures and posts, is this possible in IPB? I know phpBB does not allow it.
- My current skin creator does not work on IPB, so I'd have to do an entire new one. How flexible is the skinning system? What kind of support is offered? I do have a concern regarding things being file based vs. database.
- What kind of mods are available?

[quote name='Pope Vipe' date='15 October 2009 - 05:11 PM' timestamp='1255651873' post='1867227']
Hi folks -

I too am thinking of moving over to IPB, however I do have questions.

I've done a lot of modification of my board (custom banner rotation page, various mods, drop down menus, etc) and am concerned that the functionality that more board members enjoy won't be able to be replicated. Would it be possible for someone to review my site and see if those things are possible under IPB?

- I allow HTML in the signatures and posts, is this possible in IPB? I know phpBB does not allow it.
- My current skin creator does not work on IPB, so I'd have to do an entire new one. How flexible is the skinning system? What kind of support is offered? I do have a concern regarding things being file based vs. database.

You should be able to view this: http://community.invisionpower.com/index.php?app=downloads - That should give you an idea of what's currently possible. There are also third-party sites that have more mods such as invisionize.com and invisionmodding.com.
You can allow HTML in posts (and I think signatures but I'm not 100% sure).
The skinning system is quite flexible. It actually is a database system but it's cached to files, so you get the best of both worlds. :) Support for custom skins is not offered by IPS but is quite easy to find by community members or paid skinners.

[quote name='Pope Vipe' date='16 October 2009 - 01:11 AM' timestamp='1255651873' post='1867227']

Via the ACP, you can allow HTML to be used in both signatures and posts.

[quote name='Pope Vipe' date='16 October 2009 - 01:11 AM' timestamp='1255651873' post='1867227']

You will find many modifications on IPB resource sites (e.g. Invisionize, Invision Modding, Invision Tweaks, etc...). If you're looking for a specific modification, by all means ask here on IPS and a member will be able to point you in the right direction.

My board is www.templeofevil.com/forum, could you guys perhaps take a look and let me know if a similar look/function is available?

Specifically, the drop downs, and rotating banner, If you look under the community dropdown, check out the member list.

The rotating banner is just a piece of PHP code that is called from within the header template.

[quote name='Charles' date='14 October 2009 - 06:05 PM' timestamp='1255568734' post='1866693']
We don't have that specific permission level in your example however there are others that we do have.

The permissions you mentioned are for forum-level permissions. There are also individual settings in each forum settings (outside permissions setup) and at the user group level.

Can you check your pm's before I have to take back that "Nice Comment" I'm ready to roll when I hear from you.... :) :poke

[quote name='Pope Vipe' date='15 October 2009 - 05:43 PM' timestamp='1255653787' post='1867243']
My board is www.templeofevil.com/forum, could you guys perhaps take a look and let me know if a similar look/function is available?

Specifically, the drop downs, and rotating banner, If you look under the community dropdown, check out the member list.

The rotating banner is just a piece of PHP code that is called from within the header template.

Both of those can be done fairly simply if you're fluent in site administration.

You can do virtually anything with IPB, with the right amount of knowledge/assistance.

For instance, if your banner rotation script is just a php script, you can easily do includes in our template system.

That will include myphpscript.php and put it's output where you insert that tag into the skin template.

Dropdown menus - you can do that too with a little custom skin work. Look at our member dropdown at the top of the page - can easily replicate that to other areas.

{parse include="/home/site/public_html/myphpscript.php"}

nfn, incorrect. I had been offered for this to be moved to the Feedback forum, and they had done so upon my acceptance of the request. Please read the thread before making assumptions. Thank you.

I am thinking about converting over to IP.B because of the whole reason why I think we're getting scammed at vB.com, but won't bring that up here, as there are numerous websites already created about this.

So I've read that you can parse include()s in a template, which actually sounds quite useful.

One question I do have, what does this mean?
# 5 day major version upgrade turnaround

Also, where would I find the "official" community modifications website for IPS? (Or is there even one available?)

[quote name='SNN' date='17 October 2009 - 03:46 PM' timestamp='1255751162' post='1867830']
nfn, incorrect. I had been offered for this to be moved to the Feedback forum, and they had done so upon my acceptance of the request. Please read the thread before making assumptions. Thank you.

I am thinking about converting over to IP.B because of the whole reason why I think we're getting scammed at vB.com, but won't bring that up here, as there are numerous websites already created about this.

So I've read that you can parse include()s in a template, which actually sounds quite useful.

One question I do have, what does this mean?
# 5 day major version upgrade turnaround

Also, where would I find the "official" community modifications website for IPS? (Or is there even one available?)

Official community mods is right here on this forum: http://community.invisionpower.com/index.php?app=ccs

You will be able to browse mods, but not download. You might also not have access to read articles (but can get an idea from the titles)

Thank you very much Mat. The modifications that I need was a concern, found every single one I needed for my boards. :)

I will probably be buying a few licenses (once I sell my vBulletin ones that is)
The only difficult transition will be the coding factor, I'm used to vBulletin's non-OOP coding. (OOP meaning IPSMember::create())

The learning curve from 'non-OOP' to an OOP practice can sometimes be difficult, but once you've got the hang of it you'll probably realise why it was done that way in the first place. OOP makes everything a lot easier to read, use, and re-use. Everything is where it belongs.

That said, we do have a vast selection of articles at IPS Resources which goes over a lot of the coding in IP.Board 3, be sure to give that a read!

There are also dedicated forums under the IPS Resources category which can be useful if you ever have a specific coding question which is not covered in the article, here other members of the community can help you get to the bottom of your problem. :)

Be sure to check out all the resource section has to offer though, for coding/designing help it's incredibly useful!

Brand new here and still finding my way around, so apologies for any newbie errors. We are also potential vBulletin refugees. Most of us prefer threading and use either Threaded or Hybrid mode in vB. Ideally we would switch to forum software that does threading well. Does anyone here have an IPB forum using threading that I could look at? So far I've been unable to find one. Unless I'm just not seeing where to select the view/display mode. ? Thanks!

Archived