IPB vs. vBulletin

SNN

[quote name='BacTalan' date='19 October 2009 - 11:30 PM' timestamp='1256023805' post='1869134']
Click your name in the top right > My Settings > Forums > Topic Display Mode

Thank you! Sure helps to look in the right place ... that one little dropdown opened the door to just about everything I wanted to explore, and I've already found the answers to a couple of other questions. :thumbsup:

[quote name='bfarber' date='20 October 2009 - 05:26 AM' timestamp='1256045209' post='1869215']
You can also set the default view mode in the ACP Settings for guests/new users.

I figured that was the case, thank you muchly! I've kind of taken on the job of exploring the forum software from the user/member POV so I needed to find where the user would change the view from whatever the default might be. We've got others on the team who are much better at the admin stuff than I am. Ah, well ... we all have our strengths and weaknesses! Now I can explore how IPB's thread/outline/tree and hybrid/linear+ views compare with vB's. (Good grief, I wish there were some sort of standard terminology for these things.:blink:)

[quote name='Mark' date='14 October 2009 - 04:20 AM' timestamp='1255519257' post='1866372']
Yes. We have scripts which will handle taking members from your old URLs to the new

Mark, where are these scripts and is there a how too on using them? I would think it's a simple htaccess redirect but I cant' seem to find them anywhere?

Thanks in advance.

From my understanding it's a series of php files that are included with the upgrade kit. For instance, showthread.php, forumdisplay.php, etc. would be replaced and have code to find the proper new location with a 301 redirect.

The "how to" is pretty much just upload the files.

Archived