IPB vs. vBulletin

SNN

I'm not expecting any sort of response from them. From the looks of it, they are just trying to squeeze as much money as they can out of the current community and license holders. Unless 4.0 is absolutely UBER (lol yes I said uber) to the point where I wouldn't mind paying for it, then I'll be moving back to IPB.

[quote name='Mark' date='14 October 2009 - 05:20 AM' timestamp='1255519257' post='1866372']
Yes. We have scripts which will handle taking members from your old URLs to the new

How long it takes to download or activate this script? I would convert my forum this night and maybe its better to redirect the urls as fast as it can be.

[quote name='Enes K.' date='14 October 2009 - 11:48 PM' timestamp='1255560500' post='1866659']
How long it takes to download or activate this script? I would convert my forum this night and maybe its better to redirect the urls as fast as it can be.

It's included in the converter script under the "Tools" directory. Simply open the config.php file, edit the variables - and then upload all of the files to wherever your vBulletin source files were.

I still have an active license of a Vb and I have to say that it's really chaotic in licensed customer forum right now at Vb. There is no way that I am going to renew my vb license in current status. I am not paying a dime to those backstabbing bastards at Vb.

And so-called manager has vanished ever since the new pricing has been announced and left few support staffs to deal with the mess. What a day.

FYI, I had two active Vb licenses. I moved one of my Vb license to IPB in May 2008 and still retain one active Vb license.

There are huge differences in Vb3 and IPB3. But, to be bluntly honest, I never rely on mods because they are always unreliable. But if you do use lots of mods, I will say that Vb will be better for you.
Though some of really important and much-needed Vb mod features are built right in IPB as official features.

Oh, and IPB has an official CMS, Gallery, Downloads, and Blog (Which I am not so fond of.) as add-on.

• Management

[quote name='Klisis' date='14 October 2009 - 07:35 PM' timestamp='1255563302' post='1866671']
I still have an active license of a Vb and I have to say that it's really chaotic in licensed customer forum right now at Vb. There is no way that I am going to renew my vb license in current status. I am not paying a dime to those backstabbing bastards at Vb.

And so-called manager has vanished ever since the new pricing has been announced and left few support staffs to deal with the mess. What a day.

FYI, I had two active Vb licenses. I moved one of my Vb license to IPB in May 2008 and still retain one active Vb license.

There are huge differences in Vb3 and IPB3. But, to be bluntly honest, I never rely on mods because they are always unreliable. But if you do use lots of mods, I will say that Vb will be better for you.
Though some of really important and much-needed Vb mod features are built right in IPB as official features.

Oh, and IPB has an official CMS, Gallery, Downloads, and Blog (Which I am not so fond of.) as add-on.

As for mods we are working on things to encourage more mods but, keep in mind, we have lots of features standard in IPB (like certain SEO functions and such) that require a mod for vB. So one could say you need fewer mods in IPB depending on what you're after.

New versions of Gallery/Downloads/Blog/etc. are in the works. We will be posting blog updates about it in the next week or two :)

Just a reminder: we appreciate the feedback (both positive on how we can improve) on our products but let's not become vB trolls. They have enough problems right now and if IPS were to ever have trouble we would expect a similar professional courtesy from them.

[quote name='Charles' date='15 October 2009 - 01:01 AM' timestamp='1255564876' post='1866677']
As for mods we are working on things to encourage more mods but, keep in mind, we have lots of features standard in IPB (like certain SEO functions and such) that require a mod for vB. So one could say you need fewer mods in IPB depending on what you're after.

New versions of Gallery/Downloads/Blog/etc. are in the works. We will be posting blog updates about it in the next week or two :)

Just a reminder: we appreciate the feedback (both positive on how we can improve) on our products but let's not become vB trolls. They have enough problems right now and if IPS were to ever have trouble we would expect a similar professional courtesy from them.

That's why I said, "Though some of really important and much-needed Vb mod features are built right in IPB as official features."
But, yes, IPB3 does have a lot of features that can only be done as mods in Vb, and don't feel so bad for the blog. Vb blog is a failure anyway.

Personally, I don't buy "in the next week or two" promises. I've learned my lessons from experiences. :o I am more like "I will believe it when I see it" kind of person.

Vb has been having problems ever since their project leader Kier left as well as over half of former staffs quit. Then some "Ray" guy took over as a manager. With all the thread locking and screening going on, I kinda saw this coming but I didn't expect it to be executed so badly.

• Management

[quote name='Klisis' date='14 October 2009 - 08:25 PM' timestamp='1255566303' post='1866682']
Personally, I don't buy "in the next week or two" promises. I've learned my lessons from experiences. :o I am more like "I will believe it when I see it" kind of person.

Well then be sure to read our blog tomorrow and hang around here for the next few weeks ;)

[quote name='Charles' date='15 October 2009 - 01:36 AM' timestamp='1255567004' post='1866686']
Well then be sure to read our blog tomorrow and hang around here for the next few weeks ;)

Meh, just release IPC (Gee, that sounded really weird. "I pee, see...") 1.1. :ph34r:

[quote name='Charles' date='15 October 2009 - 01:36 AM' timestamp='1255567004' post='1866686']
Well then be sure to read our blog tomorrow and hang around here for the next few weeks wink.gif

I just love new features... and that's what we get with IPS, a company that listens to its customers and values them!

I think in hanging out with vBulletin admins, one of the things they've consistently brought up as IPB's weak point is it's permission system. For example, in the admin demo, I only see 6 forum-specific permissions that are setable for usergroups. (Read/Write/Upload/Download etc.). I'm not sure if I'm missing something or not.

What if I wanted a certain usergroup to be able to lock threads they personally created in a certain forum? (Not sure why I'd ever want this, but...)

• Management

We don't have that specific permission level in your example however there are others that we do have.

The permissions you mentioned are for forum-level permissions. There are also individual settings in each forum settings (outside permissions setup) and at the user group level.

Thanks Charles! As a vBulletin user previously, I'm pretty impressed with what I'm seeing in the admin demo. Everything seems pretty smooth and straight forward. A lot of cool little features. :)

Is there anything similar in IPB to vBulletin's 'Notice System'? (ie. you can display a bar at the top based on certain conditionals....hasn't approved email, < 5 posts in 30 days etc.).

[quote name='Chris R' date='14 October 2009 - 08:59 PM' timestamp='1255568351' post='1866691']
What if I wanted a certain usergroup to be able to lock threads they personally created in a certain forum? (Not sure why I'd ever want this, but...)

You are correct, there isn't a built-in way in IP.Board to set it so that a certain group of users (members using a certain permission mask, not necessarily a certain user group) can lock their own threads in a certain forum; the permission system does only let you set those six permissions you mentioned. But there is a reasoning for that: those are the permissions most likely to change on a mask-by-mask and forum-by-forum basis.

There is a resource cost for storing permissions; the more permissions you need to be storing, loading, and checking, the more CPU and memory that is needed to load the page. Multiply that by the number of users hitting the pages where these permissions are checked and you could end up with a significant increase in resource usage. There has to be a balance between resource usage and features, which is why IP.Board only gives you these few options in the permissions matrix.

I'm a bit surprised the vBulletin guys think this is such a weakness, this isn't something that very often gets a lot of attention from customers here saying that it needs any improvement.

[quote name='Μichael' date='14 October 2009 - 10:44 PM' timestamp='1255571076' post='1866717']
You are correct, there isn't a built-in way in IP.Board to set it so that a certain group of users (members using a certain permission mask, not necessarily a certain user group) can lock their own threads in a certain forum; the permission system does only let you set those six permissions you mentioned. But there is a reasoning for that: those are the permissions most likely to change on a mask-by-mask and forum-by-forum basis.

There is a resource cost for storing permissions; the more permissions you need to be storing, loading, and checking, the more CPU and memory that is needed to load the page. Multiply that by the number of users hitting the pages where these permissions are checked and you could end up with a significant increase in resource usage. There has to be a balance between resource usage and features, which is why IP.Board only gives you these few options in the permissions matrix.

I'm a bit surprised the vBulletin guys think this is such a weakness, this isn't something that very often gets a lot of attention from customers here saying that it needs any improvement.

Makes sense. I can see why this is done. I can only think of a few strange examples of where such a powerful permission system would come into use (and the resource cost associated with it probably wouldn't be worth it, like you said). It is probably best for the obscure examples to be done on a case-by-case basis :)

I've really been impressed with the IPB community and staff so far. I was initially concerned as IPB doesn't have the sheer volume in it's community that vBulletin has, but size isn't everything it seems. I think it's great to see the Invision Services teams interacting with everyone on the forum. It's nice to know that if I have a feature suggestion or a concern that someone at least reads it. The transparency in development also gives you a warm fuzzy feeling...I can understand why IPS doesn't reveal every secret thing they're up to, but with the blogs and staff comments, you can atleast get a good idea of what's going to be implemented.

I do think there will be a learning curve switching from vBulletin to IPS. It's hard to compare both software packages side by side. You could probably sit around all day and find features that are in one but not the other. It's also hard to evaluate down-and-dirty performance just by reading and looking at the demos, but so far I've been seriously tempted to become an IPB customer :)

[quote name='Chris R' date='14 October 2009 - 10:24 PM' timestamp='1255569869' post='1866703']
Thanks Charles! As a vBulletin user previously, I'm pretty impressed with what I'm seeing in the admin demo. Everything seems pretty smooth and straight forward. A lot of cool little features. :)

Is there anything similar in IPB to vBulletin's 'Notice System'? (ie. you can display a bar at the top based on certain conditionals....hasn't approved email, < 5 posts in 30 days etc.).

Unfortunately, no. There isn't anything similar in IPB like vB's Notice System. There is a "global forum message" mod to display an announcement at the top of the board, but you can't really set specific conditions like in vB. It is a feature I'd really like to see in IPB however: http://community.inv...7-board-notices :)

Honestly, implementation of such a feature doesn't look promising due to concerns regarding resource usage. But, maybe a mod will pop up for it someday.

[quote name='Chris R' date='15 October 2009 - 03:20 AM' timestamp='1255573231' post='1866725']
I do think there will be a learning curve switching from vBulletin to IPS.

Don't worry about that. IPB is very easy to learn and a bit more difficult to master. In my opinion IPB does a better job at that. The system actually guides you though. And if that don't works there is alway's a search option(That still have to be improved in my opinion).

The permissions work with a "Permission Set" that you are able to make and assign to groups or users. So there won't be ghosts that can read anything without you knowing :) The Permission set is powerful and overview-able however as a sacrifice limited compared to vBulletin(It involves view forum, Read Topics, Post Topics, Reply to Topics, Download, Upload).

Anyway IPB is extremely admin and user friendly and powerful.

[quote name='Enes K.' date='15 October 2009 - 01:19 AM' timestamp='1255565943' post='1866680']
My vbForum is full with turkish characters.(Posts,Usernames etc.) Is there any problems in converting the turkish characters (Ş,Ğ,İ,Ç) to invisionboard. I converted 3 years ago to vbulletin from phpbb and there were lots of problems.

You need to make sure you set everything up correctly, but there's no reason why it can't be done :)

If you purchase the conversion service, we'll handle all of the working it out for you - if you're doing it yourself, it depends what charset you're using as to how exactly you'd go about it. If you submit a ticket, a technician will be able to advise :)

So, i´am finished with buying the latest invision board :) Good bye Vbullletin and welcome for invision board. Thank you Mark..

One question: How long it can take to convert the hole site to invision board? i´ve already sent you the ssh login.

[quote name='Enes K.' date='15 October 2009 - 11:33 AM' timestamp='1255602817' post='1866820']
So, i´am finished with buying the latest invision board :) Good bye Vbullletin and welcome for invision board. Thank you Mark..

One question: How long it can take to convert the hole site to invision board? i´ve already sent you the ssh login.

We'll schedule a time to perform your conversion and let you know roughly how long it will take. Of course, it depends on how big your board is.

Archived