"Clean Cut" SKin is GREAT! Should be the DEFAULT skin for IPB 3.x

Speed Racer

"Clean Cut" SKin is GREAT!!! Should be the DEFAULT skin for IPB 3.x!

Everyone can check it out in the lower left of the board (can select it from the drop down). It is very clean and nice. It fits MUCH closer to the previous IPB 2.x and yet seamlessly integrates the new IPB features into it. I will wait until it is released to upgrade my IPB 2.3.6 boards. I was having a hell of a time making the new skin work and look anything like my old board. This new skin will do the job and require less tweaking to accomplish this. I hate having to make radical changes as it complicates future upgrades. This will solve this issue.

I also want to point out than from a "user GUI ease of use" the CLEAN CUT skin just seems to make more sense to me on where things are placed. I can find things faster and it just seems to work well. I hope IPB sees it this way to and can consider making it THE default skin.

[quote name='bfarber' date='17 July 2009 - 04:25 PM' timestamp='1247873109' post='1828104']
It will be included by default, but I don't think we intend to make it *the* default skin.

Will you officially support updates to this skin as you release revisions of 3.x?

[quote name='Lindy' date='17 July 2009 - 08:18 PM' timestamp='1247887134' post='1828207']
We will keep the skin updated just as we do the default skin, yes. :)

Does this mean you will also provide a GDK? There are a few images in the skin set that I would like to modify.

Yeah the usability (ease to find things) in the "clean cut" skin is much better IMO. I was contemplating a massive amount of work to redo the old skin and now this may make that not as big a deal. When will this be released? I will be waiting to upgrade to 3.x from 2.3.6 on this one.

Oh and to IPB. Please do not take it as bad if some of us find the new skin better than the one IPB, Inc made. If anything be proud that you have a community that is willing to provide back to you such great ideas and work.

[quote name='Speed Racer' date='19 July 2009 - 03:22 PM' timestamp='1248034969' post='1829108']Oh and to IPB. Please do not take it as bad if some of us find the new skin better than the one IPB, Inc made. If anything be proud that you have a community that is willing to provide back to you such great ideas and work.

[quote name='Mesmer' date='19 July 2009 - 02:03 PM' timestamp='1248037431' post='1829125']
well I find the IP.Board skin better, and I have more than 100 posts! :P (something with oil and water..)

:P I only post here when I am passionate on an issue I guess. Mostly I save my time for the forums I work with outside of here. I am glad that IPB will be officially supporting the skin. I hope that they release it soon.

@IPB: Any idea on when you will be releasing it?

[quote name='Mesmer' date='19 July 2009 - 10:03 PM' timestamp='1248037431' post='1829125']
well I find the IP.Board skin better, and I have more than 100 posts! :P (something with oil and water..)

I forgot! When IPB did some upgrade I ended up with two accounts. Here is my above 100 post account :P . Note it is me above.

It would be kind of hard to guarantee anything at this point I'm afraid. Hopefully, we should have a GDK available for it when it's ready to be released. I'm not sure if anyone can really give you a straight yes or no at this stage, however.

[quote name='bfarber' date='20 July 2009 - 02:35 PM' timestamp='1248125727' post='1829750']
It would be kind of hard to guarantee anything at this point I'm afraid. Hopefully, we should have a GDK available for it when it's ready to be released. I'm not sure if anyone can really give you a straight yes or no at this stage, however.

Can you tell us if you expect Cleancut to be released withni 1-3 months. 3-6 months. I do not mean this to be a disrespect, but the default IPB 3.x skin is just too difficult to "mod" into the look I want without massive modifications. Cleancut will require not only less modifications but additionally just "makes more sense" from a layout and ease of use perspective. Knowing a "release date range" for this is important to me because I have three boards I am holding off on (2.3.6 now) upgrading until this happens.

I'm afraid I don't know when it will be released. I know our customers like some sort of timeline for the things we do, but realistically it's very hard to give you a timeframe. As sparc suggested, the sooner the bugs are sorted out and cleaned up, the quicker we'll be able to include it. :)

• 6 months later...

[quote name='Speed Racer' date='17 July 2009 - 09:06 PM' timestamp='1247864767' post='1828039']
"Clean Cut" SKin is GREAT!!! Should be the DEFAULT skin for IPB 3.x!

Everyone can check it out in the lower left of the board (can select it from the drop down). It is very clean and nice. It fits MUCH closer to the previous IPB 2.x and yet seamlessly integrates the new IPB features into it. I will wait until it is released to upgrade my IPB 2.3.6 boards. I was having a hell of a time making the new skin work and look anything like my old board. This new skin will do the job and require less tweaking to accomplish this. I hate having to make radical changes as it complicates future upgrades. This will solve this issue.

I also want to point out than from a "user GUI ease of use" the CLEAN CUT skin just seems to make more sense to me on where things are placed. I can find things faster and it just seems to work well. I hope IPB sees it this way to and can consider making it THE default skin.

Do you know where i can download cleancut for version 3?

IPS have not released an official version yet.

When I asked on the forums, my post was ignored by IPS in the feedback forum, having waited until the new blogs etc. came out and still nothing. I then asked in a ticket and was told it was not an official skin at all and it was a community skin, and that it was dependant upon the community. It was only when I pointed out Lindy's post above that they agreed it was an official skin, but gave no indication of when it would be updated.

I am disappointed with IPS on this skin as they promised it in 3.0.3 (I think) and since then we have had a couple of beta versions and nothing since 3.0.5 was released. It looks poor here and reflects badly on Ehren who originally crafted the skin and won the competition that IPS ran last summer.

All very sad and not up to the usual standard of IPS on what is an excellent skin.

The main thing i am missing is communication.
I am very very happy that Ehren published Clean Cut 305 in the Customer Lounge, but i also thought that Clean Cut is an offical Skin and should be released alongside the standard skin. What is when Ehren is no longer supporting this skin? Will it ever leave the beta status after half a year? As it was planned to be an official skin will it be delivered with IPB 3.1?
I wouldn't be angry if its not this way, but im basing my websites look on this skin. I'd like to know what to expect in the future as you promised things in this thread that were not delivered till today.

Archived