"Clean Cut" SKin is GREAT! Should be the DEFAULT skin for IPB 3.x

Speed Racer

[quote name='.Ian' date='26 January 2010 - 05:49 AM' timestamp='1264502981' post='1904322']
IPS have not released an official version yet.

When I asked on the forums, my post was ignored by IPS in the feedback forum, having waited until the new blogs etc. came out and still nothing. I then asked in a ticket and was told it was not an official skin at all and it was a community skin, and that it was dependant upon the community. It was only when I pointed out Lindy's post above that they agreed it was an official skin, but gave no indication of when it would be updated.

I am disappointed with IPS on this skin as they promised it in 3.0.3 (I think) and since then we have had a couple of beta versions and nothing since 3.0.5 was released. It looks poor here and reflects badly on Ehren who originally crafted the skin and won the competition that IPS ran last summer.

All very sad and not up to the usual standard of IPS on what is an excellent skin.

I apologize for any misinformation you were given. Most likely the representative you asked about the skin confused it with the community skins (Classic Blue, Pro, etc.).

[quote name='Camoo' date='26 January 2010 - 06:21 AM' timestamp='1264504864' post='1904328']
The main thing i am missing is communication.
I am very very happy that Ehren published Clean Cut 305 in the Customer Lounge, but i also thought that Clean Cut is an offical Skin and should be released alongside the standard skin. What is when Ehren is no longer supporting this skin? Will it ever leave the beta status after half a year? As it was planned to be an official skin will it be delivered with IPB 3.1?
I wouldn't be angry if its not this way, but im basing my websites look on this skin. I'd like to know what to expect in the future as you promised things in this thread that were not delivered till today.

I would love to answer your questions, but I simply don't have any answers. I don't know what the status is. I do know that I updated the skin in the client area the same day Ehren posted it in the customer lounge, so the "official" copy you can get from the client area is the latest copy released. As I recall, it's under IP.Board Development Releases category.

We're not ignoring the skin, forgetting it completely, etc. I suspect it's just being left on the backburner until Matt makes some needed changes to the skin system for 3.1 to properly protected "root" skins. I'll see if anyone has any more information today they can share.

Brandon, it would take all of 14 seconds for an IPS rep to update the blog section of the skin. That, I believe, is what is getting most people riled. I copied an pasted the default template to make it work. I'm sure someone on the official skin can do the same.

[quote name='bfarber' date='26 January 2010 - 04:13 PM' timestamp='1264522404' post='1904450']
I apologize for any misinformation you were given. Most likely the representative you asked about the skin confused it with the community skins (Classic Blue, Pro, etc.).

Thanks. No idea, but I would expect support staff to know their products, especially when it took me three attempts to get a response that it was an official skin ;) (Thanks to Matt's better half ;) )

[quote name='bfarber' date='26 January 2010 - 04:13 PM' timestamp='1264522404' post='1904450']
I would love to answer your questions, but I simply don't have any answers. I don't know what the status is. I do know that I updated the skin in the client area the same day Ehren posted it in the customer lounge, so the "official" copy you can get from the client area is the latest copy released. As I recall, it's under IP.Board Development Releases category.

We're not ignoring the skin, forgetting it completely, etc. I suspect it's just being left on the backburner until Matt makes some needed changes to the skin system for 3.1 to properly protected "root" skins. I'll see if anyone has any more information today they can share.

Great to hear that you updated the skin for download, but perhaps it might have been an idea to make a post here about it in case people are waiting for a more 'official' download and not from another member? Communication at IPS is great most of the time, but for some reason it has fallen badly with this skin and I do not know why.
[quote name='rbiss' date='27 January 2010 - 02:32 AM' timestamp='1264559528' post='1904762']
Brandon, it would take all of 14 seconds for an IPS rep to update the blog section of the skin. That, I believe, is what is getting most people riled. I copied an pasted the default template to make it work. I'm sure someone on the official skin can do the same.

Indeed - it looks awful and gives a bad representation of IPS. As do the community skins if they have not been updated as, to a visitor these are all official - you and I know that the community ones are not, but a new potential customer does not - he doesn't give two hoots about community products at this stage, he sees it all as one.

• Management

I'm not sure why there is such anger over a skin here :)

It was just updated in the client area a week or so ago and I am sorry we didn't make a big announcement about it. If there are any bugs with it please report them. It's not included in the main download zip, yes, but there are technical reasons for that and we don't want to mess with the 3.0.5 default download just to include a skin.

[quote name='SmashinGarcia' date='27 January 2010 - 04:13 PM' timestamp='1264608838' post='1904996']
The final version of the community skins will be compatible with the latest version of the components :). I really don't remember IPS making any 'promises' about this.

I refer the honourable gentleman to the post above by IPS's CEO. ;)

[quote name='Lindy' date='18 July 2009 - 03:18 AM' timestamp='1247887134' post='1828207']
We will keep the skin updated just as we do the default skin, yes. :)

I'm kind of disappointed here as well, as Cleancut is my skin of choice as well, but since it's not maintained with the package it's difficult to figure out if there's an update for it.

Let us know when we can download the skin with the main package -- I think this is an amazing skin and it's unfortunate IPS is choosing to use their default rather than this, because damn... this is a lot prettier :)

[quote name='Charles' date='27 January 2010 - 08:08 AM' timestamp='1264608520' post='1904994']
I didn't think many people had such strong emotions about a skin :)

We have simply been distracted with core development on new versions and have not had an opportunity to focus on the skin and such.

Some of us have been looking for an alternative skin so we can incorporate banner ads in the header (something we were vocal about from the first sneak preview of IP3, somewhere in what Dec 08?). When the skin contest happened last summer, the CleanCut skin was the obvious solution. Quite excited that a major fault of the design for some of us was going to be fixed. 6 or 7 months later it still isn't officially out?

I understand you don't want to put dates on future feature rollouts, but my biggest gripe is the false impression created about features that are implied or stated as coming soon. 6 or 7 months is not coming soon. Better communication on timing would be appreciated.

Another example is October 19 company blog announcement about a mobile skin coming soon, and to be tested on this forum in just a couple of days. We are over three months in waiting.

You're setting your clients up for disappointment by leaving impressions that some things will happen soon and they don't and there is no communication, or very little, going forward.

http://community.invisionpower.com/blog/1174/entry-3564-New-Mobile-skin-coming-soon/n/

With regards to the CleanCut skin.. the one inside the Customer area is the most up-to-date version of the skin. Despite being labelled as "beta" still, the skin is free of bugs (as far as I know), and there are no issues with the board or any of the official components - so it is entirely safe to use the skin on a live board without any worries. Essentially it's the stable version of the skin, so don't be put off by the beta.

The skin will be updated asap by myself for 3.1.x when it's released, so there shouldn't be any delays in the future. IPS have a lot of work on their plate with regards to 3.1.x (and more recently the upgraded versions of gallery, blogs and downloads). All of the 'classic' skins are community projects - not maintained by IPS, so they're not really responsible for the status of those skins.. with the exception of the mobile skin.

rbiss: The mobile skin has been on these forums for a while, but they may decide to wait for 3.1.x before releasing it..

The skin system itself has some limitations at present, as I explained previously, providing multiple "default" skins. The system needs some tweaks to better handle this, which Matt said he was planning to implement in 3.1. This is why the mobile skin is waiting.

The mobile skin has already been put into the 3.1 package and will be available with 3.1.

[quote name='ehren.' date='28 January 2010 - 05:25 AM' timestamp='1264656322' post='1905345']
The skin will be updated asap by myself for 3.1.x when it's released, so there shouldn't be any delays in the future.

Thanks ehren, keep up the good work :thumbsup:
So am i understanding this right, that Clean Cut is and will be more some thing of community skin and not an "official" skin?

• 1 year later...

[quote name='JVCode' timestamp='1308267541' post='2124436']
Love it, this skin needs updating to work with 3.1.4!
[/quote]

Awesome... you bumped a year and a half old topic, but yea now need to be updated for 3.2 actually.

Archived